Silver Sky SE MODS: Sure, why not?

ELPANABANANA

I got this 2022 Silver Sky SE back in May of 2022 as a gift. I considered buying one for some time prior to. I hesitated only because I had a few Core SS's already. My intention was always to modify the SE with these specific mods (similar to what I've done to my Core models), but only if I loved the SE once in hand. . I knew this was an incredible instrument as soon as I played it. It was good to go right out of the box! Just like the Core model. And so, the project was a go and it only took a few weeks to get it back from my tech. I've been loving this guitar since.

Here's what I'll say about modifying a SS SE- it isn't necessary. The SS SE out of the box is an incredible instrument. Such an incredible value for the price. However, if you're looking to hear the same pickup tones from the Core model out of the SE, you won't. That's not a bad thing either. The pickups on the SE sound great. But they are different from the Core model. There are pickups out there that will come close to sounding like the Core model, or better depending on your preference. Maybe the only mods I would see people wanting to make would be Pickups and Locking Tuners. You don't need to go crazy like me and do a complete overhaul. That's just my preference.

My final advice about modifying an SS SE, or any guitar really, make sure you love it first. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of money and time into something that you may not love even after the mods. In closing, I would absolutely recommend an SS SE to any beginner or pro-level player. I hope this was helpful to anyone looking to buy or modify an SE. And remember, it's just wood and metal. Don't be afraid to mess something up.

*Here's the price breakdown of this project in U.S dollars.

SE: $791
Parts: $706.87
Labor: $200 (wiring, routing, assembly)
Total: $1,697.87

Savings of $951.13 from buying a new Core model. You can certainly have bigger savings if you are capable of doing the work yourself and foregoing certain parts not needed based on your preference. Was it worth it? To me, yes. But for you, it may or may not be.

(COPY LINK FOR PICTURES: )

• Custom Bone Nut
• Core SS Tuner Cap Screws (Forgot to install them at the time of these pictures)
• PRS Strap Buttons (Pre 2022 version)
• Mini toggle
• CORE Trem Claw n Screws
• Pearl White Backplate (Mojoaxe)
• HSS Pearl White Pickguard (Mojoaxe)
• CORE PRS Saddles
• Emerson 250k Prewired Kit
• Emerson 500K pot (For Humbucker)
• PRS Treble Pickup (PRS \M/ )
• PRS Vintage Locking Tuners

How does the M balance with the singles?
Hmmm, tbh I'm not a single coil player by default. . I'm a Hard Rock/Metal player with Humbucker needs. But I've always loved the tones i would hear out of middle pickups from Strats. As I've come to do more and more studio playing, the \m/ pickup is the solution to what makes an "S" body guitar a true versatile guitar for me. The missing peice if you will.

I think it's a great pairing to any single coil configuration. I have it coil split enabled by a mini toggle. I'm able to get those sweet and desired single coil tones from blues, to country, to rock ... and when I'm ready for the heavy stuff, I'm able to make the switch to some in your face METAL tones! Or I can flip the toggle and split the coil on the \m/ for some tamed tones.

Love them core saddles. I personally love the SS SE as a mod platform. I too ventured down this path. And have thought about really mixing it up with a bridge humbucker in a single coil shape. I rarely use the bridge single coil solo. But every time I think about I worry about losing position 2 quack so have yet to take the plunge

Love them core saddles. I personally love the SS SE as a mod platform. I too ventured down this path. And have thought about really mixing it up with a bridge humbucker in a single coil shape. I rarely use the bridge single coil solo. But every time I think about I worry about losing position 2 quack so have yet to take the plunge
Me too. They feel better on the palm and look better in my opinion. I know John Mann now offers 3 saddle options for the SE at a little bit lower price than the Core Saddles. Check them out.

You could add a push-pull pot or a toggle switch to coil split the Humbucker so that you can achieve your desired quack on position two. And if you don't like it, you could go back to a single coil again. I would buy another guard versus using the original in the event you want to go back to single. Food for thought.

And have thought about really mixing it up with a bridge humbucker in a single coil shape. I rarely use the bridge single coil solo. But every time I think about I worry about losing position 2 quack so have yet to take the plunge

You could add a push-pull pot or a toggle switch to coil split the Humbucker so that you can achieve your desired quack on position two.

I'm a HSS strat guy myself. I rarely use single/split bridge. Instead of messing with a push pull or mini switch I always wire mine up to auto split with the 5 way in position 2. Works great, easy, and plenty of quack.

I'm a HSS strat guy myself. I rarely use single/split bridge. Instead of messing with a push pull or mini switch I always wire mine up to auto split with the 5 way in position 2. Works great, easy, and plenty of quack.
This is exactly what I would want. I also like the push/pull mod that adds the neck single coil to any position. I gotta do my work to see how I can do this. Shouldn’t be too hard.

This is exactly what I would want. I also like the push/pull mod that adds the neck single coil to any position. I gotta do my work to see how I can do this. Shouldn’t be too hard.
That's a good call. If I added a P/P or toggle That's exactly what I'd do too. It's super easy to wire an auto split with some really good resources on the web.

Yeah. I think I’ll take the plunge. I have the little red devil bridge pickup ready to go. I’ve been intrigued to get that pearly gate sound bridge with a regular strat like pots for normal single coils.

I can’t stand the look of tuners on the SE or core. That grey plastic button is terrible. Swapped my SE to a kluson locking with nickel finish. Absolutely love it. It honestly keeps tune as well as my phase 3’s on the cores. They are a few ounces heavier than the stock but I do not appreciate any neck dive

PzeHHa6.jpg

I can’t stand the look of tuners on the SE or core. That grey plastic button is terrible. Swapped my SE to a kluson locking with nickel finish. Absolutely love it. It honestly keeps tune as well as my phase 3’s on the cores. They are a few ounces heavier than the stock but I do not appreciate any neck dive

PzeHHa6.jpg
I don't see why people get in such a twist about the plastic buttons on the tuners. I like them. They feel good in my fingers. To each his own of course.

EDIT: I did change mine to locking tuners with Gibson style Ivory buttons. Looks better!

Last edited:
Very nice work there. I have an SE SS mod post I should make.

Did the og screws work on the Core saddles with no issue or did you replace them?

PzeHHa6.jpg
These look great! I'm a big fan of the keystone buttons.

Very nice work there. I have an SE SS mod post I should make.

Did the og screws work on the Core saddles with no issue or did you replace them?
Yes, please post. We'd love to see all the SS SE mods everyone has done.

You know, I'm not sure. The Core Saddles come with screws. When swapping out the saddles on my core SS's, i use the same screws. So, it might be the same with the SE.

With this build, I wanted all the old hardware off. Including screws. With the exception of the block and trem, which I haven't found anyone making one for the SE just yet. Not that I find it necessary. But going with the theme of removing all the hardware, I probably would have if it was available when I did this project. I did look into seeing if the Core SS bridge could be retrofitted on the SE. But Customer service said no based on the 6 to 2 screw design.

I don't see why people get in such a twist about the plastic buttons on the tuners. I like them. They feel good in my fingers. To each his own of course.
Mostly, I think this applies to the Core model, but it's because on what is now a $2,600, the plastic buttons look cheap. It's an aesthetic betrayal. And that carried over to the SE owners as well. In my opinion.

I don't have a problem with the Core SS tuners themselves. They do what they're supposed to do and feel great. Heck, even the grey buttons feel decent. However, I find them to look ugly on such a good looking guitar.

Mostly, I think this applies to the Core model, but it's because on what is now a $2,600, the plastic buttons look cheap. It's an aesthetic betrayal. And that carried over to the SE owners as well. In my opinion.

I don't have a problem with the Core SS tuners themselves. They do what they're supposed to do and feel great. Heck, even the grey buttons feel decent. However, I find them to look ugly on such a good looking guitar.
You're not the only one who says that. Or feels that way.

The headstock shape and gray plastic buttons are the main reason some Strat players won't even try a Silver Sky.

Last edited:
Back