Looking sweet Alan. You stole all my posters!!

It took a while to find the Ace - I thought it was in some stuff my dad sent over a few years ago. Turns out I'd had it all along, just in a different tube. I did find a different Kiss poster on the Love Gun/Alive II stage. Turns out that one's too big for the frame.

Unfortunately, my Randy Rhoads and Shelley Hack posters were not in the box. :(

bea70c9d2193598477d87d3424d2ebda.jpg

d2ff90b029e3744d2f132eccfa710b9d.jpg

It took a while to find the Ace - I thought it was in some stuff my dad sent over a few years ago. Turns out I'd had it all along, just in a different tube. I did find a different Kiss poster on the Love Gun/Alive II stage. Turns out that one's too big for the frame.

Unfortunately, my Randy Rhoads and Shelley Hack posters were not in the box. :(

bea70c9d2193598477d87d3424d2ebda.jpg

d2ff90b029e3744d2f132eccfa710b9d.jpg

An Angel! Granted, during the demise, but still.....

An Angel! Granted, during the demise, but still.....

Absolutely! And even though it was the demise, that's the only season I bought on DVD (for like $10). I've even sat through cheesy movies because she was in them (not all the cheesy movies I've sat through, but all the ones she was in were pretty cheesy).

All right, finally. I bought a small dresser and two nightstands, all Ikea RAST - the Rast nightstand is the exact width to mount rack gear if you add the rails. Flipped one nightstand and mounted it on top of the other, and mounted the mic preamp I use for my stereo guitar rig. The rest is storage for various boxes and such I use to organize 25 years of cables and adapters and parts and pickups and stuff. The mixer we use for band practice recordings. It's way easier on the ears than throwing up a mic in the room or something. Also, some other outs from the mixer run the keys and vox through the PA.

This is probably the least janky it'll be ever. The drums are out of the room currently so I was able to get everything reorganized and nice looking, and get a decent photo. Missing: my Mira (on loan to a buddy) and my Santana SE (mostly lives in my office at work).

cuI819i.jpg

Well, it's not quite finished, but finished enough to give a pretty good idea of how it's all going to work. I'm glad I took this week off to make it my project. My legs are sore as hell from crawling around on the floor.

So...background. When we moved to this house and I finally set stuff up, what I had was a Roland DAW and a Windows For Workgroups 3.11 computer running a sequencer. The Roland sat on top of my rack and was centered nicely between my monitors. When I switched to the Mac, I was no longer centered for mixing. Plus I'd had years of squeezing things in here and there. So the plan was to make this more ergonomic and efficient.

Two things really kicked this off. One was seeing an article about the desk. It's by output.com - they're a company that mostly sells loops and other music stuff, but they also designed this desk. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything else near the price that had all the features I wanted. The other thing was...my studio chair broke. The hydraulic thing died. I think I paid about $40 for it. We went to look for a new one, and I found a nice big comfy chair (no one expects the Spanish Inquisition, but that's another skit). Got a great deal on it, but it was bigger than the old one, and I was constantly banging into my keyboard. So it was time to do something.

olddesk1.jpg

Olddesk2.jpg

That's the old area. (Apologies to Les for not issuing a warning first!). First day was tearing down a lot of the stuff and moving it out of the area. Build the desk (only took about 90 minutes). Next day was putting all the rack stuff into the desk and wiring it up. Cleaned up nicely.

Newdesk.jpg

Still have to clear off the keyboard stand. I think the old rack is going in that spot with another drawer or two. Then I'll put the second monitor stand in place and bring back the pedals. I'm thinking about putting my amp heads on the rack cabinet - keeps them easily at hand, like Les set up (so thanks for that idea, Les!), but I have to check cabling. I may have to tweak the right monitor - not sure if being closer to the corner will cause me issues. But I got to dig up my old Ace Frehley poster! And for the curious, that's Billy & The Boingers (signed by Berkeley Breathed), Ace, the Love Gun artwork (signed by Ken Kelly) and a Vintage Trouble poster. Gotta figure out where the action figures will reside - and I bought one of the Kevin Smith Funko figures as a prompt to create more.

Bonus - it also gives me a surface to work on guitars. That'll make it easier to change strings, pickups, etc. Keeps me off the dining room table!
A little voice inside my head:

“Here’s a picture of your father at the front of the house, but you can see the side of the house” Rip.o_O

Welcome to Show Your Space, where everything's PRS and the points don't matter.

Whether it's a studio, a room in your house/apartment or a buddy's mom's garage, I'd love to see some aesthetically pleasing playing spaces... and score them (maybe)!

Points for items in the picture:
- 3 points per amp (4 points for PRS amps)
- 3 points for combo amps (4 points for PRS combo)
- 1 point for each individual speaker in a cabinet
- 2 points per guitar (4 points for PRS)
- 7 points for PRS private stock
- 15 points for bonni pink
- 1 point for Persian rug ( +2 for having one, -1 for lack of originality)
- 0.1 points per pedal (tastefully included)
- 1 to 10 points for functionality
- 1 to 1,000,000 points for overall aesthetic pleasure assigned subjectively by whoever
- -5000 points for messy cords

I imagined I wouldn't be able to solicit pictures from anyone unless I show mine first. ;)

mSaWbCe.jpg

Looking forward to some really cool set-ups!
Your space arrangement looks very comfortable, I like it.

Back