Silver Sky Body Seam Issue

Faded

Hello,
I recently purchased a Silver Sky in Tungsten and one of the body seams is quite apparent in the light and can be felt with a finger. See the photo below, the pick is pointing out the seam and you can see how the window frame reflection is bisected by it.

Is this going to be a structural issue over time? Does anyone else have this on their guitar?

ot9a3cU.jpg

As far as structural it would be NO issue.
It looks like the finish following the seam possibly because the new ones are all Nitro and even a thinner finish.
If it bothers you contact your dealer and exchange it.
Nice Photo and guitar !!!

As far as structural it would be NO issue.
It looks like the finish following the seam possibly because the new ones are all Nitro and even a thinner finish.
If it bothers you contact your dealer and exchange it.
Nice Photo and guitar !!!

Thanks! It’s a 2019 with what I assume is poly finish left over from my local dealer. I love the guitar despite some of the finish quirks. Just concerned about structural integrity.

I wonder how many pieces of alder goes into a JM. I guess since the finish is opaque we will never know. From what I’ve read it seems multiple pieces are pretty standard on alders

FWIW, these seams that become visible through the layer(s) of finish are nothing particularly new. My Fender from the 90's does it (no more visibly than yours) and it's just what happens when a wood-finish encounters wood, then a glue joint, then wood again. (The only real way to avoid it is by using 1-piece bodies.) But I don't care myself; and thankfully, most people sort of accept it for what it is. I've never seen it affect a guitar's value unless its especially drastically disfigured.

Back