Silver Sky string 'plunk'

P90s

A friend loaned me his Silver Sky for a week. Amazing guitar. Love it. But I noticed something odd. In the upper registers of the G-B-E stings, I became aware that the 'plunk' sound of the guitar pick hitting the string is especially pronounced and interferes with the clear, singing quality of the note. I spent a lot of time A-B'ing it compared it to my Fender Strat, and it's definitely more pronounced on the SS.

When my friend came by to pick up the SS, I pointed this out, and compared to the Strat he noticed it too. He tried lowering the pickups on the SS and that did reduce it somewhat, but not completely.

Has anyone ever noticed this? Is there any way to reduce it? Now that I've focused on it, I have a hard time not hearing the 'plunk' on every note. And otherwise, it's an amazing guitar!

Me either...perhaps I don't want to hear it 'cos then I can't unhear it. Or perhaps its a sound that is normal to others. Yes, a recording would be wonderful!

The strings are to close to the fingerboard. Raise the 3 plinkers up 1/2 turn at least on the bridge saddles. Should be fine then unless you need to do a neck adjustment… probably check the neck first……
There very well could be a high bump in the neck on the upper register or a high fret for that matter.
Sighting down the neck from the headstock on the left side should give you a clue….

Last edited:
Me either...perhaps I don't want to hear it 'cos then I can't unhear it. Or perhaps its a sound that is normal to others. Yes, a recording would be wonderful!
I'm with you. It's like some phantom noise in your car that only you can hear but once you've noticed it, it's the ONLY thing you hear. :) I returned the SS to my friend, so I can't make a recording.

The strings are to close to the fingerboard. Raise the 3 plinkers up 1/2 turn at least on the bridge saddles. Should be fine then unless you need to do a neck adjustment… probably check the neck first……
There very well could be a high bump in the neck on the upper register or a high fret for that matter.
Sighting down the neck from the headstock on the left side should give you a clue….

You're saying the action is too low? That would be an easy one to adjust!

Back