Silver Sky Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Jacob C., Apr 5, 2019.

1. Jacob C.

Jacob C. New Member

Hey everybody! I got my Silver Sky not too long ago but it seems to have some excessive fret buzz. I've adjusted relief to match specs and have taken the action even a bit higher than factory, but I still have buzz all up and down the neck. This is especially bad on the low E/A strings, where even with light playing buzz can be heard. Any suggestions on what to do?

2. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Did you have fret buzz before the adjustments?

Typically, new guitars might need a slight tweak to the truss rod and nothing more. Fret the low E string at the last fret, and at the first fret, and check the gap between the string and the 8th fret.

3. Jacob C.

Jacob C. New Member

Yeah, I made the adjustments in response to the fret buzz. The relief was pretty flat, with just the tiniest bit of space, and I adjusted it up just at .012 inches.

4. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Are you sure it's fret buzz and not something loose on the guitar, such as the tuner nuts?

5. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

How old are the strings? Have they been on there for a while and pretty well used? I say this because it's not uncommon with some of my guitars, specially my PRS, to develop a buzz all along the neck on the top E string that cannot be removed by changing the setup (action and neck relief). The only thing that will stop it is to put a fresh string on. Though I've not had this on the lower strings
    Put a fresh set of strings on before you do anything else and see how that helps

6. Jacob C.

Jacob C. New Member

Yeah, I've checked all the fittings and can clearly hear the buzz from the frets.

7. Jacob C.

Jacob C. New Member

I put on a fresh set of strings before making this post, in hopes of fixing the issue, but unfortunately there was no difference.

8. BWV548

BWV548 Custom Title

Can you post a video with the sound and closeups of the setup?

9. GuitarJammin

GuitarJammin New Member

I've owned two silver sky guitars....one came perfect. Didn't touch it. The other came like you say with excessive fret buzz, i got it sorted out with a truss rod adjustment. I did have go over and over the setup to nail it. Plays like a dream now.