Show Your EG...

ooglybong

PRSes aplenty!
script>
In light of all the recent interest in the "Sweet Little EG-3 (Incoming)" thread, I've been encouraged to start a new thread for these great guitars and post photos of my own EG. Here goes.

Back-story: Bought back in 1999 at a local guitar show, and believe it or not, on my way out out of the house, my wife grinned and asked me "OK... what are you looking for?" (My wife is way too supportive of me and guitars!) My answer was: "Really nothing... just looking..." (I meant it, but still, lol.) "But if you DID see something, what would it be?" Well, I thought for a second and said that I'd just love another chance to find one of those nice EG-3s I'd sampled back in '93. (By 1999, they were pretty rare to see around here, IME.) And so, off I went.

Well, I walked in the door at the show (it was a huge room) and there was the following guitar, mint, parked not 50 ft from the entrance! Played it for a good while, and it both played and sounded fantastic. (Like, wow!) Now, cue the Outer Limits theme twice when I tell you there was also a second identical white one parked only 100 ft more down the line! Of course, at that point, I played them both, and one was clearly a winner (the other, er, not so much). So what else could I do? I came home that day with this little beauty...

rSDQykh.jpg

cHtiJ3s.jpg

tnmppUq.jpg

PhV7yM3.jpg

Wb1EKtF.jpg

NhsTjD1.jpg

These photos are pretty close to color, and the pearloid pickguard was already a warmer tone than the body back in 1999. It hasn't noticeably changed since that point, either.

There's also an odd discrepancy in the serial number with mine, too; the first digit seems to indicate a 1993 build, but the last four digits indicate more towards the end of 1994. Huh.

Last edited:
Gorgeous axe, ooglybong! My '90 isn't nearly as posh, but I'll try to finally get around to taking some glamour shots this weekend. About time to change the strings anyway, might just pull the pickguard and trem cover off and look for Easter eggs while I'm at it!

Love 'em! Why didn't I pay attention more to PRS in the early '90s??!! (Oh, yeah...babies:rolleyes:)
Same story for me - wife, "real" job, baby etc...............
Love these guitars and until Hans posted his guitar this last week, I had no idea they existed.

Interesting - the pick ups on the white guitar at the top of this thread look quite different
There where 3 models available. One with the HSH like mine, one with the 3 Fralin Domino singlecoils like Hans' en Ooglybongs and one with a humbucker in the bridge and 2 Fralin Domino's.

These are really nice. I remember bein surprised when they came out that they didn't really catch on. They were long gone by the time I had made enough mortgage payments to think of buying one.
But I am pretty happy with the SAS that came my way in 1999.

Fun history. Maybe some here might even remember from back in the day; this page came from the December, 1993 issue of Guitar World.

B4FyOpR.jpg

Somehow, I'd kept this torn-out page in a file folder since '93, but it's been residing inside my EG-3's case compartment ever since I got it in '99.

Last edited:
From https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html

EG BOLT-ON SERIES I: 1990 – 1991. New squarer shape. Alder body, maple neck, 22-fret rosewood fretboard. EG3 s/s/s and EG4 s/s/h, scratchplate mounted pickups. Volume, twin tones, 5-way selector, PRS tremolo, Schaller non-locking tuners.

EG BOLT-ON SERIES II: 1992 - 1995. Rounder shape. Alder body, wide thin maple neck, 22-fret rosewood fretboard. Scratchplate mounted pickups in three formats, h/s/h, s/s/h, s/s/s, volume, tone, 5-way selector, coil taps, PRS tremolo, locking machines. EG bolt-on maple top adds three piece maple, ‘10’ option.

so mine Is an EG series II EG II

Still trying to find my copy of an o9ld guitar mag that has reviews of the Series II's

If I find it I'll scan it and post accordingly.

Think that it was a UK mag.

IIRC the bodies were carved by Excel, the same folks who make the PRS trem now.
That I didn't know. Thanx. The sales rep ( eg distributor) over here told me they were to expensive to make. Therefore they supposedly couldn't be offered at a compettitive pricepoint . That was one major reason the line was dropped..

Back