Show your pedal boards here!

Oh, it’s never a matter of need, and always a matter of want with guitar gear, right?

I dont know. I've decided that, in terms of guitars and accessories, I cant distinguish between NEED and WANT. Therefore, I really do need a new PRS guitar. I need it. I need a new pedal too. What can I say. I'm needy.

Sooooo... Within 24 hours of posting a pic of my awesomely color coded pedal board (lol) I've decided to change my board. I'm gonna put a transparent OD and a baby wah on that bad boy. I've got an 8 pedal limit so if I need another pedal then something will have to hit the road...

What is the best method of sharing images in the forums? I have a pic of my pedal board.

What is the best method of sharing images in the forums? I have a pic of my pedal board.

It has to be through a photo hosting site like Flickr or Imgur. You upload your pics there, and then you can share them here. You can either grab the BBCode (imgur has a button for this) and then insert in your post with the Image button on the tool bar. You can also just click in your pic and "copy" then click in your post and "paste"

Ok, so I’m gonna totally open myself up to all sorts of enabling from you guys. My last pedal board was in the late 80’s - early 90’s when we had a limited choice, mostly Boss. It’s such a minefield now and there’s such a choice.

I’d like to keep it simple.

I get a good overdrive sounds through the little Mesa I have.

Kind of thinking maybe fuzz/OD, boost, delay and chorus. Used to like wah too.

I have a small multi effects, non foot switchable, so fine if you don’t want to change during a song, however we all know that don’t cut it in the real world!

Be gentle please. This is the first advice I’ve asked for.

Yours

Aging dude with limited knowledge of the current pedals market.

PS

@bodia benhave!! Haha (like that’s ever gonna happen).

I know you’re gonna give it to me with both barrels.

Ok, so I’m gonna totally open myself up to all sorts of enabling from you guys. My last pedal board was in the late 80’s - early 90’s when we had a limited choice, mostly Boss. It’s such a minefield now and there’s such a choice.

I have a small multi effects, non foot switchable, so fine if you don’t want to change during a song, however we all know that don’t cut it in the real world!

Yours

PS

I'll be good, seriously, I will.

There is SO much available today it's almost ridiculous! Back in the day (80s) you had basically, 2 choices....Boss or DOD. My recommendation would be to decide on what type of pedals you want (OD, Fuzz, Chorus, etc) and focus on one search at a time. Find a couple of reviewers that you like, and watch a lot of videos from them. I like Pete Thorn and Brett Kingman. That Pedal Show is highly recommended as well. I'm not sure why, but I haven't watched much of them. I need to correct that. Brett is in Australia and seems to do a lot of boutique pedal reviews, which is part of what I like about him.

You can also get some great advice here. DTR turned me onto the Barber Gain Changer. Les got me hooked on the Suhr Koko Boost, JFB hooked me up with the Xotic Soul Driven, and the list goes on.

Fuzz/OD - Wampler just released the Tummus Deluxe. Pete Thorn posted a cool review last week. I just bought a Source Audio Nemesis delay and Strymon Blue Sky Reverb. I went the used route to save some coin. Both are incoming.

Have fun!

I'll be good, seriously, I will.

There is SO much available today it's almost ridiculous! Back in the day (80s) you had basically, 2 choices....Boss or DOD. My recommendation would be to decide on what type of pedals you want (OD, Fuzz, Chorus, etc) and focus on one search at a time. Find a couple of reviewers that you like, and watch a lot of videos from them. I like Pete Thorn and Brett Kingman. That Pedal Show is highly recommended as well. I'm not sure why, but I haven't watched much of them. I need to correct that. Brett is in Australia and seems to do a lot of boutique pedal reviews, which is part of what I like about him.

You can also get some great advice here. DTR turned me onto the Barber Gain Changer. Les got me hooked on the Suhr Koko Boost, JFB hooked me up with the Xotic Soul Driven, and the list goes on.

Fuzz/OD - Wampler just released the Tummus Deluxe. Pete Thorn posted a cool review last week. I just bought a Source Audio Nemesis delay and Strymon Blue Sky Reverb. I went the used route to save some coin. Both are incoming.

Have fun!
Thanks @bodia I appreciate the reply, as you can imagine I feel a bit out of my depth, if I didn’t say that already.

I watch Andertons TV and they review about a zillion pedals, all sound great. Guess I need to watch some reviews and do some thinking.

They used a cool boost pedal, some time ago and even on a clean channel, it just seemed to lift the sound. Obvious I know, but if you didn’t hear the original amp signal, the boost pedal made it “10 top” sound.

I’m gonna look at your suggestions and I’ll report back.

I’m really liking channel 2 (lead) on my Mesa at the moment. If I could boost that for solo work and keep the same sound that would be cool.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/138747712@N03/Z9068P
This is the board my kids and I use. With the Katana, it might change up.
Well, you'll at least need to keep the tuner and looper.

I have those on my board with the GA-FC & EV-5 for the Katana. Then a couple different dirt pedals for the heck of it, a compressor in case I want that in front of anything else, and a Spark boost in the loop b/c they are cheap.

That Double Rock gives me a boost and distortion. I have a few other TC pedals on standby; Sub n up octave, Hyper Gravity compressor, Mimiq Doubler. I might get rid of the Phase because it is unnecessarily large and complicated.

Thanks @bodia I appreciate the reply, as you can imagine I feel a bit out of my depth, if I didn’t say that already.

I watch Andertons TV and they review about a zillion pedals, all sound great. Guess I need to watch some reviews and do some thinking.

They used a cool boost pedal, some time ago and even on a clean channel, it just seemed to lift the sound. Obvious I know, but if you didn’t hear the original amp signal, the boost pedal made it “10 top” sound.

I’m gonna look at your suggestions and I’ll report back.

I’m really liking channel 2 (lead) on my Mesa at the moment. If I could boost that for solo work and keep the same sound that would be cool.

If you're looking at boosts, make sure you check out the Suhr Kokoboost. It has the ability to be an "always on" pedal. It has some serious mojo going on.

Good to see some awesome pedalboards posted her recently, folks!

I did a minor upgrade to my "tiny" board this week.

It had looked like this:

jIKgwVS.jpg

It now looks like this:

qblmZeb.jpg

Dvvz22Z.jpg

The Joyo Clean Glass will be swapped out for an Orange Juice shortly (still in the mail), and the Clean Glass will return to another board.

I had been looking at going to a battery-based power supply for a while, and the Volto 2 seemed ideal but was expensive compared with some of the DIY solutions folks have implemented over on TGP etc. But the Volto 2 went on sale recently for a price that made it worthwhile, so I snagged it.

I had also been a little annoyed, I suppose, at that Planet Waves Tuner - not as responsive as I liked for tuning - it got the job done, but the spinning indication is different from all my other tuners, and it was big and bulky (but free, came with some other pedal purchase).

I also missed having some sort of overdrive/dirt on this board - it is intended primarily for acoustic-only gigs, where I would play an acoustic guitar, mando, banjo, etc, and the board goes straight into the PA. With the tuner downsized, I could squeeze on another micro pedal. But I didn't want to put in a dirt pedal without any amp simulation - that sounds all fizzy and weird, to me. So I realized the Joyo amp sim pedals fit the bill nicely - as many of you may recall, I use one (the Clean Glass) on my main gigging rig when I need a dirt and acoustic sound combo (we play a lot of acoustic-based stuff, with me doing elec sounds, including leads, as required).

This new tiny board sounds pretty good through my acoustic amp (representing a PA). And the battery means I'll be able to use it at festivals with 30 min slots where there is no time to be finding a power outlet near my designated microphone. Normally for festivals I play just acoustic instruments direct in, which means two or three DIs occupied depending on number of instruments. Now I can use just one DI, and swap by using the tuner or wireless to mute the system while I swap. I'll just walk out with my wireless on my hip, instruments on a triple stand in one hand, board in the other hand. Put down instruments, plug board into DI, strap on a guitar and plug it into wireless, and away I will go!

Apparently the battery should last 16 to 20 hours of typical use. I will be testing that out over the next couple of weeks around the house or at practice - no gigs until end of December, yay, a break finally!

Yours

PS

@bodia 's advice is sound. But here is a quick tip: Boss still makes awesome pedals. You don't need to go all boutique to get the sound you want. I started out with a bunch of Boss pedals, because like you there was little choice in the 80s. I now have a bunch of non-Boss pedals, which are great! But the Boss ones are still quite capable - I tend to use Boss for basic tones/effects, and then go to other brands when I'm looking for something a little different. Or, in the case of my tiny board above, when I need to go for specific size requirements: an equivalent Boss board would be twice the size.

If you go to The Gear Page (TGP), you will find far too much info about pedals. Pedals that are the darlings of the week (to be given the cold should next week), politics over certain pedal makers, arguments over buffers vs bypass, The Klon Wars, etc. But...there is some useful info there, and certainly lots of enthusiasm for pedals.

Back