Show your PRS guitar wear!

That's why I didn't mention the word, relic. Means faked for me too.
But hey, ok, if you insist... show me your guitar natural relic and then show me your PRS clothing if that makes you happy :p:D

I remember PRSh talking about relics one year at Experience. He said, "Seriously, I can beat the hell out of a guitar and sell it for $2000 more? Somebody get my truck and a rope..."

I have a couple from the 90's that are similar. Look fine at a distance, close up, lots of dings, pick scratches and swirl. It's all honest gig wear. I'll see if I can capture a few close up pics.

That's generally how they wear in my experience. I have a bunch of close-up pics of wear on the CU24 I had and my HBII, but if you back up a couple feet, you don't even notice.

13628325_758423587632563_922392623_n.jpg
18888827_525308637638057_5378794922981720064_n.jpg
19122022_187608355103063_1364013194380574720_n.jpg
19535021_849924295160581_8641934306513518592_n.jpg

My McCarty has had a case of "Budweiser-itis" from time to time. I put a large ding to the wood on the lower bout in the scrape binding. Bugged the living daylights out of me. One too many and thinking "it's time to play my most treasured guitar"!!! Ironically dropped a guitar stand on it....:-/ My guy took it out when I had the thing set up and the nut changed. Super Glue drop method..ohh band name alert!!! Can't even find the ding now.. but I tend to play it sober now...;-) I'll get three sheets with a strat, but no longer with my Mac.

Loving the pictures. Was going to start a thread just like this before I found this one. I think it's funny how wear on something like a Strat, Tele or Les Paul is perfectly normal to see - desirable even; but on a PRS we expect to see them pristine. This is probably because we're just so used to seeing those other guitars in beaten up condition being played by famous musicians.

I want to see more pictures of PRSi looking a bit beaten up, of wear and tear from gigs - or just that dent from where you smacked it against the case that time and you're still kicking yourself now over. I want to normalise the wear, because I'm sure as heck going to ding mine (and already have done).

It's part of the reason that I'm so relaxed about buying second hand guitars (in fact I now don't have any guitars that I bought from new). Someone else has already had that opportunity to put the first dent in, so when I inevitably do it too I don't feel quite so bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm careful with them, I keep them well looked after and clean and well maintained, but I also want to play them.

when I bought my 53/10 ltd second hand it was already 4 years old, but it was immaculate. There were no marks or dings anywhere. The satin PF09 finish was still a uniform satin everywhere. It barely looked like it had been touched. Now 3.5 years later it has some very minor bumps and chips around the flanks, but the biggest signs of wear is the nitro satin finish, all the areas that I have contact with are a nice dull gloss. Now that it doesn't look pristine, I'm a lot more relaxed playing it! And it needs to be played rather than sit in the case as it's a fantastic instrument.

I do wonder, hypothetically if you keep a PRS unplayed for 50 years, sheltered from light and humidity, how would it look.

Or would there be yellowing of lacquer, dulling of color, other signs of age. In other words would it look the best of both worlds - vintage old instrument but in perfect condition.

Or are PRS guitars destined to look new forever.

Oh well, only another 45 years to go to find out.

would there be yellowing of lacquer, dulling of color, other signs of age.

Running with this...I guess it depends on the model. As most PRSi have a urethane, or hybrid urethane finish I guess they'd be more stable than the 50 year old Fenders and Gibsons we see today. The nitrocellulose finish of those guitars is an organic finish and can shrink or crack with age - hence the crazy paving look of some old guitars. And most PRSi don't have binding to go all yellow. I think it's the pickup rings that are most likely to fail on mine. They are already starting to crack at the corners and they're only 8 years old.

Back