Silver Sky.. neck finish issues?

SonicBlue

Have any of you bought a silver sky and had issues with the neck finish?

Opened this from sweetwater just now and as I ran my hand down the back of the neck I immediately felt what I thought were dents. At first I thought it was from the guys at Sweetwater since they inspect them, but close inspection it looks like it's some globs of laquer. Immediately noticeable when you run your hand along the neck. Also the general feel of laquer on the neck is a bit tacky and maybe just slightly orange peeled.

I've owned about 8-9 PRS core and higher guitars, but this is the first time I've experienced anything less than perfect from them.

It's hard to photograph clear laquer on light maple but I tried. You can see some of it in the middle/lower area of the flash glare. It's about a 1" x 2" area on the back of the neck that has some random bumps and such. I would expect this from Gibson but not PRS. Pretty disappointing.

ekNPYXS.jpg

Last edited:
It's funny too because I've wanted one since they were first released but held out, hoping they would release a higher spec version with no scarf joint, a flamed neck, darker fretboard and maybe a little higher level PRS treatment.
I finally got sick of waiting so I pulled the plug and this shows up. :(

I'm returning the thing.

Pretty sad that it can get past 2 signatures at PRS on the hang tag and 2 inspectors at Sweetwater, but I found it within 5 seconds of picking it up. Clearly no one ran their hand down the neck as part of their inspection or QC process.

Last edited:
I'm returning the thing.

Pretty sad that it can get past 2 signatures at PRS on the hang tag and 2 inspectors at Sweetwater, but I found it within 5 seconds of picking it up. Clearly no one ran their hand down the neck as part of their inspection or QC process.

So, what did your dealer say when you contacted them about your concern?

Last edited:
If it's nitro, all sorts of weird stuff can happen to it.

If the bumps are above the surrounding finish, it's a possible factory defect or repair.

If the bumps are more like little dents it could be the lacquer settling/sinking.

So, what did your dealer say when you contacted them about your concern?

They said someone would be in contact with me and stopped responding to emails. Though we are going into a holiday weekend in a pandemic so I understand not everything happens quickly these days.

Honestly, I wish they'd knock $500 off and I'd keep it and sand the neck down. But no way am I paying retail for this. I could handle a ding or two to the body but the neck is sacred ground - for a new guitar purchase it should be flawless.

That’s too bad. I would have hoped that they would offer to set you up with a shipping label and asked if you wanted a return, replacement, or repair.
Don’t be hesitant to deal with a different shop. The many who are active on the forum have good reputations.

I'm returning the thing.

Yeah, I’d return that one.

But on the bright side, that lacquer is WAAAAY thinner than the SS models I played when they first came out. Yours looks almost satiny like my old DC3!

I’m glad they thinned that goo out.

But alas, lacquer boogies would be a no go for me.

Got it worked out and have a return label. It's going back.

I'll keep my eye out for another Frost with a solid black fretboard, probably used and give it some consideration. I'm a bit gun shy on the SS now. So far I'd put the Silver Sky above Fender Professional but below FCS due to being able to get better woods from Fender and a little better finish work. But you do pay for it. Unfortunately Fender uses up their best woods on their relics and I can't stand that crap (no offense). The NOS FCS models are few and far between so it's hard to find the specs you want on them. Not finding what I wanted is part of what pushed me to get this SS rather than continue waiting for an upgraded spec version from PRS.

I'm a sucker for straight grain quartersawn maple, black rosewood and light resonant bodies. Build that into a Platinum Sky and I'm a buyer.

Seems a shame. Obviously you must be happy about the guitar condition.
I have played a Silver Sky and recall the neck finish feeling satin like.

Personally I don't think I'd have be too troubled over the flaw you found. I've just found this 55 point inspection checklist that Sweetwater use. Perhaps they thought the same way?

The 55-point Inspection* Checklist:

Handling
  • 24-hour climate acclimation & professional handling
  • Inspect case/gig bag interior & exterior
  • Verify contents & accessories
Cosmetic and Construction Inspection
  • Inspect & polish body
  • Fingerboard surface
  • Neck & neck joint
  • Strings
  • Plastic parts
  • Hardware
  • Inlays
  • Binding
  • Nut
  • Headstock
Hardware Check
  • Motion/vibration test
  • Bridge
  • Tuning machines
  • Strap buttons
  • Truss rod cover
  • Pickguard
  • Output jack
  • Switches
  • Potentiometers
  • Pickup screws & rings
  • Neck joint screws/bolts
  • String trees
  • Battery compartment
  • Locking nut
Electronics Testing
  • Output jack & plug fit
  • Pickup switching
  • Potentiometers
  • Pickup splitting/tapping
  • Onboard tuner & battery
  • Electric pickups
  • Acoustic pickups
  • Onboard preamp
  • Onboard effects
  • 13-pin pickup
Playability Check
  • Check tuning machines & tune to pitch
  • Stretch strings & tune to pitch
  • String & saddle position
  • Neck relief
  • Frets
  • Action height
  • Intonation
  • Pickup height
  • Tremolo system
  • Play test all notes on the fretboard
  • Play test a variety of half- & whole-step bends
  • Play test a variety of chords & styles
Tune and Polish
  • Tune to pitch
  • Polish instrument
Packing
  • Inspect/refresh packing material, as needed
  • Professional repack
  • Store in climate-controlled warehouse
  • Double-box for shipping

I used to work for a guitar manufacturer. Part of my job was to inspect every guitar that came in for return or repair. I didn’t always see issues unless they were super obvious. To do a good inspection I ran my hands over every surface. I felt cracks, dents and dings, and finish issues that I would have otherwise missed. I agree it would have been pretty easy for the inspectors to catch this.

I used to work for a guitar manufacturer. Part of my job was to inspect every guitar that came in for return or repair. I didn’t always see issues unless they were super obvious. To do a good inspection I ran my hands over every surface. I felt cracks, dents and dings, and finish issues that I would have otherwise missed. I agree it would have been pretty easy for the inspectors to catch this.

Yes a hand sees a lot more than an eye!

I’ll second the others above... look around and get another one. After owning a ton of Strats, along with one “I’ll never sell” I encountered a 2018 Silver Sky and the sell-off began. It’s just a better guitar, and by such a margin that keeping the others I had seemed pointless. I kept one... a Gilmour copy I built from a 90s Strat Plus. The others have found new homes.

I totally get being gun-shy after a bad experience, but get back on that horse.

I’m sure you will find another one with a dark almost black board... they are out there, I’ve seen them. The issues with this one seem to be a one off type thing. Sweetwater will take care of you.

You will find another one. And this is from somebody who played several Silver Skys and subsequently kept all of her Strats. I still don’t own a Silver Sky. They are just not my thing. My Strats sound good, feel better/more substantial to me, and I can change the pickups whenever I want to.

Seems a shame. Obviously you must be happy about the guitar condition.
I have played a Silver Sky and recall the neck finish feeling satin like.

Personally I don't think I'd have be too troubled over the flaw you found. I've just found this 55 point inspection checklist that Sweetwater use. Perhaps they thought the same way?

The 55-point Inspection* Checklist:

Handling
  • 24-hour climate acclimation & professional handling
  • Inspect case/gig bag interior & exterior
  • Verify contents & accessories
Cosmetic and Construction Inspection
  • Inspect & polish body
  • Fingerboard surface
  • Neck & neck joint
  • Strings
  • Plastic parts
  • Hardware
  • Inlays
  • Binding
  • Nut
  • Headstock
Hardware Check
  • Motion/vibration test
  • Bridge
  • Tuning machines
  • Strap buttons
  • Truss rod cover
  • Pickguard
  • Output jack
  • Switches
  • Potentiometers
  • Pickup screws & rings
  • Neck joint screws/bolts
  • String trees
  • Battery compartment
  • Locking nut
Electronics Testing
  • Output jack & plug fit
  • Pickup switching
  • Potentiometers
  • Pickup splitting/tapping
  • Onboard tuner & battery
  • Electric pickups
  • Acoustic pickups
  • Onboard preamp
  • Onboard effects
  • 13-pin pickup
Playability Check
  • Check tuning machines & tune to pitch
  • Stretch strings & tune to pitch
  • String & saddle position
  • Neck relief
  • Frets
  • Action height
  • Intonation
  • Pickup height
  • Tremolo system
  • Play test all notes on the fretboard
  • Play test a variety of half- & whole-step bends
  • Play test a variety of chords & styles
Tune and Polish
  • Tune to pitch
  • Polish instrument
Packing
  • Inspect/refresh packing material, as needed
  • Professional repack
  • Store in climate-controlled warehouse
  • Double-box for shipping

I've heard reports (anecdotal, of course), that this is more marketing than reality.

I've heard reports (anecdotal, of course), that this is more marketing than reality.

Sweetwater probably has to make adjustments and address issues on 95% of Gibsons, 50% of Fenders and 0% of PRS so they just pass the PRS's through to the customer and rely on what is normally a top notch QC process at the PRS factory.

(Gibson should fire some attorneys and executives and hire more luthiers, guitar techs and QC staff. Fender should spend less time relicing and more time and effort into build quality, fit and finish. /end of rant. )

Back