Silver Sky... Tough as nails?

dmatthews

Dave's not here
OK here's the scene...
I'm at practice last week. I took my P22 and Silver Sky. I like the variation, and I like backup.
I started out playing the P22 (it's awesome) and offered my lead player the Silver Sky. He jumped on it because it's awesome too!
Now, based on this thread title, you're probably running a movie in your head that ends with my lead player dinging the cr@p out of the SS, but no...
About 45 mins in I blew a string on the P22 (man am I ham fisted). Finished the song no worries (I love hardtail because blowing a string leaves the others mostly intact/in tune).
Of course now in order to carry on I get my SS back and we finish practice in style.
Afterwards we're chatting as usual as I pack up my two guitars and amp. I have been very anal about packing my gear in/out because I love it and want it to last. I play my guitars hard, but I like to make sure they're taken care of.
That being said... ugh... it hurts even typing this...
I use gig bags now.
The P22 is in a SE bag, and the SS is in a 3rd party bag. I grab my SS bag in order to sling it over my shoulder so that the P22 bag can be left hand, and the amp in right hand. But... (shaggy dog story coming to a close... I promise)…

I left the SS bag zipper OPEN!!!
I successfully got the SS bag onto my back, and then I heard/felt it. The SS slid out of the bag and dropped over 3' to the wooden floor. I mentally screamed/cringed as it hit the first time on the bottom of the body, and then the second time as the headstock struck.
A couple of small bounces later it was over.
The look on my lead player's face was nothing short of massive shock.

So... is the SS tough as nails?
Damn straight it is!

Here's a pic of the body damage. It's a scrape that was hard to photograph, and was very light to the touch.

And here is the "damage" on the tip of the headstock. It's hard to even see. It feels like just a rough spot and didn't make it to the wood.

I buffed the body scrape. Can't see it anymore but can feel it slightly.
It was almost completely in tune!
I thoroughly inspected this guitar stem to stern and there are zero issues. No problems anywhere.
PRS... you make fantastic guitars.
Customer for life.

Hope you don't wake up in cold sweats having nightmares! Glad to hear it takes a licking and keeps on, um, jamming....

Hope you don't wake up in cold sweats having nightmares! Glad to hear it takes a licking and keeps on, um, jamming....
My buddy couldn't believe it. I just calmly bent down, picked it up, put it in the case, zipped it up and said "I'm not interested in seeing it until I get home."
I'll never forget the sickening sounds though:oops:

OK here's the scene...
I'm at practice last week. I took my P22 and Silver Sky. I like the variation, and I like backup.
I started out playing the P22 (it's awesome) and offered my lead player the Silver Sky. He jumped on it because it's awesome too!
Now, based on this thread title, you're probably running a movie in your head that ends with my lead player dinging the cr@p out of the SS, but no...
About 45 mins in I blew a string on the P22 (man am I ham fisted). Finished the song no worries (I love hardtail because blowing a string leaves the others mostly intact/in tune).
Of course now in order to carry on I get my SS back and we finish practice in style.
Afterwards we're chatting as usual as I pack up my two guitars and amp. I have been very anal about packing my gear in/out because I love it and want it to last. I play my guitars hard, but I like to make sure they're taken care of.
That being said... ugh... it hurts even typing this...
I use gig bags now.
The P22 is in a SE bag, and the SS is in a 3rd party bag. I grab my SS bag in order to sling it over my shoulder so that the P22 bag can be left hand, and the amp in right hand. But... (shaggy dog story coming to a close... I promise)…

I left the SS bag zipper OPEN!!!
I successfully got the SS bag onto my back, and then I heard/felt it. The SS slid out of the bag and dropped over 3' to the wooden floor. I mentally screamed/cringed as it hit the first time on the bottom of the body, and then the second time as the headstock struck.
A couple of small bounces later it was over.
The look on my lead player's face was nothing short of massive shock.

So... is the SS tough as nails?
Damn straight it is!

Here's a pic of the body damage. It's a scrape that was hard to photograph, and was very light to the touch.

And here is the "damage" on the tip of the headstock. It's hard to even see. It feels like just a rough spot and didn't make it to the wood.

I buffed the body scrape. Can't see it anymore but can feel it slightly.
It was almost completely in tune!
I thoroughly inspected this guitar stem to stern and there are zero issues. No problems anywhere.
PRS... you make fantastic guitars.
Customer for life.

If there is video of this incident it should be posted in Sergio's horror movie thread...

Glad she's OK...

Two things went through my mind as I watched the SRV video, his poor guitar tech! Watching the snake charming bit on the stage and the roadie who was holding onto the back of the amp for dear life! His crew earnt their money!!

Glad she’s ok Dave.

Back