Show your pedalboard!

Yay! Finally got some work done on the pedal board.

Started with this! All the power parts previously stuffed under the shelf are out for noise issues. I had been using a 10 year old Dunlop DC brick. Its outputs were not isolated and I was getting a metric shipload of noise issues. So, I quieted things down a bit by using 4 individual power adapters but was still getting some buzzing. By removing all the power from the board, I got the noise to an acceptable level. That said, you can see what a mess this was. Also, Dog hair. Shedding is my labrador's favorite.

20170310_134740.jpg

At work we no longer have the uninterruptible power supplies these 90s-computer-white metal rack mount thingies were meant for. So, I cut off part of it and painted it with metal colored spray paint.

20170311_153937.jpg

Then I built a 6" by 21" shelf and mounted it using the rack mount thingies.

20170311_174455_HDR.jpg

I also added some access holes on the bottom and covered them with some metal parts from some server hard drives that were manufactured in 1999. 18GB drives running at 10,000 RPM! SCSI 3 connectors! High tech.

And finally I drank 6 beers and wired it up. You can see my new power solution, the Strymon Ojai. The entire board is quiet now, even quieter than when I had the 4 adapters pulled away from the board.

20170311_213151.jpg

Just need a couple more things. Eventually there will be a 3rd shelf. There's room for it. Also, I need to find a super small connector to go between the Drop and Super Plextortion so I can get those lined up a bit better.

By the way, this board is designed to fit a Pelican 1600 case. Works great!

Started with this! All the power parts previously stuffed under the shelf are out for noise issues. I had been using a 10 year old Dunlop DC brick. Its outputs were not isolated and I was getting a metric shipload of noise issues. So, I quieted things down a bit by using 4 individual power adapters but was still getting some buzzing. By removing all the power from the board, I got the noise to an acceptable level. That said, you can see what a mess this was. Also, Dog hair. Shedding is my labrador's favorite.

20170310_134740.jpg

At work we no longer have the uninterruptible power supplies these 90s-computer-white metal rack mount thingies were meant for. So, I cut off part of it and painted it with metal colored spray paint.

20170311_153937.jpg

20170311_174455_HDR.jpg

I also added some access holes on the bottom and covered them with some metal parts from some server hard drives that were manufactured in 1999. 18GB drives running at 10,000 RPM! SCSI 3 connectors! High tech.

And finally I drank 6 beers and wired it up. You can see my new power solution, the Strymon Ojai. The entire board is quiet now, even quieter than when I had the 4 adapters pulled away from the board.

20170311_213151.jpg

Just need a couple more things. Eventually there will be a 3rd shelf. There's room for it. Also, I need to find a super small connector to go between the Drop and Super Plextortion so I can get those lined up a bit better.

Nice! Lookin' good!

20170310_134740.jpg

20170311_153937.jpg

20170311_174455_HDR.jpg

20170311_213151.jpg

Ingenuity at work!! Nice job... looks great!

not all but my two favs

Moog make incredible gear

I use the ODB3 for both guitar and bass. might sound weird but I got the idea from the Melvins - it can work as a nice slightly dirty boost with a low end kick to full on power tube failure broken fuzz - makes a little class A combo sound like a model T. Even better through a 15"

If anyone gets a chance have a play with moog gear. Very interesting and well made units, not just for guitar of course.

The ring mod is awesome, the drive is always on even when the effect is bypassed btw and it gives a gnarly distortion when you crank it so I sometimes use that as a drive too.

I am about to order a Sunn model T preamp clone from a russian company to use in front of an ashdown amp, again for both guitar and bass.

Speaking of pedalboards. Here's Paul Gilbert's Rig Rundown with his starting at 12:09. He's got a unique and very innovative solution to keep his pedal knobs from moving at 15:30:

I run into a Dunlop Volume X -> RockBox Boiling Point -> Custom Tones Ethos Overdrive -> Eventide H9. These two incredibly flexible overdrives give me all the flavors I need from Tube Screamer to Plexi to Dumble and even two amazingly combinable clean boosts! The Eventide H9 does everything else I need , I want another H9 and a good wah to finish the board off. I will post a pic as soon as I find a photo host other that PB.

I run into a Dunlop Volume X -> RockBox Boiling Point -> Custom Tones Ethos Overdrive -> Eventide H9. These two incredibly flexible overdrives give me all the flavors I need from Tube Screamer to Plexi to Dumble and even two amazingly combinable clean boosts! The Eventide H9 does everything else I need , I want another H9 and a good wah to finish the board off. I will post a pic as soon as I find a photo host other that PB.

Love the Boiling Point...you don't hear about it often...but one of the best and most versatile pedals from clean boost to screaming distortion IMHO.

I like the last two. Just going through and reading these and seeing the pictures has made me realize how little I know about pedals. I have a Cry Baby Wah Pedal, an old Chorus and my amp boxes so not even enough for a real pedal board. Is there a magazine or website (or a few) that goes over these things and what they do and what the differences are? I know the basics, obviously, but some of the brands and names are beyond me. I've just never used very much as far as effects go.

I like the last two. Just going through and reading these and seeing the pictures has made me realize how little I know about pedals. I have a Cry Baby Wah Pedal, an old Chorus and my amp boxes so not even enough for a real pedal board. Is there a magazine or website (or a few) that goes over these things and what they do and what the differences are? I know the basics, obviously, but some of the brands and names are beyond me. I've just never used very much as far as effects go.
Even though you know the basics, a refresher isn't a bad thing. Wikipedia has some good entries on typical guitar effects pedals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_unit

which has nice links to a bunch of specifics, including:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(music)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorus_effect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoplex

the last one links to the generic explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_(audio_effect)

I hate to suggest it, because it could be the start of an expensive adventure, but check out The Gear Page effects forum for endless info, opinions, demos, opinions, news, opinions, and threads like this one (and did I mention lots of opinions?):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4

(I think that is it - the site is now blocked here at work...)

EDIT: oh yeah, and if you have a favorite artist, e.g. Pink Floyd or David Gilmour, and that guitarist is known for using various effects, you can often find websites or at least sub-pages dedicated to their rig run down. e.g.:

http://www.gilmourish.com/

Awesome, thank you. I've never really used nor needed that many but it would be nice to know what all the new (to me) ones are and what they do and how they compare.

So since all my PB links in this thread are dead, and I have a new board, I'll post it:

jIKgwVS.jpg

This is what I will use for all-acoustic gigs, where my electric guitars stay home. My PRS SE Angelus, a mandolin, and a banjo will go into this.

The boost was the most important pedal for doing leads (after the wireless, I suppose), and I do like a bit of delay for my leads, usually, so I put that on there. And because I already had it sitting idle and it fit, to add some occasional color I put on a modulation pedal (Metric Bender - where does Donner get their names?).

This is a lot lighter than my main gigging board. I use a G30 wireless on that board too. Hey, I'll post a pic of that later - in the middle of a minor clean-up taking off a looper pedal that I wasn't using while gigging but would occasionally accidentally engage.

And here is the main gigging board, where I can get nice acoustic sounds from piezo equipped guitars switched through the Fishman Aura, and normal electric tones through the "electric" (dirt or clean) side of the LS-2.

If I use an electric guitar with no piezo I can emulate the acoustic sound pretty ok by also engaging the BodyRez.

If I play into the PA directly (or via an acoustic amp like my Fishman Loudbox) I engage the Joyo Clean Glass, which emulates the electric guitar amp tonal curve with a little bit of gain grit. If I play direct into a regular (tube) guitar amp, I turn that off, usually (although it does produce a nice tone engaged, a bit "Scholtz-Boston"-ish, since he re-amp multiple times, as I understand it).

Zsnx0Ay.jpg

Back