Silver Sky - pick ups noisy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by perius, Jan 11, 2020.

1. perius

perius New Member

Are the Sliver Sky pick ups typical noisy single coils or do they have any kind of noise cancelling built it? On a related note, what are the best noiseless pickups for a Strat style guitar?

2. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Although they are fairly normal single coils in construction, mine seem a bit quieter than my old Strat. In the 2 and 4 positions they are hum cancelling, so I assume the center pickup is reverse wound. As a direct answer to your question, though, they are not silent or “noiseless.”

dmatthews likes this.
  3. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I find them pretty quite for single coils, I have yet to find a noiseless single coil that I liked much. The ones in the Jeff Beck are as good as I have played

4. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

A noiseless single coil pickup isn’t a true single coil, it is a stacked mini-humbucker of sorts, which is how it is hum cancelling.

I have no experience of them in a guitar, but I assume that due to this, they will be different sonically from a true single coil.

bodia likes this.
  5. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I'm with Rick... OK just on this subject...
    Anyway, mine does not exhibit anything noise wise that I would consider an issue at all.

Casi1, bodia and RickP like this.
  6. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Mine seem about as noisy as the ones in my 67 reissue Strat, but not really an issue for me. I love single coil guitars and especially the Silver Sky!

Dirty_Boogie, Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  7. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Just saw today that they will have a maple neck Silver Sky and some nice new colors........GAS forthcoming

bodia, Bill SAS 513 and Alnus Rubra like this.