Show your pedal boards here!

I'm about to build a new board. It just came out of paint the other day.
image.png
I'm a little confused. Is part of that a cover? For a second I thought this was a futuristic copier paper tray.. :oops:

CORRECTAMUNDO! It's a Schmidt Array SA525 with a lid. This is a slightly narrower but deeper model that has more overall room than their bigger models with pedals. This one is designed to accommodate three Strymon wide pedals in a row. I plan on adding a satellite with pedals in a separate unit, possibly. The picture shows the lid frame; it will be covered on top by brushed aluminum. It'll eventually be a grab and go pedal platform complete with patch-wired connector boxes on right and left. All I have to do is connect the externals and I'm good to go, baby! This board is going to be controlled by a Gigrig G2 paired with a Selah Effects Quartz V3--a 12-channel MIDI stack delivery pedal. If you haven't heard of the Quartz V3, check it out, it's insane. I'm going to use it as a global tap-tempo setter and MIDI slave. Tap the tempo on the V3 and it sets it for all MIDI-connected pedals simultaneously. If I don't go blind and deaf setting it up, I'll post a few pics once she's all put together.

Word.

Viper Doc, you’ll love your new Schmidt Array when it arrives.

I could go on and on about mine, but the bottom line is that they’re not heavy (compared to my two previous, heavy custom-made boards - one of which was mostly aircraft aluminum - it’s a featherweight), the ergonomics, design thinking, and functionality are fantastic, they’re well-made, and they look pretty cool (at least in my studio I like the look).

I almost ordered mine with a patchbay on both sides, and while it wouldn’t have been necessary, it would have been useful, nonetheless. So ordering that was a very smart move you won’t regret in the long run.

They’re expensive to be sure, however it’s the best guitar accessory purchase I’ve ever made.

Since mine only gets studio use (I still have to break my setup down for various sessions so it’s nice to have a lightweight board with lots of jacks) I didn’t get the lid, but I bought the optional padded nylon soft bag to have something protective if I need do a session elsewhere, something that rarely happens. The bag can be folded and stowed away in a cabinet when not being used.

Viper Doc, you’ll love your new Schmidt Array when it arrives.

I could go on and on about mine, but the bottom line is that they’re not heavy (compared to my two previous, heavy custom-made boards - one of which was mostly aircraft aluminum - it’s a featherweight), the ergonomics, design thinking, and functionality are fantastic, they’re well-made, and they look pretty cool (at least in my studio I like the look).

I almost ordered mine with a patchbay on both sides, and while it wouldn’t have been necessary, it would have been useful, nonetheless. So ordering that was a very smart move you won’t regret in the long run.

They’re expensive to be sure, however it’s the best guitar accessory purchase I’ve ever made.

Since mine only gets studio use (I still have to break my setup down for various sessions so it’s nice to have a lightweight board with lots of jacks) I didn’t get the lid, but I bought the optional padded nylon soft bag to have something protective if I need do a session elsewhere, something that rarely happens. The bag can be folded and stowed away in a cabinet when not being used.
Cool, man. I can't wait to put it all together. I didn't want to wheel my board in, either, that's why I went for the 525. It holds more pedals than even their largest board because you've got room to go three rows deep.

Cool, man. I can't wait to put it all together. I didn't want to wheel my board in, either, that's why I went for the 525. It holds more pedals than even their largest board because you've got room to go three rows deep.

Using a switcher like the G2 you don’t need to reach all the pedals with your foot, so that choice makes perfect sense to me.

I gave very serious consideration to getting a G2 for its ability to easily change pedal order - I don’t play out so didn’t need to step through set list presets, etc. I think it looks ideal for that, and not having to dive through menus.

But then I thought, “When was the last time I changed pedal order?” And I couldn’t remember. So I figured I didn’t need it. Still, it’s the coolest idea ever for someone who’d take advantage of those great features.

So...what pedals are you planning to put on your board? Did Martyn send you a proposed board layout? Spill, man!

Last edited:
Using a switcher like the G2 you don’t need to reach all the pedals with your foot, so that choice makes perfect sense to me.

I gave very serious consideration to getting a G2 for its ability to easily change pedal order - I don’t play out so didn’t need to step through set list presets, etc. I think it looks ideal for that, and not having to dive through menus.

But then I thought, “When was the last time I changed pedal order?” And I couldn’t remember. So I figured I didn’t need it. Still, it’s the coolest idea ever for someone who’d take advantage of those great features.

So...what pedals are you planning to put on your board? Did Martyn send you a proposed board layout? Spill, man!
I know what you mean. I never considered pedal order changes either until I started binge-watching "That Pedal Show" on YouTube. Dan and Mick are the real deal. If you haven't watched it, check out the episode about pedal order.

I never realized how different your sound could really be by switching it. I never considered changing it up because in the analog world, it's a pain in the ass. But with the G2, it's as simple as pushing a button. Also, when a pedal is not in use in a G2 patch, it is removed from the chain, so G2 runs each patch as efficiently as possible. I've been reorganizing my pedals quite a bit recently, but I grabbed a few new ones to put on the new board. I'll likely change it a few times, but here's what I'm planning so far in default order:

Dunlop WAH (outside board)
---> into Gigrig G2
1. Thorpy Fallout Cloud (FUZZ)
2. Strymon Mobius (MIDI)
3. Strymon Sunset Dual Overdrive (MIDI)
4. T-Rex Danish Mudhoney
5. Xotic RC Booster Scott Henderson Model
6. EHX POG Nano
---> INTO AMP INPUT
---> EFFECTS SEND OUT--->
7. Sound Source MIDI EQ (MIDI)
8. Pettyjohn Crush/Wampler EGO
9. Strymon Timeline (MIDI)
9.5. (Strymon Mobius for Vibe/tremelo presets)
10. Strymon Big Sky (MIDI)
---> EFFECTS RETURN IN
11. EHX Vocoder (separate control via splitter)

The Selah Effects Quartz V3 MIDI stack pedal will sit right alongside the G2 for additional MIDI control. SICK.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I never considered pedal order changes either until I started binge-watching "That Pedal Show" on YouTube. Dan and Mick are the real deal. If you haven't watched it, check out the episode about pedal order.

I never realized how different your sound could really be by switching it. I never considered changing it up because in the analog world, it's a pain in the ass. But with the G2, it's as simple as pushing a button. Also, when a pedal is not in use in a G2 patch, it is removed from the chain, so G2 runs each patch as efficiently as possible. I've been reorganizing my pedals quite a bit recently, but I grabbed a few new ones to put on the new board. I'll likely change it a few times, but here's what I'm planning so far in default order:

Dunlop WAH (outside board)
---> into Gigrig G2
1. Thorpy Fallout Cloud (FUZZ)
2. Strymon Mobius (MIDI)
3. Strymon Sunset Dual Overdrive (MIDI)
4. T-Rex Danish Mudhoney
5. Xotic RC Booster Scott Henderson Model
6. EHX POG Nano
---> INTO AMP INPUT
---> EFFECTS SEND OUT--->
7. Sound Source MIDI EQ (MIDI)
8. Pettyjohn Crush/Wampler EGO
9. Strymon Timeline (MIDI)
9.5. (Strymon Mobius for Vibe/tremelo presets)
10. Strymon Big Sky (MIDI)
---> EFFECTS RETURN IN
11. EHX Vocoder (separate control via splitter)

The Selah Effects Quartz V3 MIDI stack pedal will sit right alongside the G2 for additional MIDI control. SICK.

Nice pedal set!

Oh, I never miss That Pedal Show! And I remember that episode well: it got me thinking about getting a programmable switcher like the G2, too.

But we’re all different.

I like my effects chain, as-is; the pedal order’s the result of a lifetime of goofy experimentation. I wouldn’t take advantage of that feature. A G2’s highest and best use in my case would simply be to take the pedals I’m not using out of the signal path; I’d guess that’d improve tone a bit, but my board is dead quiet and the first pedal in my chain is a really good Pettyjohn buffer/preamp.

Also there was the issue of the G2 and additional cabling adding significantly to the weight of the board. So there would’ve had to be a real need in order for me to wrangle that heavier rig, even in my little studio!

In my studio I’ve had a lot of stuff with features that were hella cool but I didn’t use, so I nixed the idea.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting some kind of G2 or switcher really just to make it easier to switch between a fuzz sound and back. sometimes I like to go from an overdrive to a fuzz and doing so requires I switch off my compressor and overdrive so they don't overcompress and take away from the fuzz. ...maybe a clean boost as well after the fuzz to push the amp a bit. One of these loop/switchers for part of the signal chain would really cut down on some of the tap dancing but the delay and modulation would stay in the chain so I don't have to rely on several banks of patches to call up sounds during long jams.

I was thinking about getting some kind of G2 or switcher really just to make it easier to switch between a fuzz sound and back. sometimes I like to go from an overdrive to a fuzz and doing so requires I switch off my compressor and overdrive so they don't overcompress and take away from the fuzz. ...maybe a clean boost as well after the fuzz to push the amp a bit. One of these loop/switchers for part of the signal chain would really cut down on some of the tap dancing but the delay and modulation would stay in the chain so I don't have to rely on several banks of patches to call up sounds during long jams.
That's the whole point of the G2. Single tap to make global changes to whatever you want on your board.

Nice pedal set!

Oh, I never miss That Pedal Show! And I remember that episode well: it got me thinking about getting a programmable switcher like the G2, too.

But we’re all different.

I like my effects chain, as-is; the pedal order’s the result of a lifetime of goofy experimentation. I wouldn’t take advantage of that feature. A G2’s highest and best use in my case would simply be to take the pedals I’m not using out of the signal path; I’d guess that’d improve tone a bit, but my board is dead quiet and the first pedal in my chain is a really good Pettyjohn buffer/preamp.

Also there was the issue of the G2 and additional cabling adding significantly to the weight of the board. So there would’ve had to be a real need in order for me to wrangle that heavier rig, even in my little studio!

In my studio I’ve had a lot of stuff with features that were hella cool but I didn’t use, so I nixed the idea.
Nice, man.

That's the whole point of the G2. Single tap to make global changes to whatever you want on your board.

Yeah I know but if you plug in all the pedals then you need to have a lot of patches to cover when you want a boost then full OD, then add in delay, then add an octave, etc... I haven't set up or used one of these G2's yet but it seems to me creating a patch for every possible sound I may want would get unruly and difficult to manage as you switch through banks and try to remember which pre-set on which bank has which sound.

...i'm not giving any advise since I don't know what i'm doing. (I've gone from 3 pedals to 9 including a looper pedal) I guess I'm asking... My band does a lot of jamming we don't play many set songs where i'm trying to re-produce a specific sound so I need flexibility to change tones or add effects to match the direction the band goes. Does it make sense to add only the OD, compressor and fuzz to the switcher (would allow me to built from a light OD to stacked OD's and then to Fuzz with single switch and then back to clean or light OD) and go out from the G2 to the delay and modulation effects and then into the amp? (my amps don't have effect loops so all going into the front.) there'd still be a little tap dancing with the effects but it seems easier for my simple brain to process "kick in some slapback", "now kick in some Chrous" instead of go to bank 2 preset 4, now back 4 preset 2.

...I do like the ideal of changing the pedal order from one pre-set to another.

I never understood why people didn't consider the effect that pedal order has. Of course if you put your Reverb in first for example, you are adding reverb to a 'clean' tone and that will then be affected by whatever pedal comes next in the chain but if its at the end, its taking your 'shaped' sound and just adding reverb to that. If your want your reverb distorted, overdriven, delayed or what ever pedal you have after that, then fair enough but generally, you want to take your 'final' tone and add reverb to that - hence it often goes at the end of the chain.

It really comes down to what you want - whether you want to overdrive your fuzz sound or fuzz your overdriven tone add chorus to a distorted tone or distort the effects of the chorus for example - the results are different so pedal order matters but you can use that to create interesting tones - not saying better/worse, right/wrong tones.

You are taking a 'clean' sound from the guitar and then the first pedal affects that tone, the next will affect the tone coming into it from the previous pedal and so on down the line so if you want to take a clean sound with chorus and distort that, you put the Distortion after the chorus but if you want to add chorus to an Distorted tone, the chorus must come after the distortion. To me its common sense

Yeah I know but if you plug in all the pedals then you need to have a lot of patches to cover when you want a boost then full OD, then add in delay, then add an octave, etc... I haven't set up or used one of these G2's yet but it seems to me creating a patch for every possible sound I may want would get unruly and difficult to manage as you switch through banks and try to remember which pre-set on which bank has which sound.

...i'm not giving any advise since I don't know what i'm doing. (I've gone from 3 pedals to 9 including a looper pedal) I guess I'm asking... My band does a lot of jamming we don't play many set songs where i'm trying to re-produce a specific sound so I need flexibility to change tones or add effects to match the direction the band goes. Does it make sense to add only the OD, compressor and fuzz to the switcher (would allow me to built from a light OD to stacked OD's and then to Fuzz with single switch and then back to clean or light OD) and go out from the G2 to the delay and modulation effects and then into the amp? (my amps don't have effect loops so all going into the front.) there'd still be a little tap dancing with the effects but it seems easier for my simple brain to process "kick in some slapback", "now kick in some Chrous" instead of go to bank 2 preset 4, now back 4 preset 2.

...I do like the ideal of changing the pedal order from one pre-set to another.
Sounds like "Stompbox Mode" is in your wheelhouse. You can operate your pedals individually if you like also. The G2 just puts all the buttons in front of you.

Sounds like "Stompbox Mode" is in your wheelhouse. You can operate your pedals individually if you like also. The G2 just puts all the buttons in front of you.
okay that seems like how I'd want to do it. Maybe I'll pick up one of those cheap Joyo ones first to test it out how the looping system might work for me???
By the way, sick pedal board. Cant wait to see some pics all loaded up.

Back