Show your pedal boards here!

Man, I'm rethinking the BD-2. The OCD is one I'm really looking at. The other I like is the TC Electronic Spark Booster. Have you played it? It's a great color and harmonic added for clean and driven tones, and can get into low gain overdrive on it's own.

The BD-2 is a very good pedal, especially the Waza version of it, but I found that it doesn't work with as many amps as I'd like. So I haven't had one since the 90s or early 2000s. I like TC gear, but haven't played the Spark. Sounds like it might be a good thing, and similar in a way to the KokoBoost. As I said, the OCD is pretty much a classic by now, and so many session players I use and guitar gods have them on their pedalboards, there's a reason for it (though to be fair, a lot of them use Boss and other boutique pedals and like them just fine).

Maybe I need a bigger pedal board and should just get both ;)

Everyone needs a bigger pedalboard. Then you get one, fill it up, and wind up needing an aircraft carrier!

Do you, or does anyone reading this, use an EQ pedal at all?

Yup. My H9 has an EQ algorithm that's pretty amazing, and the Koji Comp compressor (the gold pedal) also has an EQ high frequency boost built in. I've also used the Boss EQ in the past, and before that, rackmount EQs into guitar amps.

EQs don't just alter the tone balance; you have to keep in mind that they make any frequencies they boost louder, or make any frequencies they cut softer, going into other pedals and/or into the amp. This can completely change the character of your sound by pushing those altered frequencies differently from the amp's tone controls and preamp circuit.

Good examples of very well known players using EQ to alter their amplified tone are Eric Clapton, whose guitars often have a midrange boost, Brian May's treble booster, that pushes the high frequencies on his Vox amps to get them to break up earlier on the high frequency end of the spectrum, and there are many more examples.

In addition to pushing the amp differently, they alter the signal produced by your pickups, and can shape that tone a lot of ways. In fact, the famous session player Tim Pierce uses his Boss EQ on sessions as not only a typical EQ but actually as a Boost Pedal to drive an amp into distortion, by turning up the volume.

Lots of uses for an EQ. My only caveat is to find a good sounding one.

Added a TC Spark Booster

image.jpg

Really nice! What's the distortion pedal you're using?
The dirt pedal I use most is a RAT Clone called a Myomorpha. Micro-sized, but works quite well. I used that into a Fender HRDX on the majority of leads recorded this weekend in the studio recording our CD.

I also used the Keeley Oxblood for one lead. I have an EQD Dream Crusher for occasional use jamming at home/practice (sounds really good into the HRDX!)

Here's a close up of the big-board, which stays at home (but can be taken for a gig if deemed appropriate):

IMG_9337LR_1024_zps398af612.jpg

I got one of these Behringer PB1000 boards too, probably could have made do with the PB600 but somehow I know it will probably be full by next Xmas. But I am somewhat outraged that mine didn't come with a Dalek! I will have to harass somebody at Sweetwater about it (as an excuse to buy more gear)!

I got one of these Behringer PB1000 boards too, probably could have made do with the PB600 but somehow I know it will probably be full by next Xmas. But I am somewhat outraged that mine didn't come with a Dalek! I will have to harass somebody at Sweetwater about it (as an excuse to buy more gear)!
Oh man, that post is soooo old! That was my first "real" pedal board (vs a plank with carpet cut-outs to hold the pedals), and I obviously had just got my second board (the smaller Behringer). I'm three PedalTrain boards beyond that now! And that was just a couple of years ago...seems like a lifetime...

Here's my main board, DIY built. Saving a spot for a special purple overdrive :) (only about 1 more year left to wait):

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

Two surprises on the bottom - I'm hiding a Visual Sounds/True Tone buffer, and secondly these are all powered off a Fuel Tank Jr. (with an open spot to boot, and it's quiet!). I was using a larger power supply (Chameleon), but once I added a dedicated effects loop I had a noisy ground loop issue that I narrowed down to the power supply (which is supposed to have isolated outputs, I don't know it's a mystery to me why it didn't work).

image_4.jpeg

Here's my main board, DIY built. Saving a spot for a special purple overdrive :) (only about 1 more year left to wait):

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

Two surprises on the bottom - I'm hiding a Visual Sounds buffer, and secondly these are all powered off a Fuel Tank Jr. I was using a larger power supply, but once I added a dedicated effects loop I had a noisy ground loop issue that I narrowed down to the power supply (which is supposed to have isolated outputs, I don't know it's a mystery to me why it didn't work).

image_4.jpeg

Very neat for a homemade board, kudos! Say, how do you like that Amptweaker Tightmetal Jr? I've seen a couple killer demos of the bigger Pro unit, but I wonder how the smaller pedal does with single coils without the built-in mid boost on the Pro.

Thanks!

I like the Tight Metal Jr a lot. It has a couple switches for EQ to make it a little more versatile, which could maybe give you a mid-boost? You are giving up features of the larger versions though (obviously). It's not my favorite for low gain, but nails Metallica to modern metal, and the built-in gate works well enough to be useful.

Here's board #2:
image_5.jpeg

And the big power supply:

image_6.jpeg

Thanks!

I like the Tight Metal Jr a lot. It has a couple switches for EQ to make it a little more versatile, which could maybe give you a mid-boost? You are giving up features of the larger versions though (obviously). It's not my favorite for low gain, but nails Metallica to modern metal, and the built-in gate works well enough to be useful.

Absolutely, that's a pure metal beastie. I am trying to decide between that Jr version and a MXR Fullbore, which also has a built-in gate. I'm only occasionally in the mood for metal, which leans me toward the MXR as it's quite a bit less expensive, but it's really, really hard to ignore the amp-like touch and attack the Tightmetal pedals get in the demos I've seen. Granted that those YouTube demo guys like Pete Thorn and Rabea Massaad can make a 90s Zoom box sound like a firebreathing modded Soldano.

Oh man, that post is soooo old! That was my first "real" pedal board (vs a plank with carpet cut-outs to hold the pedals), and I obviously had just got my second board (the smaller Behringer). I'm three PedalTrain boards beyond that now! And that was just a couple of years ago...seems like a lifetime...

I had (still have, actually, but don't use anymore) the PB1000, also.. The main issue I had with it was the lip on the bottom - I found I was always having to step over that lip to get to the pedal..

But yeah, I also "graduated" to my two current Pedaltrains...

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

Two surprises on the bottom - I'm hiding a Visual Sounds/True Tone buffer, and secondly these are all powered off a Fuel Tank Jr. (with an open spot to boot, and it's quiet!). I was using a larger power supply (Chameleon), but once I added a dedicated effects loop I had a noisy ground loop issue that I narrowed down to the power supply (which is supposed to have isolated outputs, I don't know it's a mystery to me why it didn't work).

image_4.jpeg

Nice build! I'm clueless on that "purple pedal". Clue me in.....

Nice build! I'm clueless on that "purple pedal". Clue me in.....
Analogman King of Tone. Long waiting list, unless you're willing to pay double the price on reverb, eBay, etc.

Supposed to be a really good overdrive, two stackable sides, filled with magic or some nonsense lol.

Analogman King of Tone. Long waiting list, unless you're willing to pay double the price on reverb, eBay, etc.

Supposed to be a really good overdrive, two stackable sides, filled with magic or some nonsense lol.

Cool. Thanks. Not familiar, but heading to YT to check out some vids.

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_4.jpeg
Nice! Totally reminds me of my old board, except mine was three times bigger and probably heavier. But no doubt a work of art, very nice job indeed.

I changed my board just a bit. Same physical layout, but now the volume pedal is in the circuit before the delay and reverb.

Here's my little board. It changes fairly often, but the flavors are always about the same: a couple different drives, delay, and tremolo, with a volume pedal and tuner. This version might stick around for a while, though. I keep going back to the Timeline because it's just so good. And the Suhr Jackrabbit does everything the bigger trem pedals does, but in a tiny package. The KTR has been the one constant over the last couple of years. Basically, this board makes all the sounds I want, and the size is nice. It makes load in much easier than my last board. For the curious, the board is by Temple boards and the power supply is a Strymon Ojai.

Here's my little board. It changes fairly often, but the flavors are always about the same: a couple different drives, delay, and tremolo, with a volume pedal and tuner. This version might stick around for a while, though. I keep going back to the Timeline because it's just so good. And the Suhr Jackrabbit does everything the bigger trem pedals does, but in a tiny package. The KTR has been the one constant over the last couple of years. Basically, this board makes all the sounds I want, and the size is nice. It makes load in much easier than my last board. For the curious, the board is by Temple boards and the power supply is a Strymon Ojai.

Nice! Love the AT too. Great pedal!

Back