Silver Sky-Why you love it

The quality of the guitar puts it on almost the same level as a Fender Custom Shop at a lower price point. It also blends the most desirable traits from the revered early Stratocasters, that have become difficult to find and gets even bigger bucks. Then tweak it slightly with some modern advances.

The quality of the guitar puts it on almost the same level as a Fender Custom Shop at a lower price point. It also blends the most desirable traits from the revered early Stratocasters, that have become difficult to find and gets even bigger bucks. Then tweak it slightly with some modern advances.

I have to agree. Waiting on delivery of a 2nd SS and selling my Fender custom shop. This will leave me with a rosewood board SS and a maple board SS. I havent wanted to play the Fender since I got the SS.

I personally don’t understand paying more than $1,200 USD for a bolt on. Put a maple cap on it I might spring for a little more.

But that’s just me, & I get that. Just saying, I don’t get it.

Thank you!!!

That wasn’t from me, necessarily, it was from all the others who are waiting for an SS since they can’t keep up with demand.

We all have our “lines in the sand.” Hope your completely unreasonable ones, don’t keep you from your dream guitar. ;)

revisiting my post above...

You can't even buy a MIDDLE of the road American Fender for under $1200 these days, much less Custom Shop. An American Pro - $1599. Takes double that $1200 or more to buy a Thorn, or Suhr, or Anderson or any of the other "good" strats. So the "no more than $1200 for a bolt neck" seems a bit out of touch...

revisiting my post above...

You can't even buy a MIDDLE of the road American Fender for under $1200 these days, much less Custom Shop. An American Pro - $1599. Takes double that $1200 or more to buy a Thorn, or Suhr, or Anderson or any of the other "good" strats. So the "no more than $1200 for a bolt neck" seems a bit out of touch...

I'll wait for the S2 model

I'll wait for the S2 model

I get an SE model as labor and materials costs allow for a lower price, but I’m curious to what you think they would change to meet an S2 price point? Definitely not stirring the pot - I genuinely have no idea how they scale it back to be an S2 but have it still be a Silver Sky in spirit?

I get an SE model as labor and materials costs allow for a lower price, but I’m curious to what you think they would change to meet an S2 price point? Definitely not stirring the pot - I genuinely have no idea how they scale it back to be an S2 but have it still be a Silver Sky in spirit?
Kinda the point. Not much to scale back.

They have everything in them that I like about a Strat -- vintage radius, vintage frets, impeccable QC, good wood, all the best features of my favorite '60s Strats, pickups sound just like '63,'64,'65 types to me, neck carves are best of early '60s too. Not into sig guitars, like Mayer mostly for keeping the Dead thing alive, but he and Paul deserve a ton of cred for getting these so right. Thanks to SS, I am not on the hunt for vintage '60s Strats half my free time. QC so good on SS that I have 4 now and they are all so identical, except my one maple board (love that they did a lam board on it!), which has somewhat more shouldered neck carve.

I hope you're right but it might be a while. That would back-order them about 24 months further than now if they introduced a $1200 S2SS
An S2SS makes little sense. Much of the savings in the S2 is the time saved on the C&C time for the violin carve. I heard somewhere the S2 takes 1/2 the machining time as a core. Add to that the S2 is simpler to finish (less work). The S style body already has a much reduced machining time compared to the core, with a simplified finishing process. The SS already has a bolt on neck and cheaper neck construction, so there it not the savings there either. About the only thing you could do to the guitar is use Korean made pickups, hardware, and "lower" quality woods like the S2's do. I am not sure there is much savings to be had in changing the construction methods, which is a big piece of the cost savings on the S2 line.

An SE SS makes infinitely more sense.

About the only thing you could do to the guitar is use Korean made pickups, hardware, and "lower" quality woods like the S2's do. I am not sure there is much savings to be had in changing the construction methods, which is a big piece of the cost savings on the S2 line.
Exactly. So you have to ask, if you can’t find the cost savings... where is the value?

Exactly. So you have to ask, if you can’t find the cost savings... where is the value?
Yeap, if you go to different hardware maybe you could get the SS down to a $1500 price point. Is that saving enough to justify that model? It there enough room in the market to make that guitar worth it? I just do not see much other saving available. This is basically how Fender already offers different price point Strats. The basic construction is nearly identical with Fender, the neck carves my differ slightly, but that is about it for regular production models.

Therefore, the only way to get construction costs down is to reduce labor cost. This means overseas production, and it all comes back to an SE SS not a S2 SS.

I don’t see $1,000 in hardware alone.

Maybe a satin finish. Maybe an outsourced neck.

I don’t see $1,000 in hardware alone.

Maybe a satin finish. Maybe an outsourced neck.
The SS is currently $2400. They could maybe go back to a poly finish of some type as opposed to the new nitro, but if you are now outsourcing the neck (PRS has not done this to my knowledge) that is only a sort USA made guitar. An over seas version I could see coming in at about $800.

The other issue is the price point change going from $2400 to say $1500 is a big change, but comes nowhere near the $4000 to $1650 you get with the Custom 24's.

Back