Single coils all around :)

Rider1260

Can't own them with out comparing them

DC3 - Is a stunning guitar , solid as a rock , Tone for days , Bigger and Fatter, smoother sounding than most Strats
25 1/4 scale , 10" radius and what feels like a Pattern Regular neck, there is nothing missing or wrong with this guitar it just works like you would expect any PRS to work.
Its a bit brighter than my 305 was and has more " quack " in 2+4 position.

Silver Sky - After playing 2 other SS , I felt like I really needed one, there is something familiar only better.
The pickups are very quite like the DC3 single coil buzz is as low as I have ever heard, no Static or other issues with my guitar.
The body shape is to my eye is the same as a DC3 and the headstock looks better in person than photos.
25 1/2" Scale , 7.5" Radius and a rounder deeper feeling neck that any of my PRS.
This guitar rewards a bit of extra effort when playing.
Chords are really easy and leads are no problem I don't feel the radius or frets.
The neck is really what just works on this guitar.
Other notes - Tuners are really smooth.

and just because my 2003 MIM Fender Strat.
The Mods ( so I could play it at all after playing my PRS )
Modern C Left handed neck worn Nitro finish and locking tuners
Custom paint and Nitro finish
Mann- Made Bridge
Tusq Nut
Fender Tex Mex pickups , shielding paint.

This is one of the good ones , sounds nice but the neck is kinda thin for me I will prob find a U shaped neck down the line.
Really like how the Mann Bridge feels but it made it sound more PRS and less Strat , I like it , more sustain fuller sound that said the DC3 and the SS are far better guitars, to get close to this you need to be in the Master Build territory to get the same feel as the PRS.

The joy for me is that all three are more than different enough ( and great enough ) to own them all !!!!

IMG_4347 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

I’ve said it before, but I love the custom paint job on your strat!

Interesting comparison on the three S style fiddles.

I have a Knaggs Severn, more of a super strat config HSH with a fat neck and 8.5” radius and I’m not gettting along with it. I like thicker necks like pattern vintage too.

Can't own them with out comparing them

DC3 - Is a stunning guitar , solid as a rock , Tone for days , Bigger and Fatter, smoother sounding than most Strats
25 1/4 scale , 10" radius and what feels like a Pattern Regular neck, there is nothing missing or wrong with this guitar it just works like you would expect any PRS to work.
Its a bit brighter than my 305 was and has more " quack " in 2+4 position.

Silver Sky - After playing 2 other SS , I felt like I really needed one, there is something familiar only better.
The pickups are very quite like the DC3 single coil buzz is as low as I have ever heard, no Static or other issues with my guitar.
The body shape is to my eye is the same as a DC3 and the headstock looks better in person than photos.
25 1/2" Scale , 7.5" Radius and a rounder deeper feeling neck that any of my PRS.
This guitar rewards a bit of extra effort when playing.
Chords are really easy and leads are no problem I don't feel the radius or frets.
The neck is really what just works on this guitar.
Other notes - Tuners are really smooth.

and just because my 2003 MIM Fender Strat.
The Mods ( so I could play it at all after playing my PRS )
Modern C Left handed neck worn Nitro finish and locking tuners
Custom paint and Nitro finish
Mann- Made Bridge
Tusq Nut
Fender Tex Mex pickups , shielding paint.

This is one of the good ones , sounds nice but the neck is kinda thin for me I will prob find a U shaped neck down the line.
Really like how the Mann Bridge feels but it made it sound more PRS and less Strat , I like it , more sustain fuller sound that said the DC3 and the SS are far better guitars, to get close to this you need to be in the Master Build territory to get the same feel as the PRS.

The joy for me is that all three are more than different enough ( and great enough ) to own them all !!!!

IMG_4347 by
Hey, I'm trying to make my descision on the Silver sky vs DC3, and was hoping you wouldn't to answer a couple of questions I had. (some of them youv'e already adressed which is great! In the UK after looking for over a year, it seems trying to find somewhere to play a now discontinued DC3 is impossible, so any advise I can get is amazing!

My main guitar is a 2008 cu24 wide-thin neck. How would you say the neck on the DC3 compares to the main line CU's neck carve? I've played the SilverSky a few times now, and to me it feels very "fender-y" in it's profile. You said it feels like a pattern reg neck, so do you think the DC3 is more familiar as a PRS?

There's very little info about the dc3 online but one thing I heard a couple of times was people not liking the pickups. But you said the pickups are are quite similar to the silver sky? As a big Mayer fan myself, do you think the DC3 pickups will be good for me then?

Thanks so much, hopefully I haven't bombarded you with questions, and any info would be great thanks.

Compared to the Wide thin the Standard or Pattern Thin is 1/32"( 0.7938 mm) more narrow and 1/32" deeper
The Silver Sky and the DC3 I feel are the same width ( JM – 1 21/32” ) the Wide Thin is ( 1 11/16” )

As far as the pickups go the 305 pickups have a nice warmer tone and are just a bit compressed ( think Robin Trower , Stevie Ray Vaughn )
I love them to death in both the 513 and the 305 and now my DC3

My Take if you what a PRS Single coil guitar that inches closer to PRS then Fender go DC3 for the shorter scale a PRS neck carve and 10" radius

I like both the SS and the DC3 can't go wrong with ether one ( If you want a maple neck at the moment you will need to find a DC3 )

https://www.prsguitars.com/support/article/neck_profiles

Compared to the Wide thin the Standard or Pattern Thin is 1/32"( 0.7938 mm) more narrow and 1/32" deeper
The Silver Sky and the DC3 I feel are the same width ( JM – 1 21/32” ) the Wide Thin is ( 1 11/16” )

As far as the pickups go the 305 pickups have a nice warmer tone and are just a bit compressed ( think Robin Trower , Stevie Ray Vaughn )

My Take if you what a PRS Single coil guitar that inches closer to PRS then Fender go DC3 for the shorter scale a PRS neck carve and 10" radius

I like both the SS and the DC3 can't go wrong with ether one ( If you want a maple neck at the moment you will need to find a DC3 )

Great, thanks os much for all the info. I think the Dc3 is the one for me then! Only trouble now is trying to find one for sale! In the UK they come up so rarely. thanks

one last thing I remembered - what's it like with one tone pot? is it a master tone? and do you ever find you miss the two 2 pots on a normal strat?

one last thing I remembered - what's it like with one tone pot? is it a master tone? and do you ever find you miss the two 2 pots on a normal strat?

No I rarely use the tone pot on my PRS guitars in general more of a Volume control guy , setting the amp gain pretty high and rolling back the vol to taste.
I have always had an issue with to much low end so I'm not usually wanting to roll off the tone.
I do use it on the Silver Sky on the bridge some ( and strats that I rewire )

Think I'm the same as you. On my squier strat I role the bridge pickup tone pot off otherwise its just too harsh.
I think it's a shame on the DC3 to only have 1 pot though, because on the normal strat wiring you have the tone pot for the bridge pickup and you can just leave it there the whole time.

Back