Runs From The Past - Celebrate What Was And Still Is!

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
Was taking this Collection Series VI out for a walk when I got reminded how majestic these limited runs from the past are.

PRS puts out so many fantastic runs, the latest being the Graveyard LTD. Occasionally it’s necessary to celebrate the glorious past!
PELTySA.jpg
6FmrU2i.jpg
KpohJqq.jpg
RdXcB2Q.jpg
PbybV7t.jpg

Last edited:
Show your blasts from the past! Limited runs that give you that oomph to this day.

Rosewood limiteds, 59/09 limiteds, Artists I-V, etc. Those that make you miss the good old days!

Last edited:
From Mr. Epic, Brent Moss

At least I still have this one!

1 of 2 (#2 was a hard tail C24 I believe. Woody tone for days perfectly matched with 53/10s.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sold - TOL (bad back, too heavy :() (another Moss PS Limited run). While I still miss this one, I traded to my PS build which is even better for tone and playability. :)

image.jpg

Stupidly traded this 1 of 5 Bahama Mama Mk II run for another guitar (PS SC594SH, didn’t bond with it, long gone). Beautiful, unique tone (Obeche) and very light weight! Yet another Moss PS limited run!
image.jpg

Tone wise the SCT ME I was really what I was looking for.

Speaking of which...
SCT ME I aim FBJ. 8lbs of perfection with 59/09s.
38_C3_A97_D-8_F60-4_CE4-83_DD-6_CD00665743_B.jpg

Recently sold my Coll IX - gotta pay for that roof!
68-EAE11-A-B768-4-CB8-9-C50-40-EE28-E8-E4-AF.jpg

At least it went to a good home - personal collection of one of the great PRS dealers:)

Had this one for a weekend. Wish I could find a quilted SCT version of this with a Braz neck! Didn’t bond with the #9 pickups. Traded it in for the TOL, which I loved until my herniated disc and sciatica.
0_EB63_AE0-_FF26-4517-_B08_F-_A45_F59_E37_BD3.jpg

Please folks, learn from my painful lessons about the perils of over-trading!

Oh wait, is that a limited PS DGT with a Pernie neck!?! Come on, guys, show’em (again)! ;)

Was taking this Collection Series VI out for a walk when I got reminded how majestic these limited runs from the past are.

PRS puts out so many fantastic runs, the latest being the Graveyard LTD. Occasionally it’s necessary to celebrate the glorious past!
PELTySA.jpg
6FmrU2i.jpg
KpohJqq.jpg
RdXcB2Q.jpg
PbybV7t.jpg
love that inlay and wide curl flame top!

Man, those photos you posted are cathartic when viewed in sequence! Just beautiful.

The flame on this one is amazing. So wide and so defined:
0_EB63_AE0-_FF26-4517-_B08_F-_A45_F59_E37_BD3.jpg

As for this Collection Series guitar, if a dealer who probably sees hundreds of PRS guitars annually deems it worthy for his own personal collection,.....(fill in the blanks)
68-EAE11-A-B768-4-CB8-9-C50-40-EE28-E8-E4-AF.jpg

I fell for that guitar because of that wide band between the pickups. I thought it was unique in an artistic way. It’s my ‘pyjamas’ guitar.

Some people have asked me why I paid Collection price for not even a 10 top. They urged me to seek a refund. :rolleyes:

As for this...
image.jpg

I’ve never seen Koa with such thorough flame. Usually there’d be some dead spots, even for private stocks. Moreover that’s probably enough thickness for 3 tops! That’s a one-off specimen!

This is one run to mention to the younglest folks here. The Violin guitar. Run of 50 in 2009.

Tone monsters. Total vintage feel. Paul actually did a ‘live’ on stage A-B comparison with a genuine 58 or 59 Les Paul to prove the point. Neck wood is pernambuco which was Paul’s “calling card” wood of choice till it became unavailable. It’s the same stuff used for traditional violin bows, 30k or no. :rolleyes:

The top is European maple which has a distinct flame pattern, from a region where Stradivari apparently once sourced his violin maple wood. Hence the name. Not unlike the current day Graveyard limited! Inlays are Celtic knots, which are again Paul’s insignia of sorts.

Just.....Legend!
RzVMZVv.jpg

That’s lovely! Do you find anything unusual about the tone on this run? Like, unusually woody, more resonant?

Thanks! It has the early 57/08s (including a coil-tap, which apparently wasn't supposed to be there), and it was the first guitar where I really felt that vintage tone. I've never measured, but I'm guessing it's on the lower end of the output scale. I can't say there was anything about the wood that stood out, tone-wise.

This is one run to mention to the younglest folks here. The Violin guitar. Run of 50 in 2009.

Tone monsters. Total vintage feel. Paul actually did a ‘live’ on stage A-B comparison with a genuine 58 or 59 Les Paul to prove the point. Neck wood is pernambuco which was Paul’s “calling card” wood of choice till it became unavailable. It’s the same stuff used for traditional violin bows, 30k or no. :rolleyes:

The top is European maple which has a distinct flame pattern, from a region where Stradivari apparently once sourced his violin maple wood. Hence the name. Not unlike the current day Graveyard limited! Inlays are Celtic knots, which are again Paul’s insignia of sorts.

Just.....Legend!
RzVMZVv.jpg
Would love to get my hands on one of these someday!

Cant believe you let that Bahama Mama go....
I’m not a huge fan of the tone from maple necks in general (was my first maple neck PRS). Also Obeche body didn’t have that same low/mid grunt I wanted from a SC. I rationalized that was enough of a reason to move it since I don’t collect wall ornaments.

After I acquired a ME I SCT I realized THAT was the tone I had wanted from the Bahama Mama.

That said, I wish I had it back! It went up for sale after I traded it, but only lasted like one day.

Back