Silver Sky String Height

No way man... by all means you should be doing your own set ups...
Just watch some reputable videos on Strat type guitar setups.
You’ll save hundreds of dollars.
I live in New York and once paid a guy from rivington guitars $260+ to do setup on my mustang and fix a switch. Now I’m all for paying people their worth and for their trade but that price didn’t include cleaning or fret crowning. I vowed to learn how to set up my own guitars so I bought a MIM Strat and started tinkering.
You shouldn’t be afraid with messing with the neck as long as you are turning in small 1/8-1/4th turns. You can always bring it back to where it was if you measure before hand.

Actually took your advice and setup my SS, I think it went very well. However, I still did not touch the truss rod. I think the neck is pretty straight. I will have to learn this part eventually though. Certainly saving a lot, my guy charges $120 per setup, and that's for the most basic stuff.

Update: I just wanted to update the forum on what I did. I took some of your advice's and shimmed the neck. I bought a three pack of strat of maple shims from Stem Mac (sized 1, 0.5, 0.25). I started with a 1 degree. That boy was WAY too high. I couldn't even get the string height up enough.. so removed the neck and just went with the smallest of the three pack. I put in the 0.25. I should warn though that the pre-cut shims do not line up what so ever on a PRS. So I had to do a little careful drilling on the shim and cutting to make it fit right.

So far.... and I will report back... but it seems to be a bit more consistent on string height across the neck. It seems much more comfortable to play. However, this could be placebo effect so I will mess around for a while and report back. its such a slight change that its difficult to tell like with the 1 degree shim but there is certainly a difference. I set it up and its ready to rock. Thank for the input all of you.

Everything is playing great so I’ll probably just put in shorter saddle grub screws.

I ended up buying Fender USA saddle screws the shorter combo pack (1/4” & 5/16”7... worked perfectly (no more screws into the hand). PRS has a great setup and action is more than low enough... not as low as a really flat board but playing with a little higher action is now my preference. Too low and you can’t get any pull on the string during bends, etc. seems to play more lively with a bit higher action.. I’m not shredding so.
Now, I also have a JM sig strat with a ski jump problem at highest frets... had to level a fall away into the whole setup... leaving action just a touch higher than I would like ... any lower and I get a very slight buzz on a couple strings. While I think the quality is a bit better on the Silver Sky, really loving the JM Sig Strat (other than having to worry a bit about the fret issue.. seems ok now but may have to tweak it some more if anything shifts over time). Wondering if shim would give a better neck angle... not sure it would improve the situation to be able to get better action though.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just got my Silver Sky in the mail and noticed sustain tail drop of about half on the G string from frets 13-15. I tried picking up the saddle height but it doesn't seem to help and the action is a little high as it is (as some of you have already noticed). I'm wondering if I have a fret that might be popping, possibly 16. The neck looks pretty good and my relief seems right on. Any suggestions? I contacted Sweetwater about the issue so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Hey guys, I just got my Silver Sky in the mail and noticed sustain tail drop of about half on the G string from frets 13-15. I tried picking up the saddle height but it doesn't seem to help and the action is a little high as it is (as some of you have already noticed). I'm wondering if I have a fret that might be popping, possibly 16. The neck looks pretty good and my relief seems right on. Any suggestions? I contacted Sweetwater about the issue so I'm waiting to hear back from them.
G strings are more prone to sustain drop off due to the tension of a g string. It might be more noticeable in certain construction guitars. Have heard changing strings, checking nut, lowering pickups, checking intonation may have beneficial effects. You might just want to exchange it rather than chase a problem.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/dead-spots.327000/

Last edited:
Back