Silver Sky

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I keep telling myself I'm not interested in a SS. I had a 305 and I thought it was a great guitar but it was a lot different than my humbucker guitars and switching to it at a live show required a lot of different amp settings so it just didn't see enough play time to warrant keeping it. I have a G&L I bought new in 83 so that's my single coil itch scratcher.

I just watched a video titled "Is It Time To Sell Custom Shop Strat?".

I have to admit, that SS sounds incredible in every single video I've seen. I also like the fact PRS listened to the artist and gave them what they asked for plus Paul's attention to detail is off the charts.

So why do I not own one?

1-i don't have room for one more guitar?

2-my friends will call me Mayer fan boy?

3-i have a bunch of rosewood pickup rings that desperately need guitars?

4-i already have the G&L?

5- reverse headstock/OCD?

6- it's too different, can't convince wife I bought it years ago?

7- my practice room is full of florescent lights?

8- I'm afraid of another rabbit hole?

9- because Bodia hasn't tried to sell me one?

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Adore mine. Was very curious, based on all the rave reviews -- which is exactly how I stumbled on so many great things in the past. I now have 2 "Strats" -- a Danocaster that is stellar with rocketfire pickups and the Silver Sky. Both feel and sound different. I find the SS to be one of, if not the most comfortable, best playing necks I have ever tried (and I previously swore off 7.25"). Mine is a late 2020, so it may have bigger frets, etc., based on the Interwebz gossip. Whatever. I love it. Also, it sits incredibly well in the mix with my bandmates. I've gigged with it and it's not going anywhere. Mayer was not a factor for me, but I have even more respect for him since acquiring it (and also Dead & Co.). If you can find it, he did a low quality 45 minute YouTube video explaining what is different about the guitar from a typical Fender and why they made those changes. I was really impressed.

I've had several Custom Shop Fender's over the years and even a couple of Master Builts and the SS is still the only single coil I have ever liked when I play. I love listening to others play them but I have always hated the sound when I play a Strat. The SS for me is what I want in a single coil guitar - the sound, the feel, etc. PRS nailed it perfectly on this one IMO.

Adore mine. Was very curious, based on all the rave reviews -- which is exactly how I stumbled on so many great things in the past. I now have 2 "Strats" -- a Danocaster that is stellar with rocketfire pickups and the Silver Sky. Both feel and sound different. I find the SS to be one of, if not the most comfortable, best playing necks I have ever tried (and I previously swore off 7.25"). Mine is a late 2020, so it may have bigger frets, etc., based on the Interwebz gossip. Whatever. I love it. Also, it sits incredibly well in the mix with my bandmates. I've gigged with it and it's not going anywhere. Mayer was not a factor for me, but I have even more respect for him since acquiring it (and also Dead & Co.). If you can find it, he did a low quality 45 minute YouTube video explaining what is different about the guitar from a typical Fender and why they made those changes. I was really impressed.
I saw that video as well. I was impressed.

Bias would have me tell you to go get one, cuz I love mine.
As a 305 owner myself I didn't really think I'd need/want one. Then a "first 500" popped up on the local CL.
I drove out there thinking that as a first 500, if I didn't like it then it would be an easy sell.
A couple of hours after getting it home I was duly impressed. A couple of practices later I was hooked, and so was my lead player.
Not selling this one, it's a keeper.
YMMV.

So why do I not own one?

Everybody has room for one more guitar. You may have to study Tetris a bit, but everybody has room for one more guitar.

I don't know your friends, so why would I care what they think? There's a whole bunch of people in here would would respect the baller move.

See all that empty space around those rings? Room for - you guessed it - more guitars!

Owning the B & O never stopped me from buying the Reading in Monopoly, so this shouldn't be a concern.

Ignore it. Ignore it. Ignore it. (Sorry - just felt like I had to say that three times.)

Just tell her you have had it for years, then start to tell her other casual lies. The goal is not to be untruthful - it's to make her doubt her memory.

Braggart.

This is the rabbit hole without the teeth. No need to worry about getting bit. But you probably want to wash up afterwards.

Give him time...

Everybody has room for one more guitar. You may have to study Tetris a bit, but everybody has room for one more guitar.

I don't know your friends, so why would I care what they think? There's a whole bunch of people in here would would respect the baller move.

See all that empty space around those rings? Room for - you guessed it - more guitars!

Owning the B & O never stopped me from buying the Reading in Monopoly, so this shouldn't be a concern.

Ignore it. Ignore it. Ignore it. (Sorry - just felt like I had to say that three times.)

Just tell her you have had it for years, then start to tell her other casual lies. The goal is not to be untruthful - it's to make her doubt her memory.

Braggart.

This is the rabbit hole without the teeth. No need to worry about getting bit. But you probably want to wash up afterwards.

Give him time...
Hahahahahahahahahahaha looks like I need another nine excuses!!!

I believe the first Silver Sky I played belonged to Bodia, hmm ok , the second belonged to Brian C and I almost bought that one , I was hooked. spent most of my life as a Strat player and the Silver Sky was the best of all things I loved about my Strats all rolled into one guitar. I grew up on the Fender U shaped neck and loved my 62 reissue Tele the Silver Sky is just right. It does not replace my love for CU22 , 408 , DGT , 513 , etc .

I keep telling myself I'm not interested in a SS. I had a 305 and I thought it was a great guitar but it was a lot different than my humbucker guitars and switching to it at a live show required a lot of different amp settings so it just didn't see enough play time to warrant keeping it. I have a G&L I bought new in 83 so that's my single coil itch scratcher.

I just watched a video titled "Is It Time To Sell Custom Shop Strat?".

I have to admit, that SS sounds incredible in every single video I've seen. I also like the fact PRS listened to the artist and gave them what they asked for plus Paul's attention to detail is off the charts.

So why do I not own one?

I dunno, what do you guys think?
5- reverse headstock makes it easier to use headstock tuners
1- always room for one more lol

I’m going with #’s 6 and 9 too!

I like my SS a lot, just played it before leaving for work this morning. All I can say that hasn’t already been said everywhere online is, regarding your mention of having to drastically adjust amp controls, the SS sounds close enough to a traditional PRS that you can play them both through the same amp, with only some minor tweaks, or maybe an EQ pedal.

Because…

{let’s see, I asked for more colors then they gave me more colors, then they gave me the maple board I asked for, then and then, etc}

… because apparently I need my strat to have major imperfections, be a project, and to feel like a solid chunk of wood.

Yeah I’m out of excuses. I can’t help you.

But honestly, if my first rodeo with the SS would have been a resounding success then I’d own at least one by now. Fortunately for my checking account, it wasn’t love at first sight or feels.

Back