Silver sky neck

gioforce76

Bartender to the stars
I saw another thread here , is the 2020 rosewood neck really reshaped from the original run and different from the new maple necks . I was going to buy one but unfortunately no one has one to try around here to try first . Then I saw that thread about reshaping a silver sky neck. Jus hoping the silver sky experts around here could help me . Thanks

From the SS product page:

The Silver Sky comes with the option of a rosewood or maple fretboard. The maple fretboard option comes with the original 635JM neck shape, while the rosewood fretboard option has been subtly modified in the shoulders to feel more “rounded” in your hand. Both neck shapes were designed by researching vintage instruments and Mayer test-driving guitars on stage to find what felt right. The fretboard radius on both options is 7.25”.

here’s the link: https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/silver_sky_2020

From the SS product page:

The Silver Sky comes with the option of a rosewood or maple fretboard. The maple fretboard option comes with the original 635JM neck shape, while the rosewood fretboard option has been subtly modified in the shoulders to feel more “rounded” in your hand. Both neck shapes were designed by researching vintage instruments and Mayer test-driving guitars on stage to find what felt right. The fretboard radius on both options is 7.25”.

here’s the link: https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/silver_sky_2020
Thank you so much , I really would like the newer shape but not a rosewood fretboard .

Thank you so much , I really would like the newer shape but not a rosewood fretboard .

would be nice if they had both options for both necks! I love my neck, but now I’m curious as to what the new one will be like. I think there’s lots of great routes they can take with the silver sky over time in terms of different models, and I’ll probably buy all of them lol

I what I really can’t stand is the saddles..... I know it mimics vintage saddles and JM wanted these but I’d prefer traditional PRS saddles/trem bridge, But, I’m not JM :rolleyes:

I what I really can’t stand is the saddles..... I know it mimics vintage saddles and JM wanted these but I’d prefer traditional PRS saddles/trem bridge, But, I’m not JM :rolleyes:
At least they re-tooled them to not tear your hand apart. Tosca posted some great pics of his SS saddles compared to his 60s Strat saddles. Much better/smoother.

At least they re-tooled them to not tear your hand apart. Tosca posted some great pics of his SS saddles compared to his 60s Strat saddles. Much better/smoother.
I hear ya, I just love the PRS floating trem and saddles, different strokes for different folks.

I would love to hear a sound comparison of an SS with stock trem and saddles and one with a floating trem and traditional PRS saddles.

I hear ya, I just love the PRS floating trem and saddles, different strokes for different folks.

I would love to hear a sound comparison of an SS with stock trem and saddles and one with a floating trem and traditional PRS saddles.
Yeah, I’m with ya. I’d prefer the normal PRS saddles, too. I’ve got a Midnight Rose on order. Maybe I’ll order some saddles.

I was never a fan of the vibratos screwed all the way down to the body, that’s why I love PRS floating vibratos. My old number one Guitar my 1999 blue custom 24 (still have) Has the up tremolo route which I love even more.

Back to the neck carve, I have heard that the difference is pretty subtle on the new 635JM-R carve. Like if you played two back to back with the different carves, you might not notice.

That said, I had a Silver Sky for a while when they first came out, I have played a few recently, and I thought the shoulders were a little on the bulky side. So the idea of having one with slightly softer shoulders sounds appealing.

I happen to have one incoming, 2020 Rosewood with the new carve, just ordered it this morning. After I get it in I will compare to Rider1260’s with the 635JM Carve and we can report back. :)

Yeah, I’m with ya. I’d prefer the normal PRS saddles, too. I’ve got a Midnight Rose on order. Maybe I’ll order some saddles.
Midnight rose is definitely the color I’d be getting. I’ll probably check out the SS again but I’ll bring my MEV and do a single coil sound comparison in the store. Right now the MEV is pretty much all I need until the next great thing comes out LOL

Back to the neck carve, I have heard that the difference is pretty subtle on the new 635JM-R carve. Like if you played two back to back with the different carves, you might not notice.

That said, I had a Silver Sky for a while when they first came out, I have played a few recently, and I thought the shoulders were a little on the bulky side. So the idea of having one with slightly softer shoulders sounds appealing.

I happen to have one incoming, 2020 Rosewood with the new carve, just ordered it this morning. After I get it in I will compare to Rider1260’s with the 635JM Carve and we can report back. :)

I only spent about half an hour to 45 minutes with one I tried in a store and I don’t remember the neck bothering me, like ... and I’m going to catch hell for this..... the pattern vintage on the 594. That neck really hurt my thumb and hand after only 15 minutes of playing. It bothers me so much because I loved the guitar. I’m gonna look for a 2020 Rosewood SS near me and check it out.

Midnight rose is definitely the color I’d be getting. I’ll probably check out the SS again but I’ll bring my MEV and do a single coil sound comparison in the store. Right now the MEV is pretty much all I need until the next great thing comes out LOL

What I was really GAS’ing for was an ME V (partly because of you, Andrew!).

My heart said ME V, but my wallet said Silver Sky. :)

I saw another thread here , is the 2020 rosewood neck really reshaped from the original run and different from the new maple necks . I was going to buy one but unfortunately no one has one to try around here to try first . Then I saw that thread about reshaping a silver sky neck. Jus hoping the silver sky experts around here could help me . Thanks
I have had an opportunity to try both the maple and rosewood neck silver sky out for about a week. The necks are incredibly different! The rosewood is much smaller and has a thick layer of lacquer . Very modern c shaped feel. The lacquer was way too thick for my tastes. The maple fingerboard neck was very large in my hands. It reminded me of the Richie Kotzen telecaster neck, very large with big shoulders(the Kotzen neck is a bit larger). Plus it had a light satin finish. I find it odd these differences aren't mentioned in descriptions when you go to purchase the guitar. Sadly I couldn't gel with either model. Had the rosewood fretboard neck come with a satin finish it would have been perfect. Amazing sounding guitar but for $2400.00 I wasn't going to settle for anything I didn't really like.

Back