Similarities to other amps

I played through the DG30 for quite a while yesterday, and was thinking about this thread. The amp is truly a great blend of tones. It reminds me of the stuff that combines to make a great martini. A good gin like Monkey 47, a good dry vermouth, such as Dolin, a dash of bitters and some good Spanish olives. And there you have it! The perfect blend.
Pour me one! I’ll be there in 6 hours.

The HXDA is only based on the Plexi. It's a single channel amp. There's no Fender in it, and there wasn't supposed to be. I've had one since the model came out.

HXDA backstory:

PRS got hold of Duane Allman's original Plexi Superbass that he actually used on 'Live at the Fillmore' and cloned it. While creating it, they discovered that with a few switches, they could switch in parts to make it a Superlead like Hendrix' (I believe they got hold of one of Eric Johnson's Superleads). Thus, HX (Hendrix) and DA (Duane Allman). It absolutely nails both. It's a very authentic sounding, vintage sounding amp that does late '60s Marshall beautifully. It isn't dry and grainy like the later JCM 800s, etc. There's a liquid quality to the tone.

The DG30 was conceived as a blend of Grissom's favorite attributes of his vintage Tweed, AC30 and HiWatt amps. It's a stellar and unique amp and shares the #1 spot in my studio with the HXDA. My feeling is that it sometimes leans Tweed, but has more thickness in the mids, the bass holds up better, and it's fatter than an AC30, too.The tone stack is said to be influenced by the Hiwatt. After experiencing the HXDA, I got the DG30 when it was introduced. It's phenomenal. It also has a boost circuit that can be switched in that alters how the amp responds, and a hi-cut control like the ones on the AC30s. You can do a lot with it.

MDT was Marshall, Dumble, Tweed, not Twin. But as with the DGT it's really its own thing. Based on a short listen, I thought it leaned Marshall more than Tweed or Dumble. But of course, the original Marshalls were copies of the Fender Tweed circuits. Dumbles are in a different place. I don't really hear Dumble in the MDT (was a Two Rock player for a long time, so I'm pretty used to the Dumble style sound).

I should mention that I have some other nice amps, but when I play through the HXDA and DG30, I feel like I'm playing amps on a different level entirely.

perfect.

I have a DG30 and it took me a while to understand the amp, but when you do, it's worth the learning curve. you can have very good sounds with the master down, but it blossoms when you hit the power section harder and that 30 watts guy is loud. unfortunately I can't use it at it's best volume all the time, but whenever I can, its stellar. perfect pedal platform too and I could say that I think this amp made me play better. Can't say how, but I started to play different (my before that amps were a PRS 2 channel H, Mesa TA15, Mesa Mark V). anyway, I will post a video with me playing it. the audio is the DG30 with a Xotic Ep Booster. The audio is one side the one captured on the iPhone and the other side is the guitar into a Suhr PT100 plug in.

perfect.

I have a DG30 and it took me a while to understand the amp, but when you do, it's worth the learning curve. you can have very good sounds with the master down, but it blossoms when you hit the power section harder and that 30 watts guy is loud. unfortunately I can't use it at it's best volume all the time, but whenever I can, its stellar. perfect pedal platform too and I could say that I think this amp made me play better. Can't say how, but I started to play different (my before that amps were a PRS 2 channel H, Mesa TA15, Mesa Mark V). anyway, I will post a video with me playing it. the audio is the DG30 with a Xotic Ep Booster. The audio is one side the one captured on the iPhone and the other side is the guitar into a Suhr PT100 plug in.

Wow, that sounded fantastic!! I really dug the tones, and the vocals, too. Great voice!

I can definitely see how the DG30 changes the playing style a little - the note attack is very articulate and percussive, which really brings out the nuance of one's playing, and it doesn't mush up or hide anything the way some amps can. It requires me to play my best.

It took me a little while to figure out how to get the most out of it, too, because I didn't realize how interactive the tone, gain and master controls were at first. And of course, the boost control switches it into a different beast. So there's a lot going on, and I needed to work with it for a bit to get the most out of it. Now, I wouldn't be without it. It layers well with other amps, and as you say, it's a great pedal platform.

Back