Silver Sky Static Noise!!

sixstringoverdrive

So I‘ve had this new Silver Sky for less than a week and it has this static problem going on. If I don’t touch anything it has a hum (no, not 60 cycle) and even starts crackling on its own. Once I touch something metal, it stops but pops when I do. And equipment isn’t the problem.

Also when I run my hand up and down the low strings, it produces a static noise with the movement.

In contrast, I’ll pick up my son’s cheap, 3/4 size fender squier and it won’t do this at all.

I’ve read all these notes about static and humidity and using a dryer sheet...but without changing anything (same room, cables, amps) the squier doesn’t have this problem.

Frustrated.

Last edited:
Ugh, frustrated. So I‘ve had this new Silver Sky for less than a week and it has this static problem going on. If I don’t touch anything it has a hum (no, not 60 cycle) and even starts crackling on its own. Once I touch something metal, it stops but pops when I do. And equipment isn’t the problem.

In contrast, I’ll pick up my son’s cheap, 3/4 size fender squier and it won’t do this at all. So a $2,300 guitar has a static problem that a $199 guitar doesn’t - new out of the box.

I’ve read all these notes about static and humidity and using a dryer sheet...but without changing anything (same room, cables, amps) the squier doesn’t have this problem.

Frustrated.

Key word is “new.” Return it and have it corrected or replaced. While I don’t own one (or ever will), I’m sure Rolls Royce has new vehicles that have to be returned. But, like RR, PRS is the top of the game and an excellent track record. I’m confident you will be taken care of to your satisfaction.

BTW and FWIW, I have a Silver Sky that does not have the problems you’ve described so I’m confident yours can be corrected.

Key word is “new.” Return it and have it corrected or replaced. While I don’t own one (or ever will), I’m sure Rolls Royce has new vehicles that have to be returned. But, like RR, PRS is the top of the game and an excellent track record. I’m confident you will be taken care of to your satisfaction.

BTW and FWIW, I have a Silver Sky that does not have the problems you’ve described so I’m confident yours can be corrected.
I second this, on all counts. PRS guitars can have issues, but they’re all fixable and the beauty of a new guitar is the warranty. Use it. I did see another similar issue here not too far back, so perhaps you can find that and see what his resolution was.

I also have a Silver Sky (2018 model) that plays, sounds, and looks incredibly good. I’m sorry to hear that wasn’t your experience, but it can become so.

Also, no Rolls Royce here.

Yep, emailing Sweetwater that this is coming back to them. It’s just really disappointing- guitar sounds great, plays great but I can’t perform or rehearse with this happening.

So here’s what the actual problem sounds like

Yeah, that’s not right. Try another. Weird as it sounds, there was a guy that posted this same problem, maybe a year ago. It turned out to be him. He posted a similar clip, with the same noise. Handed his guitar to someone else, and it didn’t do it. Weirdest thing I’ve seen.

Yeah, that’s not right. Try another. Weird as it sounds, there was a guy that posted this same problem, maybe a year ago. It turned out to be him. He posted a similar clip, with the same noise. Handed his guitar to someone else, and it didn’t do it. Weirdest thing I’ve seen.

Was it Jizzy Jones? He seems to be wet a lot. He nearly shorted out one of Markie’s guitars.

When you touch the jack, it stops?

I’m no electronics genius but I wonder if there’s something that just isn’t grounded, like maybe the bridge wire...

Yes, also when I touch the bridge, tremolo block, metal of the pickup selector, etc.

That’s what it seems like to me too.

That is really weird. Well I hope I have better luck on the replacement.

Ground wire on the trem claw intact? I had this issue on a partscaster I built, turned out the ground wire on the trem claw had broke off. Soldered it back on and that fixed it. Realize that's unlikely on a new guitar but you never know.

Well everyone - I figured it out. It was a combination of some lack of humidity causing static....and the strings! I noticed when I got the replacement Silver Sky from Sweetwater and started replacing the low strings with the Optiweb's from Elixir - and suddenly the problem was back. Something with the coating on the strings? I have since kept non-coated strings on guitar and we are good to go.

Well everyone - I figured it out. It was a combination of some lack of humidity causing static....and the strings! I noticed when I got the replacement Silver Sky from Sweetwater and started replacing the low strings with the Optiweb's from Elixir - and suddenly the problem was back. Something with the coating on the strings? I have since kept non-coated strings on guitar and we are good to go.
Good to know. I've got a Midnight Rose Maple board SS on order, and I use Optiwebs, as well. I'll have to find something else to use on it.

Good to know. I've got a Midnight Rose Maple board SS on order, and I use Optiwebs, as well. I'll have to find something else to use on it.
Well, give them a try at least to be sure. I live in the Midwest and during Fall/Winter/Spring - humidity is super low bumping up the level of static noise.

Back