Silent amp

Which is why I said, all that it misses is a footswitch. I have just watched an old review of the Crunchbox, and it does have a nice Marshally sound. I could do with wee spell of resurrection.
However, the modern voice on the hot setting is quite good on both amp voicing. I used to have a wee preference for the AC like voice. It was a bit fatter than the Brit. The US voice was quite good for better definition. I hopefully I'll get to experience those again soon.

I also liked the "AC" voice in hot mode most. And even in the cleaner mode just starting to crunch up. That spot was heaven with P90's. The speaker I was using just favored that tone. The US clean tones were ok with it, but I don't think it did any favors for the Marshall sound.

If you're even the least little bit apprehensive about working inside of a tube amp then DONT. There are lethal voltages inside of them. Even the little ones. Leave it to a professional and keep yourself around to rock out for a good long time.

Hope you get the amp sorted the Tweaker is a great amp they REALLY sound cool thru a 4x12 ;) when you make it work a bit .
Also I popped a power tube in mine ( plugged it in hot it went POP and then no sound ) I put a set of EL-34s in it set it to Marshall it was sweet ( Vox also sounded killer )

Hope you get the amp sorted the Tweaker is a great amp they REALLY sound cool thru a 4x12 ;) when you make it work a bit .
Also I popped a power tube in mine ( plugged it in hot it went POP and then no sound ) I put a set of EL-34s in it set it to Marshall it was sweet ( Vox also sounded killer )

That's interesting. So you can replace the 6v6 with EL-34. How would you describe the difference between the 2 sets of tubes. What happen to the American voice? Is it still sounding good as well?

Thats the fun of the Tweaker is you can change almost anything , I tried 6v6s ( to in your face for me ) 6L6 nice but similar to 6v6 , EL-34 less presence but more depth a bit more vintage if that makes sence
For me the British and the Vox were the best for me ;)

Bruce Egnater has said and will say again it can take 6v6, 6L6, EL34, EL84 with Adapters, KT66, KT77, 6550 etc really any octal based tube.

Thats the fun of the Tweaker is you can change almost anything , I tried 6v6s ( to in your face for me ) 6L6 nice but similar to 6v6 , EL-34 less presence but more depth a bit more vintage if that makes sence

Bruce Egnater has said and will say again it can take 6v6, 6L6, EL34, EL84 with Adapters, KT66, KT77, 6550 etc really any octal based tube.

More vintage would be nice. If I can get the damn thing to make a sound again I will consider swapping the valves.
Anyone tried other permutations?

I was wondering, if you change the tube types, do you need to make some adjustment in the amp settings (I don't understand amp innards as well as guitars but potentially something to do with BIAS)?

Here it is! Back from the workshop last night. Didn't get a chance to play it yet. Just fiddling with the control last night to get the best response when I get a chance. I also have a Jettenuator on the way to play with headphone or child's hear friendly level while still getting the best sound out of it. I cannae wait :D

Finally plugged into the beast for a few minutes tonight. I set it up for maximum responsiveness and... God, the thing was still way loud even at low level on the Jettenuator and the amount of static produced was unbelievable!!! So the master was 2/3 of the way up... I never had it this high up before. Bringing it back down to 1/2 and the parasite noise was gone, which was impressive, and the sound was pretty nice with the Epi LP plugged in.

The whole system was very responsive to the volume control, from clean to crunchy. Now i need to work out how to channel the output from the Jettenuator to my headphones and I can play the Tweaker every evening, which would be braw :D

PS: I still haven't taken a pic, have I???

Long awaited photo ;)

I finally plugged the SE C24 in the Tweaker... and that was amazing. You may have seen on other thread that I thought the bridge pup was a bit thin... well, not plugged in the Tweaker in Hot AC mode. It sounded just thick enough. When I receive the headphone amp I just orderer I will finally be able to play the Tweaker silently and will have plenty of time to tweak my tone... I cannae wait :p

Long awaited photo ;)

I finally plugged the SE C24 in the Tweaker... and that was amazing. You may have seen on other thread that I thought the bridge pup was a bit thin... well, not plugged in the Tweaker in Hot AC mode. It sounded just thick enough. When I receive the headphone amp I just orderer I will finally be able to play the Tweaker silently and will have plenty of time to tweak my tone... I cannae wait :p

I posted a little thing on trying different strings before considering pickup changes; it might help out on your bridge pickup (in addition to the amp).

BTW, Bruce Egnater is a homie, from my town (Detroit), and he’s a very nice guy.

I posted a little thing on trying different strings before considering pickup changes; it might help out on your bridge pickup (in addition to the amp).

BTW, Bruce Egnater is a homie, from my town (Detroit), and he’s a very nice guy.

Good to know - about Bruce Egnater.

Yes I have seen your thread and it is indeed full of wisdom. I don't intend to swap these pups at the moment anyway because the middle position and the neck pickup just sound brilliant, so I don't really feel like screwing this up. It looks like I won't have anything to do with it, but the first thing I had in mind was simply raising it. Will see how it goes.

Back