Show your pedalboard!

Recently picked up a TC Mimiq to help with full time stereo tones. I had to make a few cables that are around 24" with one straight plug and one 90 degree plug. So, here we are now:

rcHXnHA.jpg

The signal chain is like this: Bonafide Buffer, Drop, Super Plextortion, out to amp (Egnater TOL50), FX send to Tuner, Mimiq (where it splits into Stereo), Mobius, Delay, Looper, Stereo out to Mesa 20/20.

Nice and clean!

I've gone very old school lately since I've been focused on the blues band. Tuning with a Snark at the beginning of a session. Then it's into the always-on Hustle Drive into the clean side of the Blues Deluxe. I am having a TON of fun with the 594 and this simple rig.

kubZGkql.jpg

Nice and clean!

I've gone very old school lately since I've been focused on the blues band. Tuning with a Snark at the beginning of a session. Then it's into the always-on Hustle Drive into the clean side of the Blues Deluxe. I am having a TON of fun with the 594 and this simple rig.

Much respect for the Blue Deluxe, loved them myself, owning 2 separate amps. Bass side always seemed a bit loose, something a little EQing, and either a good compressor or overdrive would work well with. Used to sit on my far wall, beyond the furnace vent...

Something like that. You can plug it into anything, but it's best paired with an FRFR cab like the Headrush FRFR108.

Am genuinely curious...how's the learning curve for the Headrush? Would its larger cousin with the additional footswitches be easier to navigate and create user rigs? And lastly, tone and portability-wise, how does the HR sound and how would you use it on stage?

The reason for my questions is because I currently own (my the previously posted FX board) that is ungainly, and awkward to use (typically requiring greater soundcheck time I'm not given prior to showtime).

Also, the wiring of my effects sometimes cuts out if transport causes signal interruption. Was thinking that a dedicated circuit board (like Headrush) would provide better build quality without the necessary connections checks before showtime. This way, it's better described as a "hand-up."

Was also wondering how the HR might pair with a clean 1x12 combo boutique-style amp I'm saving for future use.

Last edited:
I made a small change to my board, despite saying I’d never change a thing. I’d been using the tuner built into the H9, but missed my Peterson tuner. My older Peterson is big and heavy, so I set it up for sweetened bass tunings, and never put it on this board. It’s good to have it ready to go for bass, or guest players.

Peterson recently came out with a smaller tuner. I couldn’t resist getting one and adding it. I use the sweetened tuning for guitar that works well with my PRSes.The updated board:

nKopwNj.jpg

I made a small change to my board, despite saying I’d never change a thing. I’d been using the tuner built into the H9, but missed my Peterson tuner. My older Peterson is big and heavy, so I set it up for sweetened bass tunings, and never put it on this board. It’s good to have it ready to go for bass, or guest players.

Peterson recently came out with a smaller tuner. I couldn’t resist getting one and adding it. I use the sweetened tuning for guitar that works well with my PRSes.The updated board:

nKopwNj.jpg
Looks tidy. I'm familiar with the Suhr pedals, but what's with the Pettyjohn stuff? Educate me a little please :)

Looks tidy. I'm familiar with the Suhr pedals, but what's with the Pettyjohn stuff? Educate me a little please :)

The idea behind Pettyjohn’s stuff is to use the component parts used in higher end studio gear to enhance and color what’s coming from the guitar in a different way from most pedals.

They do give the audio a world class studio vibe. This isn’t wild and crazy guitar stuff, it’s more of a tone freak approach.

As such, the pedals are probably a better investment for lower gain players than, say, metalheads.

nKopwNj.jpg

I don't know Les...looks cool and all...but the cable from your new tuner t the Alexa hangs off the board. Kinda ruins the whole vibe you got going there...:p

For folks who employ any of the Headrush product line...please educate us as to what you like and dislike, the ease of use, the learning curve, etc. Am putting some thought into what would improve my existing effects board, if not replace it altogether with a Headrush product...

Am genuinely curious...how's the learning curve for the Headrush? Would its larger cousin with the additional footswitches be easier to navigate and create user rigs? And lastly, tone and portability-wise, how does the HR sound and how would you use it on stage?

The reason for my questions is because I currently own (my the previously posted FX board) that is ungainly, and awkward to use (typically requiring greater soundcheck time I'm not given prior to showtime).

Also, the wiring of my effects sometimes cuts out if transport causes signal interruption. Was thinking that a dedicated circuit board (like Headrush) would provide better build quality without the necessary connections checks before showtime. This way, it's better described as a "hand-up."

Was also wondering how the HR might pair with a clean 1x12 combo boutique-style amp I'm saving for future use.

I haven't tried the larger Headrush Pedalboard yet but since I have tried the smaller Gigboard, I feel like it's all I need. The Gigboard and the Pedalboard sounds exactly the same tone-wise, except that the Gigboard is smaller with fewer footswtiches. You can assign patches to each switch anyway and in my experience, I never needed more than 4 patches in one song. User-wise, the generous 7" screen is excellent! It's just you are using a traditional physical pedal. You can drag a pedal and switch it's order. Double-click on a pedal and then change the parameters to adjust your tone. On stage (I rarely do) I use it with the Headrush FRFR cab. It has am xlr line output that you can feed to your venue's main board and use your FRFR cab as your monitor. So, all you need to bring to a gig is your guitar/s, Gigboard (or Pedalboard), the FRFR cab, and the necessary cables. It's really convenient.

It also has a very cool 20-minute looper, so you can record yourself play, then play it, go to the back of your venue place to listen to how your set up sounds.

You may absolutely plug it into your combo. You can do the 4-cable on it, or plug into its return in its loop or power amp in. I used to plug my ex-mfx into the power amp in of my combo. However, eversince I tried the Headrush FRFR cab, I was sold to it and disposed all my amps giving me more room in my home studio. The FRFR is full range-flat response and it is like painting on a blank canvas. Everything is crystal clear and exactly how I want it to sound.

You may want to look at the Boss GT-1000 too. You can adjust your tone via bluetooth. Record your guitar on the built-in looper, go to the back of the room and adjust your tone on your phone or tablet via bluetooth. It's tuner is also polyphonic cutting tuning time. I loved the tuner on my ex GT-100.

I haven't tried the larger Headrush Pedalboard yet but since I have tried the smaller Gigboard, I feel like it's all I need. The Gigboard and the Pedalboard sounds exactly the same tone-wise, except that the Gigboard is smaller with fewer footswtiches. You can assign patches to each switch anyway and in my experience, I never needed more than 4 patches in one song. User-wise, the generous 7" screen is excellent! It's just you are using a traditional physical pedal. You can drag a pedal and switch it's order. Double-click on a pedal and then change the parameters to adjust your tone. On stage (I rarely do) I use it with the Headrush FRFR cab. It has am xlr line output that you can feed to your venue's main board and use your FRFR cab as your monitor. So, all you need to bring to a gig is your guitar/s, Gigboard (or Pedalboard), the FRFR cab, and the necessary cables. It's really convenient.

It also has a very cool 20-minute looper, so you can record yourself play, then play it, go to the back of your venue place to listen to how your set up sounds.

You may absolutely plug it into your combo. You can do the 4-cable on it, or plug into its return in its loop or power amp in. I used to plug my ex-mfx into the power amp in of my combo. However, eversince I tried the Headrush FRFR cab, I was sold to it and disposed all my amps giving me more room in my home studio. The FRFR is full range-flat response and it is like painting on a blank canvas. Everything is crystal clear and exactly how I want it to sound.

You may want to look at the Boss GT-1000 too. You can adjust your tone via bluetooth. Record your guitar on the built-in looper, go to the back of the room and adjust your tone on your phone or tablet via bluetooth. It's tuner is also polyphonic cutting tuning time. I loved the tuner on my ex GT-100.

Thank you, I'm left-footed, so some effects boards are off the table for me. I'll ask about the HR with my sales rep and see if it might be something that might replace my existing effects...either the Gigboard with EXP pedal, or the larger Pedalboard. FTR, I've previously tried the GT line and found it a bit too "digital sounding..." Am wondering if the HR has improved (esp with the quad DSP) tone quality...

FTR, I've previously tried the GT line and found it a bit too "digital sounding..." Am wondering if the HR has improved (esp with the quad DSP) tone quality...

For me, because I just like the convenience of mfx/modelers, I just have to accept and appreciate what they give me instead of comparing them with the real thing. I stopped thinking what they simulate and just choosing the tone I like.

For me, because I just like the convenience of mfx/modelers, I just have to accept and appreciate what they give me instead of comparing them with the real thing. I stopped thinking what they simulate and just choosing the tone I like.

Thanks again for your insights. Could you describe how one might work with the 4-cable method so as to use an amp with the HR Gigboard?

(IOW, what connections where, and types of cables are used...?)

(IIRC, setting up the global parameter allows for amp or line out use, for best results.)

Last edited:
Back