Silver Sky Intonation Issues

Frank Tranfaglia

I have a 2019 model. For some unknown reason, it will not keep its intonation. I've it setup by a respected and reputable pro. Sounds true for the first few days and then goes out. I've tried different strings, and still that flutter on the 2nd and 3rd strings at around the 12th or 13th fret. Also knocks the tuning out regularly. Anyone else have this issue? I love this guitar, but it's impossible to record with it in this condition.

Thank you in advance.

All I can say is I have ZERO tuning or intonation issues with either of my Silver Skys and both mine are set to float the trem.
I guess I don't understand what you mean by flutter between the 12-13 fret ? I check my intonation between the harmonic and the fretted 12 fret note. If what you are talking about is a anomaly to the fretted note then I would try raising the action just a taste or be sure both the screws are firmly touching the bridge, I have seen some folks ( on fenders ) not notice the saddle screws were floating just a touch. I would also contact PRS Customer service they will set you up. Best of luck

Thank you for the response. What I mean by "flutter" is when you play a note on the G or B strings at fret 12 or 13, it literally flutters almost like I have a slight tremelo effect. Also, playing big open chords is always slightly out and never true, even when in perfect tuning. I checked the saddles and they are pretty firmly sitting in place. Contacting PRS was my next step. Thanks again!

OP, I'm experiencing the same intonation issues. Were you able to resolve yours?

OP,
Does your SS have the floating trem, or blocked trem? It's entirely possible that if it's the floating trem, someone did not perform the transition from fixed trem to floating correctly. Check the PRS PTC YouTube video that describes making your fixed trem a floating one. I'd bet that the original owner did not place a couple paper shims in the neck pocket which is required for setting a proper floating trem...then view the PRS PTC videos that describe intonating a SS...(sometimes if you lean on your own understanding, it doesn't alway work. Best to check with the source of good info...)

Last edited:
Hey Guys. Jumping back on this thread after a long break from my guitars. My trem is fully locked. I've found a new luthier. He's having a look at it this coming week. I'll let you know what we find. Thank you for the feedback!

Update: My guitar tech performed a complete setup, including a full intonation adjustment. He heard the issue throughout. He tried adjusting the pick-ups, dampening the springs, checked the neck alignment, and checked the nut. All good. No change. I contacted PRS directly and they asked me to send a video so they could hear the issue. Sent those off yesterday. I also let them know that I purchased my SS from Guitar Center. They had 3 in stock (white, gray, and black). I took the white version, and my buddy picked up the gray version. His guitar has no issue. Hoping for some answers soon.

Update: My guitar tech performed a complete setup, including a full intonation adjustment. He heard the issue throughout. He tried adjusting the pick-ups, dampening the springs, checked the neck alignment, and checked the nut. All good. No change. I contacted PRS directly and they asked me to send a video so they could hear the issue. Sent those off yesterday. I also let them know that I purchased my SS from Guitar Center. They had 3 in stock (white, gray, and black). I took the white version, and my buddy picked up the gray version. His guitar has no issue. Hoping for some answers soon.
Hi Frank. Did you solve your issue? I have the same problem with 2022 Silver Sky SE after changing strings. Tried 3 different packages but it's still the same. Pickups, bridge, nut, springs - checked.

Back