Show your pedal boards here!

I ordered their Van den Hul The Bay interconnects, and specified which plugs I wanted, lengths, etc.
Never heard of that. Might have to look into it. I realized in my haste I ignored the proper instructions, so I’ll be repairing every cable end before going that route. Might have to preheat with some Louisiana hot links.

Nothing too complicated, although I could use a bigger board.

I7uMA1Y.jpg

I finally found time to give a pedal board a go. I've got hair and ground loops to work out, but here's my current setup. Power is from a Voodoo Labs 4x4 underneath.

IMG_0184.jpg

This project has made me realize several things:

1) I want a GigRig G2.
2) I suck at making cables.
3) I really suck at making cables.
4) I need another PRS guitar.
5) I need a PRS amp.
6) Sausage.
7) Ditka.

Enjoy.
What cables are you using?
I’ve used the lava solderless connectors,
Great sound quality but they are a PITA to make.
A local (to me) pedal shop that builds boards recommended disaster area cables and connects, which is what they use in their builds.
So much easier to make.

What cables are you using?
I’ve used the lava solderless connectors,
Great sound quality but they are a PITA to make.
A local (to me) pedal shop that builds boards recommended disaster area cables and connects, which is what they use in their builds.
So much easier to make.
I bought a few sets of Lava solder-free cable to try. So far I've only made mediocre cables, but that's because of operator error. Like anything, I'll improve with age, but I'd like to check the disaster area cables out. Thanks for the recommendation.

EDIT: I noticed similar set-screw cables having users complain of set-screw unwinding. Maybe some surgical use of Loctite would fix that.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the TC50?
I picked one up recently.

I like it a lot.

I recently picked up a gig playing lead in a bar band that's covering a lot of 60s-70s-90s material. I needed something that would give me clean, crunch and lead with the ability to punch solos out of the mix. I normally play through Rectifiers, but with two channels and no solo boost I had to dedicate an entire channel just to soloing, leaving me with one channel for clean-to-crunch using my guitar's volume. Not a big deal, but not ideal either since it means I have no option of a high gain rhythm sound. Plus, with this band playing a 100w Rectifier kind of felt like I was trying to use a sledgehammer to drive in a finishing nail.

The TC-50's been great. I pretty much dialled in the "instant gratification" settings from the manual and tweaked them a bit to my taste. I like that it has a natural progression between the three channels, so each time I change channels it feels like I'm kicking the same amp up a notch instead of changing to a totally different sound. With the solo control I can get it to sit down in the mix or pop up above the mix, and with the FX loop control I can leave my delay pedal sitting on my amp with a couple of 1 foot patch cords instead of running another 40 feet of cable.

I found a spot on the gain around 1:00 on channels 2 and 3 that I really like. If you sweep between 12:00 and 2:00 while playing you can hear the preamp amp start to saturate and get sizzly. I find that spot and back it off just a hair. It gives me maximum crunch and compression without sizzle... but, if I really dig in it'll put a touch of sizzle on the attack before smoothing out. Setting it up this way sometimes feels a little under-gained when playing alone, but in a mix is sounds primo and it allows the character of different guitars to stand out. I've stopped using an overdrive because the amp does it on it's own, and if I need the mid boosted sound I flick the tight switch on.

All that said, the thing that really sold me on this amp was that when demoing it I didn't feel pigeon-holed or constrained by the amp. Everything I threw at it I could dial it in for, from classic rock to modern metal. I wasn't stuck with a vintage amp that farted out when I tried to do modern, and I wasn't stuck with a modern amp that felt stiff and sterile when I tried to do vintage.

I also like this one:

I have it hooked up to my Boogie 5:35 head and a Rivera 4x12 V30 cab. Some killer tones. I especially like the Neal Schon setting with the delay and reverb backed off quite a bit.

That thing is evil. Haven't located one to demo yet but seeing its potential is making me reconsider the amp upgrade I was planning on (MkIV > MkV). In a perfect world there would be nothing but tube amps anyway, but as an apartment player these days the utility is undeniable (and in my current situation, going this route frees up budget space for an increasingly needed second core PRS...). The tweakable looper functions and on-the-fly EXP adjustments sure are spiffy too.

Ugh, my brain hurts.

That thing is evil. Haven't located one to demo yet but seeing its potential is making me reconsider the amp upgrade I was planning on (MkIV > MkV). In a perfect world there would be nothing but tube amps anyway, but as an apartment player these days the utility is undeniable (and in my current situation, going this route frees up budget space for an increasingly needed second core PRS...). The tweakable looper functions and on-the-fly EXP adjustments sure are spiffy too.

Ugh, my brain hurts.

I saw it at Summer NAMM. it was demoed in their booth and they had an incredible promo offer. Neither Chris R or I could resist. It’s pretty cool from its killer tones to its touch and drag window. Even an idiot like me can tweet the presets to dial in our tones and add effects.

Heres my basic little (but color coordinated) pedal board. It has everything I need at the moment and fits EVERYWHERE:

WKD1ybb.jpg

I might need a wah in the future but I will need more real estate then.

Color coordination is hugely important on a pedalboard, right?

Yup. Totally.

Criteria:
1) Does the pedal do what I need it to do? Check
2) Is the pedal awesome?
Check
3) Can the pedal fit on my board?
Check
4) Will the pedal's color conflict with my red and grey color scheme (which even includes red and grey cabling)?
Check

Yup. Totally.

Criteria:
1) Does the pedal do what I need it to do? Check
2) Is the pedal awesome?
Check
3) Can the pedal fit on my board?
Check
4) Will the pedal's color conflict with my red and grey color scheme (which even includes red and grey cabling)?
Check

I'm being proactive by looking for a red wah pedal. You know, for the larger future red and grey pedal board.

Back