Show Your Tone Monsters

NPmTf1t.jpg

This tone monster actually has a monster on the top!!!

You’ve all seen her before...but you never seem to complain when I repost.

(I’m still convinced that a non-adjustable graphite or carbon truss rod that reinforces the neck without compression enhances tone and sustain.)

Braz Neck, Graphite Rod, Coco everything else.
Win-Win-Win

OY64Z9F.jpg

4lZxME1.jpg

IM9hDac.jpg

OUo2meW.jpg

ZST8LAf.jpg

TPYBuLB.jpg

(I’m still convinced that a non-adjustable graphite or carbon truss rod that reinforces the neck without compression enhances tone and sustain.)

Win-Win-Win

OY64Z9F.jpg

4lZxME1.jpg

IM9hDac.jpg

OUo2meW.jpg

ZST8LAf.jpg

TPYBuLB.jpg
Why does this make me want to play ping pong?

I have one of the carbon truss rods. They are brilliant.

You're not alone. Having a large chunk of several metal pieces resonating inside the neck definitely affects the tone, most likely in a variety of ways. I'm also convinced that the fundamental tone is different with the carbon fiber rod instead of metal. It seems more 'woody' (I can't think of a different word that works for what I'm trying to describe).

I've had graphite non-adjustable truss rods on two PRS acoustics. My current one is the maple PS guitar, and I ordered it specifically with the carbon fiber rod. The guitar is a veritable cannon, certainly one of the most incredible steel string acoustics I've owned or played (and there have been some nice ones here, as well as in the hands of session players who've come by over the years).

This isn't to knock the other guitars I have with metal adjustable rods. They're simply different.

You're not alone. Having a large chunk of several metal pieces resonating inside the neck definitely affects the tone, most likely in a variety of ways. I'm also convinced that the fundamental tone is different with the carbon fiber rod instead of metal. It seems more 'woody' (I can't think of a different word that works for what I'm trying to describe).

I've had graphite non-adjustable truss rods on two PRS acoustics. My current one is the maple PS guitar, and I ordered it specifically with the carbon fiber rod. The guitar is a veritable cannon, certainly one of the most incredible steel string acoustics I've owned or played (and there have been some nice ones here, as well as in the hands of session players who've come by over the years).

This isn't to knock the other guitars I have with metal adjustable rods. They're simply different.
My EVH Wolfgang has twin graphite rods. Certainly seems to make the harmonics ring out. Still has a traditional metal truss rod for adjustment though so who knows what it would sound like without it

In my guitar lifetime, I've had 6 or 7 major tone events.

The first was late 80s. Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Mesa Boogie Mark III. Game changing and it carried me through most of a decade.

Second was the Millennium Dragon. Most of you probably know the guitar, and a few of you know how one of them came to be mine. That big chunk of Brazilian rosewood made me weak in the knees. I'm the only owner, and it was so special that I vowed only to play original music on it. I felt that it deserved it, and still do. I've mentioned before that I didn't even look at other guitars for a decade after getting this, because what was the point.
CK_BrazBraz.JPG

Next was Paul's Dirty 100. After having been fully seduced by Brazilian rosewood, it was eye (ear?) opening to play this package. The dirty top is amazing, and I trust that Paul really did choose it for its tonal properties. Peruvian Mahogany neck with a Dalbergia board is a treat - to much so that I got a spare, granted with a glossy top. One of my acoustics also goes the Peruvian route.
CK_151Dirty100Body.JPG

CK_PeruRose.JPG

Next was my Laskin: old growth Brazilian with a cedar top (classical) or spruce (steel) shaped by a master is bloody magic. Notes just don't ring any truer.

Then through a slightly unusual set of circumstances, a Pernambuco bodied acoustic found its way into my hands. Its tone is unlike any acoustic I've played. There aren't many of them around made by any builder, so don't miss a chance to see what it is about. Not too long ago I posted a cheesy video of me playing a song on five acoustics - this and the Laskins were among them. Just picture yourself in the bell tower of an ancient cathedral - that's the ring you will get from this guitar.
CK_310CollectionBackView.JPG

CK_312CollectionTop.JPG

And then there is the violin prototype. For this guitar, the prototype is very different from the guitars in the run. On the surface, you might expect it to be much like the Dragon, and it does have gobs of that stereotypical Brazilian neck flavour. But it has a lot of other stuff going on. Most notable to me was how well balanced the electronics are - more than any other guitar I've spent a reasonable amount of time with. You plug this sucker in and let it roar.
CK_1236ViolaMdt.JPG

I have other guitars that suit certain tonal spaces, but these are the tone machines.

Win-Win-Win

OY64Z9F.jpg

4lZxME1.jpg

IM9hDac.jpg

OUo2meW.jpg

ZST8LAf.jpg

TPYBuLB.jpg

Dear 8lbs 5oz Sweet Baby Jesus laying in a manger...

Back