Shutterbug Central

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
It hasn't been active in a while but The Photo Booth created so forum photographers could show off their best shots. As I sit here scouring the net for information on a new DSLR, it occurred to me that many of you may know a lot about this freakishly expensive hobby.

So here a thread dedicated to cameras, lenses, and accoutrements.

To kick things off, I'm curious what you use (besides your cell phone) when you want to get that perfect shot. What's in your bag? Prime lenses only? Have a favorite zoom lens? Full-frame of crop-sensor?

Show your camera!

The cell phone is pretty convenient.

My Nikon P600 is decent to carry around when I want to control things better without carrying a camera bag around. I've had it for a while now and haven't felt the need to upgrade it. I carry it on my bike, at trade shows and such.

From there I go to a Canon 5D. It was the first DSLR that gave resolution comparable to 35mm that was at a price I was comfortable with. I use the same lenses I had with my 35mm Canon: a fast 50mm, a 35-135 zoom and a 75-300 zoom. These all fit in a sling bag. I got a 500mm reflective lens that was pretty dissatisfying (but cheap and compact so I didn't mind the experiment). I then got a more traditional 400mm that I use at special events. Occasionally I add a 2x multiplier. I've had this camera since they came out and it serves my needs well enough that I'm not likely to change. Might get a couple more fixed length lens though.

I have to say, I jealous of that 5D and 50mm. That's the set-up I'm eyeballing (with a zoom lens for the bag).

Canon_5D_zpsly49g2ig.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say, I jealous of that 5D and 50mm. That's the set-up I'm eyeballing (with a zoom lens for the bag).
I probably take 2/3 of my photos with the 50mm.
The short zoom is so I can frame candid shots of people with a bit of stealth - I rarely take posed for photos.
The long zoom is mostly for wildlife.

All of them. :)

This will be a travel camera so it will cover the full spectrum (portraits, landscapes, and wildlife). Right now I'm learning toward a 50mm prime and a 70-200mm zoom since the 140mm on my current camera isn't quite enough.

Consider adding a 100mm prime for portraits and guitar glamor shots. It doesn't have to be especially fast, you want wider apertures for shortened depth of field anyway.

The 100 lets you stand off a bit from your subject and avoid fisheyeing their features (think big nose, tiny ears), making people look way more natural than portraits made with a shorter focal lengths.

It also needs to be a prime to eliminate the aberrations (lack of edge detail) and aperture reciprocity problems introduced by zooms.

For your zoom, buy the fastest zoom you can't quite afford.

I bought a Canon Rebel T5i a few years ago, very happy with it.
Have used it for guitar shots, nature shots while camping, and documenting mods I have done to my FJ Cruiser.

I've wanted a DSLR for a good while. I just can't commit. Last thing I need is to get lens GAS. o_O

I use two Pentax K3's(24mp)and plan on getting the new K1(36mp). The lens can/will make or break a shot.

Don't do what I did and purchase the same three lenses, three times chasing legend(long story). Each system came in at $7, $8 and $10k respectively.

Lighting is EVERYTHING!

That's why I'm dropping all the money on new glass. L-series Canon all the way.

By the way, I responded to your PM about the bridge but never heard back from you.

You boys gunna show your cameras or what?
I bought this nice Tamrac pack a bit later, works great for hiking while carrying the camera and the tripod
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00148QQLY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the camera, came with an 18-55 lens.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW6LWO4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then got the 18-135 lens a few days later, great lens.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UGMLWQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had some pics of the camera with the lens fully extended on my server, but I cannot remember which folder I put it in.

Very happy with the camera though.

Consider adding a 100mm prime for portraits and guitar glamor shots. It doesn't have to be especially fast, you want wider apertures for shortened depth of field anyway.

The 100 lets you stand off a bit from your subject and avoid fisheyeing their features (think big nose, tiny ears), making people look way more natural than portraits made with a shorter focal lengths.

I also prefer a little zoom for portraits but fear 100mm is a bit too much for my taste. I was thinking more along the lines of this Canon 85mm F/1.2L.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...Search=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=&Top+Nav-Search=

new-canon-85mm-l-series-lens-rumored-for-photokina-2016.png

Hey Corey, I would totally get the T6 or 80D but have resolved to go full-frame. I have heard nothing but good things about the T5 you have.

I switched to a 100 prime when I got serious about the nudes with guitar series. I'll never use a zoom of any kind for portraits or still life, guitars, etc. again.

It takes longer to frame your shot because you have to advance/retreat to get what you want, but the difference is well worth it.

Standing off a bit also reduces haloing of lights on prominent features like noses, cheek bones, those other cheeks and ,erm, "pillows".

I misspoke. I didn't mean zoom in the context of a zoom lens. I meant the difference between a 100mm prime and an 85mm prime. Focal length.

Like all things, pro-photography has its own nomenclature and I'm still not quite up to speed.

Last edited:
Back