Silver Sky defect? :(

I've had mine for a couple years now. Can't say I've ever looked at that joint. Part of me wants to go down and look at it, but it'd be more out of curiosity than anything. The guitar's not going anywhere, so no point in it, to me. But ultimately, none of what any of us say matters if it bugs the OP. Some of the old timers here may remember a certain member's quest for a particular color PS. Some gorgeous guitars were turned out, none of which satisfied him. It doesn't matter how many of us would accept it if it bugs the owner.

I agree with @alantig on the look. If it bothers you, it’s an issue even if it isn’t a “defect.” If you can’t return it, I’d say you should follow some of the earlier suggestions to carefully tape it off and straighten the line with a matching color. You may find that, now that you know it’s not a defect, it may bother you less and turn out to be unworthy of too much attention!

I've had mine for a couple years now. Can't say I've ever looked at that joint. Part of me wants to go down and look at it, but it'd be more out of curiosity than anything. The guitar's not going anywhere, so no point in it, to me. But ultimately, none of what any of us say matters if it bugs the OP. Some of the old timers here may remember a certain member's quest for a particular color PS. Some gorgeous guitars were turned out, none of which satisfied him. It doesn't matter how many of us would accept it if it bugs the owner.
Tag knows pomegranate!:p:D

Sorry you are unhappy , Here are my 2 a 2018 and a 2019
I think if you want a neater edge it would be an easy fix I think , mask to a straight line the scrape gently remove tape then polish , you might even be able to polish it out looks like a bit of extra stain prob over the clear coat.
I had also never looked that close and I did look close as I made truss rod covers.

IMG_7241 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m8FeHB]IMG_7240
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/[/url]

Um, don’t come near my guitars, lol. I’m the guy that buys the blemished and demo stuff to save a few hundred bucks when I can. I can see what you’re talking about in the pic but it never would have even crossed my mind to ring up PRS about it. I wouldn’t have considered it an issue or defect. If it really bugs you though, maybe your dealer will swap it out. I wouldn’t be surprised if they said no though.

Um, don’t come near my guitars, lol. I’m the guy that buys the blemished and demo stuff to save a few hundred bucks when I can. I can see what you’re talking about in the pic but it never would have even crossed my mind to ring up PRS about it. I wouldn’t have considered it an issue or defect. If it really bugs you though, maybe your dealer will swap it out. I wouldn’t be surprised if they said no though.

I'm that guy too.. "defects" equal wallet relief

OP There's nothing wrong with your guitar man. Play and enjoy!

Thank you everyone for the response, defect is definitely a stretch of word I used. I think the main reason that put me off was the extra price I had pay for the SS. I had to pay $600USD (shipping + tax) on top of the retail price as I am overseas. But, still cheaper than the local dealers in my country.

On the bright side, I really enjoy the SS. The pickups are amazing and the SS looks gorgeous.

One thing I found was that I do prefer the original SS neck with the shoulders. I played a 2019 SS which I found the fat round neck very comfortable especially when rolling over my thumb. Mine is the 2021 SS with the neck updated to have the "shoulders: gone.

Sorry you are unhappy , Here are my 2 a 2018 and a 2019
I think if you want a neater edge it would be an easy fix I think , mask to a straight line the scrape gently remove tape then polish , you might even be able to polish it out looks like a bit of extra stain prob over the clear coat.
I had also never looked that close and I did look close as I made truss rod covers.

IMG_7241 by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
IMG_7240 by

Where did you get your truss rod cover? I am interested but couldn't find anywhere online

Where did you get your truss rod cover? I am interested but couldn't find anywhere online
I made them , pain in the behind to get right ;) the screw hole in the thin maple is the hardest part. Sheet maple from a hobby shop cut and sand to fit , clear nail polish to finish as anything that I sprayed made the veneer separate. pretty sure I posted the job here someplace.

I personally wouldn’t have a problem with your guitar. But then I can be really anal on some things . It drives me nuts sometimes…….

I made them , pain in the behind to get right ;) the screw hole in the thin maple is the hardest part. Sheet maple from a hobby shop cut and sand to fit , clear nail polish to finish as anything that I sprayed made the veneer separate. pretty sure I posted the job here someplace.

You did a great job on those. Did you get lucky and found a piece of maple whose color matched from the get go, or had to try a few ?

Someone asked me a while ago before I got my mini CNC whether I could make some.
I turned the request down as it would have taken way too much time for a one off, and I also no longer had a SS to test the fit either.
With a CNC though that would now be trivial to get the shape spot on.

You did a great job on those. Did you get lucky and found a piece of maple whose color matched from the get go, or had to try a few ?

Someone asked me a while ago before I got my mini CNC whether I could make some.
I turned the request down as it would have taken way too much time for a one off, and I also no longer had a SS to test the fit either.
With a CNC though that would now be trivial to get the shape spot on.

I go a piece that was about 1 ft square and looked for the spots that had the best match , I had to find the pieces with the reddest hue overall. The other issue was the TRC area was slightly different from guitar to guitar so there was a bit of custom fitting to each one. I bet on a mill it would be much better or easier, I did these with an exacto knife and sand paper.

Back