Silver Sky neck and small hands

Isaac cruz

I’ve heard the SS neck being described as baseball bat and chunky several times. I have small hands and have trouble with necks like the 594’s.

I was wondering if the SS neck would give trouble to someone with small hands. Unfortunately, I have no way of trying one out.

My hands are not that big - NO ISSUE AT ALL with the neck. Certainly smaller than a Santana and maybe a pattern????

I think casi1 commented about the ss neck being a bit too big. See if you can pm her and get her opinion.

I have what my friend called “Billy Barty hands”. No problems with the Silver Sky neck. It doesn’t feel as big as the 594 neck to me.

The Silver Sky neck is similar to an old school C neck ( not the modern C ) it is not as big as a Pattern Vintage or Santana to me it felt like a cross between a Pattern and a Standard fine for small hands IMHO

The Silver Sky neck is similar to an old school C neck ( not the modern C ) it is not as big as a Pattern Vintage or Santana to me it felt like a cross between a Pattern and a Standard fine for small hands IMHO

I would agree with this take.

whew.....I'm just glad that after I read the thread post title, the conversation actually was about a guitar's "neck size" and actually about the size of someone's "hands".....

I didn’t think the SS neck was super huge... but to me, it did have a significantly different profile than all other PRS necks.

But I get along just fine with Pattern, Pattern Vintage, and the Santana Retro neck so I might not be the best judge of what’s too big...

:oops:

I can’t do the WF because of the shoulders.

The SS neck reminded me of the neck on an old Fendr Lead 2 (kind of a medium chunky C... but definitely not a SRV ridiculous D shape).

I’ve got girlie hands with long fingers.

My main prob with the SS was the gooey lacquer.

The shoulders are bit large on the SilverSky Neck. It's a little chunky for me. I don't have super small hands. I would consider them to be slightly smaller than average male hands.
Maybe it takes getting used to. I'm a little frustrated right now.

This is SO subjective, but while I did find the SS neck generally beefier than the average Strat or Ibanez neck, I would never call it ‘big shouldered’. Sorry you didn’t like it.

I am really picky about neck shape. I play only wide/thin and Ibanez. But I played an SS and thought I could easily live with it. It’s certainly more comfortable than wide/fat for me.

But I get along just fine with Pattern, Pattern Vintage, and the Santana Retro neck so I might not be the best judge of what’s too big...

:oops:

I can’t do the WF because of the shoulders.
I thought Pattern was a slight variation of Wide Fat?

I thought Pattern was a slight variation of Wide Fat?

That’s what they say, lol.... but the shoulders are different so the ‘wideness’ of the wide fat is what my hand doesn’t like. There’s a wideness and flatness to the WF that’s not there on the Pattern. At least to me. All of my Pattern necks are basically soft Vs.

But I’m weird in that I love Pattern (and Standard) but despise Pattern Vintage (after additional testing, I’ve concluded that I can’t handle this profile).

The SS neck, to me, is like somebody took the Standard/Regular neck and shrunk it to fit a smaller nut and smaller radius. It is more of a thicker than modern Fnder C shape than anything else. I’ve found that if a person can deal with the shoulders on that profile then they typically love the neck. I’m shoulder (and lacquer) sensitive so I definitely understand.

That’s what they say, lol.... but the shoulders are different so the ‘wideness’ of the wide fat is what my hand doesn’t like. There’s a wideness and flatness to the WF that’s not there on the Pattern. At least to me. All of my Pattern necks are basically soft Vs.

But I’m weird in that I love Pattern (and Standard) but despise Pattern Vintage (after additional testing, I’ve concluded that I can’t handle this profile).
OK, cool. I honestly haven't been able to tell the difference between Pattern and WF, but I will also be honest and say that, unless I am specifically thinking about it, I don't really notice the profile of the guitar neck at all until/unless it limits me in some way. Since I have smaller hands (esp for a guy) with short stubby fingers, pretty well all guitar necks are a compromise for me. I have never been able to thumb the E string, for example.

I will say the Pattern Vintage neck on my 594 feels really quite comfortable, and may be the best profile for my hands, even though it is chunkier than some other options.

It might help I play a variety of other stringed instruments, such as mandolin, banjo, and ukulele, where the necks are obviously very, very, different from a guitar.

Back