Silver Sky: Buy 2019 now or wait for 2021?

James L

Hello everyone!

I am a long time strat player, but new to the Silver Sky world. I have recently played three 2021 Silver Sky guitars that made me decide I need one (or maybe two). These are difficult times to find product, of course, but I have a line on a 2019 that is in new condition.

Having only played the 2021 models, however, I am unaware of any changes between the 2019 that I can buy right now and the 2021 models that I have played. Would I notice any significant or substantial differences? If it helps, I am looking specifically at rosewood models.

Thank you, in advance, for any advice that you can provide.

Cheers,

James

I have both a 2019 and a 2021. In 2020 they changed to a nitro finish on the body, and 2021 they increased fret size a touch. The pickups sound like they have a little less output, but it’s negligible at best.

They both play excellent, can’t go wrong with either!

I don't know if this is just the maple or rosewood version, but it's been confirmed larger frets and lower output pickups for the silver skys exiting the factory now.

I’ve heard of the larger frets, but hadn’t seen anything from PRS to that effect so I was curious what the hive mind would say.

I have both a 2019 and a 2021. In 2020 they changed to a nitro finish on the body, and 2021 they increased fret size a touch. The pickups sound like they have a little less output, but it’s negligible at best.

They both play excellent, can’t go wrong with either!

I loved the frets / board / playability on the 2021 models I tried. Would you say the difference between 2021 and the 2019 models is significant (referring specifically to the feel of the neck), or negligible?

I loved the frets / board / playability on the 2021 models I tried. Would you say the difference between 2021 and the 2019 models is significant (referring specifically to the feel of the neck), or negligible?

For rosewood only, they did also round the shoulders slightly in 2020, but my 21 is a maple board so I can’t comment on neck feel. As for the frets, they’re a small but noticeable change - you could definitely tell them apart blindfolded, but they play very much the same. If anything I’d say the 2021 frets are a touch more forgiving while the 2019 rewards good technique a little more.

Personally I prefer my 2019 by the slightest margin but you should try one out for yourself.

I cannot, sadly. To make my journey even harder I specifically want a Dodgem Blue rosewood model... which seems to be a very hard one to find.

Quick peek shows a few on reverb and one is in stock at sam ash. Good luck!!!

I have a 2019 that I love. Love everything about it. Neck, frets, pickups. I haven’t played a newer one but I can’t imagine it being much better, if at all better. Maybe just slightly different.

Quick peek shows a few on reverb and one is in stock at sam ash. Good luck!!!

I am in Vancouver, BC, and most of the Reverb ones are US shipping only sadly. I will definitely check out Sam Ash though. Thanks!

I have a 2019 that I love. Love everything about it. Neck, frets, pickups. I haven’t played a newer one but I can’t imagine it being much better, if at all better. Maybe just slightly different.

I really appreciate this post. Thanks!

I just got my Silver Sky rosewood in midnight rose. I have tried the 2019 SS in rosewood. I really liked the original neck shape compared to the updated neck shape. The 2019 one felt more comfortable to grip my thumb over due to the "shoulders" whereas the 2021 rosewood SS one has slimmer profile (similar to my old Fender american standard). I find the removal of the "shoulders" on 2021 SS makes the over the thumb less comfortable for me. I'm wondering if anyone else have the same experience.

I’d say to get the one you think you want, assuming you can’t return the 2019 if it doesn’t float your boat.

When you know what you want, “making do” with what you can find places that 2019 at a comparative disadvantage from the start. Because of that, I suggest you find a place you can play an 18 or 19 before you give up the search for the 2021 you selected up front. Time is on your side.

Mine is a 2018. I like it, and haven’t felt a need to check out anything newer. But that’s me. They got it right the first year, in my opinion. But your opinion is going to be the only one that matters, so you may as well make it an informed one before parting with your money.

I wish all the silver sky’s had the buttery smooth neck like the maple fretboard version. One of the best natural looking satin necks I ever felt.

Welcome to (future) Vancouver Silver Sky owners club! :)
I haven't tried a 2021 model, but my 2018 is everything I wanted!

Many thanks! I've recently sold a ton of high end gear here in town with no problems but man... buying in the COVID world is a whole other thing.

I just got my Silver Sky rosewood in midnight rose. I have tried the 2019 SS in rosewood. I really liked the original neck shape compared to the updated neck shape. The 2019 one felt more comfortable to grip my thumb over due to the "shoulders" whereas the 2021 rosewood SS one has slimmer profile (similar to my old Fender american standard). I find the removal of the "shoulders" on 2021 SS makes the over the thumb less comfortable for me. I'm wondering if anyone else have the same experience.

My favourite neck profile is the C shape on the Fender American Original lineup. I do try to play a lot of neck over, though my hands are on the smaller side.

I’d say to get the one you think you want, assuming you can’t return the 2019 if it doesn’t float your boat.

When you know what you want, “making do” with what you can find places that 2019 at a comparative disadvantage from the start. Because of that, I suggest you find a place you can play an 18 or 19 before you give up the search for the 2021 you selected up front. Time is on your side.

Mine is a 2018. I like it, and haven’t felt a need to check out anything newer. But that’s me. They got it right the first year, in my opinion. But your opinion is going to be the only one that matters, so you may as well make it an informed one before parting with your money.

Great advice.

I wish all the silver sky’s had the buttery smooth neck like the maple fretboard version. One of the best natural looking satin necks I ever felt.

Two of the ones I played were Maple necks. They felt great... I guess I am just a rosewood kind of guy.

Back