Silver Sky Factory Setup

Justin Bamford

I've done some tinkering on my SS and I'm looking to get it back to where it was when it left the factory. Can someone with a SS who hasn't messed with it much help me out with specs? I've tried adjusting to the PRS specs listed on the site but can't seem to get back to how it felt when I received it. Also, does anyone else have their saddle adjustment screws stick up pretty far? Every video I've seen doesn't seem to have them stick out as much as mine does. Thank you!

Current Specs:
Relief- Somewhere between .005 and .008 @ 8th. I'm not great at measuring this with feeler gauges
Action- just over 4/64 on low E, right at 4/64 high e
Pickups- exactly what is listed on PRS page for single coils, maybe bass side a little lower.

A guitarist that hasn't dialed in their gear to taste? Good luck! I last maybe the first night before tweaking on this or that. I'd also throw out there's no guarantee your guitar was at spec on arrival.

I learned as you are to take atleast a mental note of what I changed and how much one way or another. A little goes a long way. I'm amazed sometimes how a quarter or half turn can make all the difference in the world.

The saddle screws can be shortened or swapped out. Get the rest dialed in and then check them out again. Youtube us your friend and if all else fails take it to a luthier, not Guitar Center.

I darn near refused to buy a SS when I saw that they were equipped with bent steel saddles and those damnable grub screws that stick up out of them. Well, I suckered anyway when I got a line on a Nebula and bought one in spite of the saddles.

Turns out in the factory setup, the screws didn't stick out at all. So there's a tip.

"Turns out in the factory setup, the screws didn't stick out at all. So there's a tip"

Then there is definitely something wrong with mine :( I would have to raise the action crazy high to get the screws to stop poking out. Any idea what the issue could be? Neck is flat and the saddle height is close to PRS specs. I haven't messed with the tremolo system or changed string gauges either.

I just purchased one in the last couple weeks and haven’t messed with it. It might take me a couple days, but I’ll get you the specs. My disclaimer is, it’s a ‘19 and was on the wall at the shop for a while, but I don’t think any great amount of tinkering was done to it.

I just purchased one in the last couple weeks and haven’t messed with it. It might take me a couple days, but I’ll get you the specs. My disclaimer is, it’s a ‘19 and was on the wall at the shop for a while, but I don’t think any great amount of tinkering was done to it.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate your help :)

Ok, so I raised all strings to 5/64" @ the 12 fret and the screws aren't sticking out nearly as much. Sounds much better and no buzzing with a moderately heavy attack. Isn't this somewhat high for PRS standards or does this sound normal for the SS?

I also found the invoice and the tech from the store wrote the following measurements. I believe he tweaked it from factory specs though.

It read:
.005" relief
5/64" Bass & Treble

How high the grub screws are is not an indication of good setup. Tiny variations in the bolt on design in the neck pocket, bridge, etc mean two guitars could be set up with the same action and have a the saddles at different heights and intonation points. It's the nature of the bolt on beast.

@Justin Bamford , sorry for the delay (infant and toddler keep me busy) but I took some measurements on my SS, this is what I got - pretty close to where you are.

Low E is 5/64 @ 12th fret, 3/32 @ 22nd
High e is 2/32 @ 12th fret, 5/64 @ 22nd

Neck set for barely perceptible relief.

They may have used different length screws at different times as well.
If you don’t like them sticking out you can go to your local hardware store and get some shorter ones.

Bob

Thanks all! I guess the moral of the story is- don't worry about screw length as it pertains to an adequate setup...I'll probably just swap them out if they continue to bother me

Careful use of a file will smooth the screws off , been done for years on lots of Strats :)

Back