Silver Sky NGD(!), question about finish

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by andy474x, Jul 16, 2021.

1. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Ironically, a gold Silver Sky. I ran the racks at my local shop (bigtime F dealer) and couldn't find a Strat that held a candle to the SS. From build quality to tones, it was an easy choice.

The odd thing is, I tried a few Silver Sky models when they came out, and didn't click with them, which is how I ended up with my S2 Studio. The neck finish on this one is more consistent, if memory serves, the other ones had thicker finish on the neck and some uneveness, and for some reason they just weren't ringing out the way I wanted, plugged in or not. But this one is everything that kind of guitar should be!

Things I like: Neck shape, rounder on the back and a little more substantial. No cheesy tint lacquer (poorly) applied to the maple neck, no fret sprout (looking at the big F on those items). And, maybe most of all, that sound!!! All the Strats I tried lacked authority in their tone, because they had no midrange. Bright, glassy tone, but nothing to back it up. The Silver Sky speaks with so much more mid authority, which makes all the pickup positions infinitely more useable. I can't get over playing it into my Sweet 16!

[​IMG]

So, a question for someone who might know - this is a late 2019 model (November), what kind of finish is on the neck and body? Memory tells me they were a poly finish on the body, and nitro on the neck. I know they changed to the new finish spec at some point, which I would think is the CAB/nitro over poly on the body, and maybe still just nitro on the neck.

And, has anyone with the same finish as this guitar, if it's nitro on the neck, had any problems with the Hercules wall hangers?

2. Moondog Wily

Moondog Wily Howlin' At The Moon!

Tasty choice! Wish I could help on the finish question, but I have no clue!! Congrats and enjoy it through that autographed Sweet 16!!!

Ovibos and andy474x like this.
  3. RallyFanatic

RallyFanatic Perpetual musical mid-life crisis

You are correct that 2019 would be a poly body and nitro neck, however it’s unclear when they made the switch to nitro bodies for 2020 builds so a November build could go either way. Mine is the same color, but a September 2019 build, it’s definitely poly.

I also use Hercules hangers, but I wrap the rubber bits in cotton (actually fingers from a glove) just to be safe. No problems after a year and a half.

[​IMG]

I did see a post on social media from John Mann that Golden Mesa is being discontinued which is a shame, it’s my favorite color.

Enjoy your new Silver Sky!

grausch, Grapeshot, jm9239 and 4 others like this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Hottie! Agree on the neck being nitro. Timeline makes the body a tough call.

andy474x likes this.
  5. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Beautiful guitar! Congrats

andy474x likes this.
  6. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

That gold’s a classic color, and always looks great on stage. I’m glad you found one that plays and sounds like you want!

Edit: Mine has been on a String Swing hanger for nearly a year, with no reaction at all at the contact points. I’m not sure if they use the same material as Hercules.

#6 RickP, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    andy474x likes this.
  7. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Yummy!

andy474x likes this.
  8. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Congratulations. Even with finishes that I don’t think will be affected by a hanger, I use the ankle part of an old (clean) black sock on my Hercules hangers, similar to the glove idea.

andy474x and bodia like this.
  9. Daniel Elam

Daniel Elam New Member

I have a 2019 Golden Mesa as well. Poly body, nitro neck. 99% yours is as well. I’ve had mine on the wall or in a hanging stand since I got it and no issues with foam covered bits doing anything to the finish. Not Hercules though. Are they covered with foam or rubber?
    [​IMG]

10. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

I have zero answers to your questions, but that’s a great looking guitar!:)

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

How did the dealer display it (if it was in fact displayed)?

Regardless, they do make guitar cases you can keep them in.... ;)

12. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Love the Golden Mesa Finish , I will likely get a Maple board one down the line to go with mine.
    I have a 2018 and 2019 and use String Swing hangers with no issues

[​IMG]Silver Skys by

grausch, jm9239, RevBillyG and 7 others like this.
  13. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Oh no... now I have to be that guy!!!

The Silver Sky comes with a gig bag, so given my choices of gig bag or just put it on a hanger, I'm partial to the hanger. Gig bags are kinda a PITA to use at home, the tuning keys always get jostled, and I just don't like dragging guitars in and out of them.

Just to clarify, I'm definitely not whining about it not coming with a hard case. Going out of the house, 100% prefer a gig bag for this kind of guitar. They're a utilitarian tool, I'm not as concerned as I would be with my 594, which lives in the hard case.

Maybe I should dig around to see if either of my older generic hard cases will fit.

14. The Steady

The Steady New Member

My search for the right s-type took me away from the Big F as well, but I landed in G&L land for my singlecoil needs.

It's my boyhood dream of what the perfect LP Special/SG should be that has me now into PRS offerings as well.

I didn't end up with the brands I coveted but I got the guitars I wanted in the end.

15. BeerBatteredPhish

BeerBatteredPhish New Member

The irony of two Silver Skies hanging in front of a F Custom Shop poster;)

16. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Isn’t that like two brothers standing in front of a photo of their cousin?!;)

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Nah, I was just kidding around.

I'd probably get the hard case if I got a Silver Sky because I like hard cases, and use those humidipaks to prevent fret sprout and other setup problems. But the gig bags SS' come in are quite nice. If you don't use humidity stuff, it's plenty of protection for the instrument.

aphantomvaper likes this.
  18. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

I've been using hercules stands and hangers exclusively for the past 10/15 years without an issue. I hear positive about string swing as well, but I'm a hercules guy.

aphantomvaper likes this.
  19. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

Guitars stay in cases/bags unless being played...and Older Hercules Single stands all day...Only issues I've experienced are the really older spring-loaded handles to adjust height tend to rot and fall off. (Mine are VERY old)
    I've removed those handles altogether and put a screw through the 2 tubes/pieces, keeping them at one height...permanently. But they are rock solid.

20. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

Cases are a cool reveal when opening and seeing the guitar.

Bags are great for travel and carrying. I use both, and Wall hangers. My S2 nitro has no used on the wall hangers for the last 6 months.

I don't have a Silver Sky.