SilverSky String action and pickup height

Kobe

hi guys,

I’ve been loving my latest addition to the family but decided to lower the action alittle bit. Managed to get it down to 1.75mm at 12 fret with some buzz when played acoustically but not coming through the amp. I realise the pickups are now very close to the strings especially the bridge pickup.

What’s the best action you guys found and what pickup heights do you find best?

I would have measured the pup heights before I lowered the action. The one stock Silver Sky I played was perfect in tone straight from the factory. PRS techs dialed it in right, unique and even tone and output on all 5 positions.

My factory setup is 2.25ish on the low E and 2.0 on the high E. I’m going to try 2.0 & 1.75. I’ve only been playing it for 2 nights now and I’m getting use to the factory setup. I can understand how some players like it as it. If you want to run the fretboard, lower action will help. If you like to dig in I can see leaving it. I’m kind of in between.

Those of you who’ve lowered their action, did you just adjust saddles?

Those of you who’ve lowered their action, did you just adjust saddles?

I straightened the neck a smidge before I adjusted the saddles. I’ve had several of these, and frankly I’m not as enamored as most. I haven’t been able to get the action as low as my other models, and that’s due in part to the radius. However, to be fair, I knew coming into the game that this model was not really for me. I keep trying to bond, but I’m neither a single coil fan or a 25.5” scale fan.

I straightened the neck a smidge before I adjusted the saddles. I’ve had several of these, and frankly I’m not as enamored as most. I haven’t been able to get the action as low as my other models, and that’s due in part to the radius. However, to be fair, I knew coming into the game that this model was not really for me. I keep trying to bond, but I’m neither a single coil fan or a 25.5” scale fan.

Just go my first. It sounds great and it’s growing on me but I need that action a touch lower to be happy w it. I don’t’ want to fight with it though. I’m a DTG guy and the factory setup on those is a touch high as well but those lower easily. I’m sure it’s the fretboard radius. I’ll swing the bat and drop the SS .25 across the board and see what happens.

Just go my first. It sounds great and it’s growing on me but I need that action a touch lower to be happy w it. I don’t’ want to fight with it though. I’m a DTG guy and the factory setup on those is a touch high as well but those lower easily. I’m sure it’s the fretboard radius. I’ll swing the bat and drop the SS .25 across the board and see what happens.

I know this is blasphemy, but I find putting 9s on ‘em helped. I use 10s most exclusively, but 9s are more to my liking due to the radius combined with scale length.

My factory setup is 2.25ish on the low E and 2.0 on the high E. I’m going to try 2.0 & 1.75. I’ve only been playing it for 2 nights now and I’m getting use to the factory setup. I can understand how some players like it as it. If you want to run the fretboard, lower action will help. If you like to dig in I can see leaving it. I’m kind of in between.

I’m at 2 and roughly 1.75 in the high E which is how mine came. I’m a bit heavy handed at times but I get no buzz, and speed isn’t a problem for me at this height. I can also do double stop bends anywhere with no hint of fretting out so I assume if you had a lighter touch you could probably go a hair lower as well.

I’m at 2 and roughly 1.75 in the high E which is how mine came. I’m a bit heavy handed at times but I get no buzz, and speed isn’t a problem for me at this height. I can also do double stop bends anywhere with no hint of fretting out so I assume if you had a lighter touch you could probably go a hair lower as well.

Are you measuring with the string depressed at the first fret or just straight up at the 12th?

From the sounds of it, I’ll get this SS in my playable zone. Thanks for the feedback. (I might put 11’s on it)

Back