Yea man. I don't think it will either.
I might get a McCarty 594 instead. I like the PRS "thing" but the Silver Sky Neck is just crazy weird.

I hope you get that Nebula SS soon so you can report back!
Sounds like it'll be a significant enough change
That was last summer so RW only. I have SS Nebula on pre-order due this summer, if it has thinner shoulders I think I will like it even more.

What happened is that the first one I got (with the neck I liked) was great feeling and sounding but had finish issues where having it stored in the gig bag from PRS to the dealer to me left minor marks on it and also looked 'porous' (not perfectly smooth).

Returned it to get a different one, and the neck on the second one didn't feel right to me. Slightly uncomfortable.
I ended up getting that first one back. By the time I got it back the finish marks from the gigbag were gone (the dealer couldn't see them when they got the return), the finish was still somewhat porous looking but you have to look real hard.

I've compared several 2021 - 2023 Silver Sky SE's and there is quite a bit of variation in the "rolling" of the edges - not a significant amount as fas as profile measurement goes, ...it's really more of a "feel" thing and the same is found on various Fender, Gibson and other models.

However, reducing the "severe" or "sharp" feel to the edges is not a matter of just rounding the wood off to soften the feel. When I "roll" (or increase the rolling) the fretboard edges on any guitar it almost always involves at least a minor fret dressing: rounding tops of the fret ends, and unless asked not to creating a "bullnose" for a smooth feel. Then the frets are re-polished, followed by (depending on the guitar) using various colors or hardening oils (Tru Oil is basically a Danish oil - same thing), thinned lacquer, polyester or polyurethane (I was in the coatings busines for decades and can test for compatibility) and buff it out to a satin or gloss finish. The finish or oil touchup, however, is minimal.

My point is it's not a DIY operation. Most take very little time, but only if you have the tools, knowledge and experience. In some cases it can void a warranty, so that's another consideration. And quality work is not cheap.

But most tech shops who specialize in "tweaking" a guitar's (or amp's) feel and/or sound to meet customers needs (rarely the guy with a desk in a corner of a general retail guitar store) can take care of this - assuming you can communicate your needs clearly. And do not be surprised if its 3 weeks to a month or more before the instrument is touched, as good shops are busy and backlogged.

Hope that helps.

I'm admittedly biased , but agree 1000% take it to a Luthier who does this regularly (not all do ) Ideally take a reference guitar with you . Luthier's ( at least any you want near your instrument) have radius gauges and blocks to shape the neck to most standard norms , the more information you give us , the better the end product. While that sounds simple , after 40 years in Lutherie I can tell you ..it's suprisingly rare to have enough...
neck-carving-template-dreadnought-martin-style-acrylic.jpg

If you can try a Fiore likely a better neck profile for you.
I grew up on Fender U shaped and Vintage C necks so the SS is perfect for me.

Back