Silver Sky pickups feedback squeal and whistle

Detlev Otto

I am owning a Silver Sky (first series) and have noticed immense noise (feedback squealing) when my new 50 W Plexi is in high gain mode with booster or Fuzz. Compared the Silver Sky to all my other Strats (no noise-canceling or humbucker pickups, just standard single coils) and the problem was only with the Silver Sky. Has anyone made the same experience and has anyone a conclusion, what the problem might be? Thanks

I don’t have a Silver Sky, so I can’t comment on their pickups. But if they are unpotted (like vintage pickups), they will squeal a lot more than modern, wax potted pickups.

Hmm sounds like something I should try ( with earplugs )
Does it stop when you are playing or holding the strings ??
I have a Tele that will squeal when I am playing really loud. but no issues with my silver sky's

Hmm sounds like something I should try ( with earplugs )
Does it stop when you are playing or holding the strings ??
I have a Tele that will squeal when I am playing really loud. but no issues with my silver sky's
It kind of stops, when I am playing. But it is the typical squeal that you get when pickups are not waxed. When there is "air" between the coil winding. I do not really want to wax the original Silver Sky pickups.

I had two teles that did that on the bridge pickup.

One was because the bridge was slightly floating above the body near the pickguard. That sounded unreal when it would feedback the notes you played.

The other one was because the baseplate was coming loose.

Try it with an ISP Decimator or something like that. If you can dial it back so it doesnt squeal, without killing the tone, that might help.

It kind of stops, when I am playing. But it is the typical squeal that you get when pickups are not waxed. When there is "air" between the coil winding. I do not really want to wax the original Silver Sky pickups.
All SSS style guitars that I have ever played / worked on just have plastic covers and no wax potting , if you think it is the pickup covers try a bit of masking tape on each pickup see if that stops it.
Also check your grounds

Back