Silver Sky.. neck finish issues?

Sweetwater will take care of you.
There are 30+ used SS and around 420+ brand new Silver Skys just on Reverb and just in the continental US at the moment.
I'd say you have a really great shot finding one with a dark fingerboard and really attractive price ;-)

That said, while I love my SS the finish quality on mine doesn't compare favorably to finishes from other guitars in this price range.
It arrived with marks onto the finish left by the gig bag's interior. You could literally see the texture from the fabric transferred onto the surface, but it was only really visible at a specific light angle.
After couple weeks they were gone, which tells me the finish wasn't fully cured when it left the factory.
It also looked 'porous' from the get go (not a 100% perfect gloss), kind of what you'd expect after some time when the finish 'sinks in'.

Finally, on many of them I've seen in stores as well as some here (like some of the Nebulas) the surface is overall not as flat as it ought to be for a pro finish. Not that big of a deal as they are wonderful sounding/playing guitars, but I wouldn't call out Fender on fit/finish when the SS is hardly a gold standard based on the one I own and the ones I've seen in stores.

The markings on the finish probably happened when it was vibrating in transit. It's pretty crazy what a shaky plane can do in just a few hours, it's like sandpaper or sometimes a spinning string can wear deep into frets from it.

My best strat was a 59 NOS Custom Shop and it was flawless. AVRIs are a great guitar but simply dont' have the finish work or feel in the hands or woods of a CS in most cases, though there are exceptions. Unfortunately I let it go since I was playing all humbucker guitars at the time.

I'll probably look for a used SS and play that until PRS releases a higher spec model or until I find another NOS CS strat that has what I'm looking for.

I've heard reports (anecdotal, of course), that this is more marketing than reality.

Well I am in the UK, not USA so have no personal experience. However Phil Mc Knight recently reported that he has been invited to attend this inspection and see what they do. Should be pretty soon.

Well I am in the UK, not USA so have no personal experience. However Phil Mc Knight recently reported that he has been invited to attend this inspection and see what they do. Should be pretty soon.
Of course they can do one in front of a camera. What I am talking about is people getting instruments where it's obvious that many of these 'points' weren't even looked at.

Phil Mc Knight recently reported that he has been invited to attend this inspection and see what they do.

It stands to reason that what someone is supposed to do, or what someone would do when they have a guest visitor filming for youtube is different than what happens day to day.
We're all human and make mistakes and these days there are plenty of distractions. Bottom line is that Sweetwater is making it right and that's all you can ever ask of any vendor. I'll buy from them again.

In my experience the issue you had or any issue for that matter is few and far between.
Of my 20 or so PRS only 1 had an issue and PRS fixed it for free even out of warranty.
All my new PRS have been completely flawless ( including 2 Silver Skys )
Happy Hunting

Back