Silver Sky owners - also play Strats or gave them up?

slide13

I’ve always been a die hard Strat player. First guitar was a Strat knock off then at 16 I got an American Strat Plus in ‘96.

Got back into playing a few years back now and eventually got myself a Custom Shop ‘61 Strat and it’s a great Strat. But last month I was in GC and picked up a Silver Sky and just loved it so I decided to take it home. And now it’s all I’m playing. The neck is more comfortable for me as it’s thicker than my CS and I’m one that actually prefers the lower vintage frets on the SS than the 6105s on my CS.

So, I guess I’m starting to kick around the idea of selling the CS and going with just the Silver Sky for my s-style needs.

Anyone else done this? Happy or regretted it?

I kept one I built as a Gilmour Black Strat because it’s different from regular Strats, and sold two others. No regrets here, but then I’m not primarily a Strat player.

If you’re not in need of the funds, I’d hang onto them, especially because you’re a Strat guy at heart. Never hurts to have a few. If you decide the SS is it, sell them and get another SS. Maybe one maple and one rosewood. Time is on your side.

I love Strat style guitars, and the SS is indeed the pinnacle of strat-ness for me in terms of sound and feel. But I still have other strats and am as much a Fender guy as I am a PRS guy. But my strats have a very different mission so they all work together. One is a American Ultra HSS for modern, heavier tones, and the other is different all together as it’s a ‘Jazz Strat’. I just can’t imagine not having that headstock (inferior as it may be) in my collection.

I can see how your situation is different as the CS and SS are probably in the same ballpark in terms of sound. CS strats seem to hold their value well so as someone mentioned I’d keep it for a bit till you are 100% certain.

Good advice, thanks all!

Definitely not in a hurry, just something I’ve started thinking about after liking the Silver Sky even more than I expected.

Will keep both for a while and see if the feeling sticks around.

I don't currently have an S style guitar. I have had many, many Strats over the years, and a SS. If I were to go back to that ground, I'd buy a SS, no doubt about it.

I went through a couple of strats - MIM and a Am Pro II, but I just couldn't get into em. Last week bought a SS, and the next day had pangs of buyers remorse. But playing it a couple days I'm convinced that it will be extremely hard for a non custom shop strat to beat the SS. It just feels so ... right. I'm done.

I haven’t played my CS Strat since I got my Silver Sky. The SS is lighter, the rosewood fretboard is rolled and the Fender maple is not. The SS is nitro and smells delicious. Plus I really like the trem dropped tight to the body since bending a string doesn’t affect the other strings. I wouldn’t lower my Fender trem to the body because it is nice to have one of each. The SSS Strat has the S1 switch which gives me 10 different sounds, but none sound as good as any of the five positions on the SS. I won’t sell the Fender since I always wanted one, but I could see swapping it out for a different Fender. The Strat is my second and replaced the first. I always wanted a 3 tone sunburst and this one is Sky Blue with a birdseye maple neck. I bought it because it was a CS. The first Strat was an American Deluxe Plus HSS, with sparkle 3 tone paint. The plug in cards for switching were cool, but I wanted the CS so I worked a trade. The Am Dlx Plus was new, the CS was used. I bought the SS because it was a Nebula, the limited edition and the color convinced me I needed one. I never played one before it arrived and I fell in love with it instantly. One day soon I’ll get the Fender out and compare it to the SS, should be interesting. I wish I could find a shop that has a big selection of Strats to allow me to find a replacement for the CS. Maybe after Covid is just a bad memory.

Tough question and really it is about your feel, needs, and sound. In some ways like comparing a Tremonti to a Les Paul?

At first I thought it was just the SS for me. I have a NOS Nebula thats a safe queen, and a player SS that I really like. I would like to sell the Nebula and get another PRS artist or something. I like the SS stainless frets, the feel and set up, as well as the upper access. But a Strat still has its own thing going. Enough that I will hang on to the couple I have now. I think of guitars now like a drawer full of socks. Try the ones that have your attention for that day.

i have played several Silver Sky's but none of them moved me to the point of ditching my CS strats. it's a taste thing.

for that matter, what is the plural of Silver Sky? Skies just seems wrong, as does Skys.

I’ve always been a die hard Strat player. First guitar was a Strat knock off then at 16 I got an American Strat Plus in ‘96.

Got back into playing a few years back now and eventually got myself a Custom Shop ‘61 Strat and it’s a great Strat. But last month I was in GC and picked up a Silver Sky and just loved it so I decided to take it home. And now it’s all I’m playing. The neck is more comfortable for me as it’s thicker than my CS and I’m one that actually prefers the lower vintage frets on the SS than the 6105s on my CS.

So, I guess I’m starting to kick around the idea of selling the CS and going with just the Silver Sky for my s-style needs.

Anyone else done this? Happy or regretted it?

I’m in...humbucker in the bridge option?

Back