Silver Sky Fret Buzz

Jacob C.

Hey everybody! I got my Silver Sky not too long ago but it seems to have some excessive fret buzz. I've adjusted relief to match specs and have taken the action even a bit higher than factory, but I still have buzz all up and down the neck. This is especially bad on the low E/A strings, where even with light playing buzz can be heard. Any suggestions on what to do?

Did you have fret buzz before the adjustments?

Typically, new guitars might need a slight tweak to the truss rod and nothing more. Fret the low E string at the last fret, and at the first fret, and check the gap between the string and the 8th fret.

Did you have fret buzz before the adjustments?

Typically, new guitars might need a slight tweak to the truss rod and nothing more. Fret the low E string at the last fret, and at the first fret, and check the gap between the string and the 8th fret.

Yeah, I made the adjustments in response to the fret buzz. The relief was pretty flat, with just the tiniest bit of space, and I adjusted it up just at .012 inches.

Are you sure it's fret buzz and not something loose on the guitar, such as the tuner nuts?

How old are the strings? Have they been on there for a while and pretty well used? I say this because it's not uncommon with some of my guitars, specially my PRS, to develop a buzz all along the neck on the top E string that cannot be removed by changing the setup (action and neck relief). The only thing that will stop it is to put a fresh string on. Though I've not had this on the lower strings
Put a fresh set of strings on before you do anything else and see how that helps

How old are the strings? Have they been on there for a while and pretty well used? I say this because it's not uncommon with some of my guitars, specially my PRS, to develop a buzz all along the neck on the top E string that cannot be removed by changing the setup (action and neck relief). The only thing that will stop it is to put a fresh string on. Though I've not had this on the lower strings
Put a fresh set of strings on before you do anything else and see how that helps

I put on a fresh set of strings before making this post, in hopes of fixing the issue, but unfortunately there was no difference.

Can you post a video with the sound and closeups of the setup?

I've owned two silver sky guitars....one came perfect. Didn't touch it. The other came like you say with excessive fret buzz, i got it sorted out with a truss rod adjustment. I did have go over and over the setup to nail it. Plays like a dream now.

Did you ever get this sorted? I’m pretty sure mine needs a fret level.
Did you ever get this worked out? My tech did some light fret leveling in parts but still action is fairly high with low E buzz at times. If yes, what's your relief now, how high at the 12th? Thx.

I've never had any guitar with a reasonable action that did not buzz at least a bit in the lower strings.

You have to be a supremely light picker or like a high action (or some combination of both) to get no buzz.

Do you hear the buzz through the amp?

I've never had any guitar with a reasonable action that did not buzz at least a bit in the lower strings.

You have to be a supremely light picker or like a high action (or some combination of both) to get no buzz.

Do you hear the buzz through the amp?
Yes, the buzzing was audible on the low E and A even with fairly high action and relief. What's interesting is that pretty much all of this audible buzz disappeared after taking the neck off and putting it on again. Perhaps the screws were too loose or too tight on the neckplate? I'm thinking the guitar may have gotten bounced around a bit in transit...it crossed he country...and that shifted the neck ever so slightly. Anyways, all is well now.

Did you ever get this worked out? My tech did some light fret leveling in parts but still action is fairly high with low E buzz at times. If yes, what's your relief now, how high at the 12th? Thx.

I did! I had it on my bench last month messing with the setup and as I was staring at it I noticed that the neck didn’t quite line up properly with the bridge. It was slightly high in the pocket and unless you really stared at the high E string and the rest of the strings over the pickup slugs you’d never really notice.

Reset the neck, lined it up perfectly and tightened it. It’s perfect now.

I did! I had it on my bench last month messing with the setup and as I was staring at it I noticed that the neck didn’t quite line up properly with the bridge. It was slightly high in the pocket and unless you really stared at the high E string and the rest of the strings over the pickup slugs you’d never really notice.

Reset the neck, lined it up perfectly and tightened it. It’s perfect now.
Wow! Same thing for me, though I didn't see misalignment. I took off the neck to see if there were any issues and when I put it back on, the low E and A buzz was mostly gone.

The irony is that I got my replacement SS (after returning one that had cracked birds), and this one has a ton of buzzing all over the neck mostly on the A string, but pretty much on all but the high e, despite no obvious high frets, and despite a pretty high action.

I might try the taking the neck off and retightening method to see if it helps.

The irony is that I got my replacement SS (after returning one that had cracked birds), and this one has a ton of buzzing all over the neck mostly on the A string, but pretty much on all but the high e, despite no obvious high frets, and despite a pretty high action.

I might try the taking the neck off and retightening method to see if it helps.
Someone suggested just loosening the screws and then tightening again, working diagonally. i've had to keep tweaking. My relief now is about .012 and acton on the low E at the 12th, just over 5/64.

Back