Silver sky fret job ? Or neck swap

Lheadri2

I’ve had a USA moc sand silver sky for a couple years but really can’t get used to the small frets. I’ve never had a guitar re-fretted. Is it crazy to get a new(ish) guitar re-fretted with medium/jumbo frets? I wish prs would sell necks and parts like fender does. You’d think for bolt-ons they would sell parts. Are there any after market options? Anybody Else in the same boat? Love the pickups and sound but the feel is just weird. Thanks for your help!

It’s not really crazy to get a new-ish guitar refretted (IMO) if you dig everything else about it.

I own a DC3 and wish it sounded like a SS but love the neck, radius, and position of knobs and switch. Modding a SS or replacing the electronics on the DC3 seems like a lateral move, so… I wouldn’t judge you harshly if you wanted to get work on yours done.

I had a Taylor T5 refretted with the wider T5z frets, and it made it into a much better guitar for me. I’ve been called crazy before for saying there’s nothing wrong with refretting a new guitar to a spec you prefer, but I hold to the opinion it’s all about making it your guitar in a way manufacturers just can’t. Do it!

Heck yeah, swap them frets! Just make sure you use a reputable luthier.

With the proprietary nature of PRS guitars, the market for things like replacement necks/bodies is tiny. I bet any custom neck would cost you as much or more than a fret job, plus you'd lose the decal, serial number, birds, and it would be unlawful for the luthier to copy the headstock shape.

given its not a vintage or other guitar with inherent collectible value, if it were me i would sell it and get a guitar with a neck i like

If you bought a sports car and decided to tint the windows, no one would bat an eyelash. Same thing. You like the guitar but want it to be just a tad more comfortable. Go ahead.

Do both the maple board and rosewood board 2022 SS have the bigger frets? Someone just told me only the maple board has the bigger frets...

So I decided to sell the first gen and just get a gen2. Wanted to stick with the moc sand. So I found a satin moc sand with a maple neck (always preferred maple necks on strats) and I love this thing. The medium jumbo frets make all the difference in the world. All said and done I was out about 200 bucks from the swap. Not too bad! Glad I did it

So I decided to sell the first gen and just get a gen2. Wanted to stick with the moc sand. So I found a satin moc sand with a maple neck (always preferred maple necks on strats) and I love this thing. The medium jumbo frets make all the difference in the world. All said and done I was out about 200 bucks from the swap. Not too bad! Glad I did it

Nice! Got what you want for less than the cost of a fret job.

Back