Signing a backplate

fgeorge097

I have a core P245 Semi Hollow with a black backplate.

I want to get somebody to sign my backplate. What kind of marker or writing utensil should I give them to sign it with? A gray sharpie?

I want it to last, obviously.

Some clear coats may cause the signature to run. Best option would probably be to buy another backplate.

On my guitar with a signed backplate the signature has not yet rubbed off, but it does not get that much playtime and I mostly play that guitar seated. I do always play without a belt buckle to reduce any chance of it damaging the signature.

In agreement with @grausch. To protect the signature I would suggest keeping the plate between something like the acid free paper used to sandwich photographs stored in a safe place and fix a plain replacement plate onto the guitar. A little extreme maybe. Depends on the value you place on the signature.

Some clear coats may cause the signature to run.

I recently did two backplates that Paul signed. I sprayed them with SEM clear coat that I had bought to customize a car stereo bezel, so it was designed with plastics in mind. The signature was in silver sharpie. No problem with the signature running. If you spray several light coats of good clear with the cover laid flat, you should be OK.
Of course, if you try this and it does run, it's not my fault............

I recently did two backplates that Paul signed. I sprayed them with SEM clear coat that I had bought to customize a car stereo bezel, so it was designed with plastics in mind. The signature was in silver sharpie. No problem with the signature running. If you spray several light coats of good clear with the cover laid flat, you should be OK.
Of course, if you try this and it does run, it's not my fault............

This! I used clear coat from a model store. Gold sharpie and 8 coats of clear.

Paul signed several of my back plates. I did not clear coat any of them and they all rubbed off, but the cool thing about is that the signatures are permanently "etched' into the plastic due to the acetone that is in a paint pen. So if you look at it in the right light, the signatures are nicely and perfectly preserved that only you can see!

I used a poly clear spray on mine that Paul signed with a silver sharpie and it worked just fine, no run.

I used a clear coat spray but it's kinda dull looking and almost bubbly...

I did 4 coats - could I do more and then polish/lightly sand?

I would not dream of asking OP who it is he wishes to sign his rear cover plate because it is not any of my business. Doesn't stop me wondering though.

Though not the OP, I had David Grissom sign one back plate on my 2010 DGT and Paul Smith signed the plate on my 2008 DGT.

Flogging Molly guys signed the tremolo cover on my 2008.

I'm headed to a concert next weekend and will likely do a meet-n-greet with the band. I'm contemplating having them sign the backplate of my PRS studio (they are PRS sponsored musicians!).

This thread is a few years old, but I'm wondering if the advice above still applies. Any new products that would work better?

I would not dream of asking OP who it is he wishes to sign his rear cover plate because it is not any of my business. Doesn't stop me wondering though.
I don't feel near the same reticence to ask. I think it is important to know who is the signer before appropriate advice can be given.

Kevin

If only I could be so bold. And you raise an interesting view. I fear we will never know who the artist was.

Sorry. Should have read the whole thread. Didn't realize this was from January.....

Kevin

I'm headed to a concert next weekend and will likely do a meet-n-greet with the band. I'm contemplating having them sign the backplate of my PRS studio (they are PRS sponsored musicians!).

This thread is a few years old, but I'm wondering if the advice above still applies. Any new products that would work better?

Silver or gold Sharpie. Once you get it home, grab a can of clearcoat and spray 1/2 dozen light coats on it to preserve the signature. I used Testors. I figured that stuff was made for model plastic, so backplate covers would be right up the alley.

Back