Silver Sky Bridge Pickup

Unclejbones

Hey Guys - The Bridge Pickup on my 2 month old SS has stopped working! No sound at all when in 5th position on the selector.

I have already sent my email to customer service, and am awaiting a response.

I am just curious if I’ll have to ship it all the way back to Maryland, or if they contract out local work? I am in California, and I am not looking forward to shipping my baby in it’s soft case, especially this time of year.

Have a great weekend, and thank you advance for your time!

UJB

It is likely a bad switch or loose solder joint, the dealer you got it from should be able to handle it or just take a look yourself

Thank you for the response! I did contact the seller, Ray Mullins Music and they told to me contact PRS. I am currently awaiting a response from PRS. I was just looking to get more info before they reach out to me.

It is likely a bad switch or loose solder joint, the dealer you got it from should be able to handle it or just take a look yourself
So I removed the strings, and flipped over the pick guard, tested the ohms of the Pickups, the neck and the middle pickup were around 5.5-5.7. The bridge was dead. Do you know if the tech center will send out a new pickup and I can replace it, or will they want it back?

Edited to add: I also checked continuity via tone from the pickup to the volume pot, it was good, and checked the ground to the output jack, it too was good.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited:
So I removed the strings, and flipped over the pick guard, tested the ohms of the Pickups, the neck and the middle pickup were around 5.5-5.7. The bridge was dead. Do you know if the tech center will send out a new pickup and I can replace it, or will they want it back?

Edited to add: I also checked continuity via tone from the pickup to the volume pot, it was good, and checked the ground to the output jack, it too was good..

Thanks again for your time.
You've done all the right things at this point. PRS Customer Service should take over from here. You'll likely have to ship it back, which is a pain, but that's the way warranty works. It would be great if they had authorized repair centers/dealers in most major cities, but unfortunately they don't And if you do have to ship it back, whatever you do, don't ship anything in the bag (and then in the box) that could damage the guitar - keep all wrenches, tremolo bar, case candy with you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.:)

You've done all the right things at this point. PRS Customer Service should take over from here. You'll likely have to ship it back, which is a pain, but that's the way warranty works. It would be great if they had authorized repair centers/dealers in most major cities, but unfortunately they don't And if you do have to ship it back, whatever you do, don't ship anything in the bag (and then in the box) that could damage the guitar - keep all wrenches, tremolo bar, case candy with you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.:)

Thanks Dirty!

Well ****, it seems like I spoke issues into existence. Got the shipping label from PRS, took it to the FedEx store, tracking # shows it has been picked up from the store but never arrived at the local sort. When I call FedEx they suggest opening a claim since it has not been scanned in 5+ days. Does anyone know how PRS handles situations like this? Do they handle situations like this?

Well ****, it seems like I spoke issues into existence. Got the shipping label from PRS, took it to the FedEx store, tracking # shows it has been picked up from the store but never arrived at the local sort. When I call FedEx they suggest opening a claim since it has not been scanned in 5+ days. Does anyone know how PRS handles situations like this? Do they handle situations like this?
My heart sinks when I hear this… my greatest fear when I shipped my guitar to PRS. I made sure to check with PRS Customer service that it had been received into their system.

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with PRS at this point, as you are the shipper - it’s between you and the carrier (FedEx). Hoping you insured it for the full value, and hope it reappears soon.

My heart sinks when I hear this… my greatest fear when I shipped my guitar to PRS. I made sure to check with PRS Customer service that it had been received into their system.

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with PRS at this point, as you are the shipper - it’s between you and the carrier (FedEx). Hoping you insured it for the full value, and hope it reappears soon.
Even though PRS paid for the shipping?

I doubt it, but check with them.
Honestly, this would be a massive customer service hole. The only reason I sent it back was because of a warranty issue. Then under their direction, I used their label, and their shipper.

I would totally understand if I was shipping it back for a setup, or a repair of my own issue. To say I am frustrated would be a massive understatement.

Honestly, this would be a massive customer service hole. The only reason I sent it back was because of a warranty issue. Then under their direction, I used their label, and their shipper.

I would totally understand if I was shipping it back for a setup, or a repair of my own issue. To say I am frustrated would be a massive understatement.
Don’t freak out yet… simply contact them. I’m just some guy on a forum, so don’t take what I say as fact.

Don’t freak out yet… simply contact them. I’m just some guy on a forum, so don’t take what I say as fact.
Updating this saga of insanity.

So without any shipping updates, lol, the guitar arrived in Maryland and was delivered to PRS. According to FedEx it left the FedEx store and then arrived in Maryland with no stops in between…*There was much rejoicing”

So they get it and the service guy says it was the selector switch which is odd to me since the bridge pickup was showing 0 resistance when I was reading it from a voltmeter. While, as I said before all the other pickups were reading in the 5+ range. But he said they tested it and it’s great. So what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?!?! So I pay for overnight shipping back to me, because I am not interested in dealing with FedEx ground anymore.

I get the guitar back, open it up, hook it up to my amp…. and the bridge pickup still doesn’t work…….. nada…. nothing…. zilch…. I am waiting to hear back from the rep… I am honestly amazed at how simple of a fix this should be and how terrible this experience has been.

Here’s a video.

I'll take a stab at this. It is either the switch position or a broken wire from the pickup. I am going with broken wire. Dont know how good your electronic chops are, so you have to decide. Put your meter black lead to ground. With meter in low ohms scale, touch one of the connection points on the pickup.
Now slowly move that wire. If its the ground side, it should show zero and not change with movement. If its the hot side, you should get a reading.
Work carefully, small moves only. If you lose a reading with movement you found your fault. Bad news, back to PRS for repair.

I'll take a stab at this. It is either the switch position or a broken wire from the pickup. I am going with broken wire. Dont know how good your electronic chops are, so you have to decide. Put your meter black lead to ground. With meter in low ohms scale, touch one of the connection points on the pickup.
Now slowly move that wire. If its the ground side, it should show zero and not change with movement. If its the hot side, you should get a reading.
Work carefully, small moves only. If you lose a reading with movement you found your fault. Bad news, back to PRS for repair.
Yep, its already back to PRS, the gave me 2 day shipping for the return.

I am pretty sure it’s not a wire, I can get continuity through all connections all the way through the output jack, in all switch. positions. I am pretty sure its a bad pickup. I just hope they figure it out this time and don’t send it back prematurely, again.

Back