Show us your Santanas!

What’s a 2008 Santana MD? It states MD on the hang tag.... thanks!

The MD stands for Multi Dimensional. There’s a mini toggle that you use to initiate a 60s Strat style tone. Not sure, but it may also put the pick ups out of phase. Additionally, the control layout is more like the traditional PRS layout with the volume knob close to the bridge pickup.

The MD stands for Multi Dimensional. There’s a mini toggle that you use to initiate a 60s Strat style tone. Not sure, but it may also put the pick ups out of phase. Additionally, the control layout is more like the traditional PRS layout with the volume knob close to the bridge pickup.

Thank you, sir! Now that I look at the pics more closely... it jumps out. ;)

Plan on picking one of those up someday..... So many guitars, so little time

Juju
CK_845Top.jpeg

Brand new member here. As I just got my first PRS, I thought I should join up and try to learn something. As you can see from the pic, I may have a slight GAS problem, but as a chronic CL/Reverb/eBay guitar cruiser, I just couldn't pass this up when it popped up on my local craigslist for a really low price. I thought I knew what it was, but as I've been researching, I'm finding there are lots of Santana iterations, and I'm not sure exactly what this is.

I know it's from 2012, and it's not a I or a III, so I guess it's a II because it has the abalone inlays on the top, but some details, like the TRC and knob placement look different than most all of the II's I see online and on this site. Initially I panicked and thought I had bought a counterfeit, but I've calmed down now and am pretty confident this is legit, the seller just really needed some fast cash.

So I'm wondering if you kind folks can enlighten me as to exactly which model this is.
The TRC is plain black with what looks like a silkscreened Om. Nearly all I see online are multilayered B/W/B engraved plastic. Is that plain black one legit?
Also the wider spaced controls seem to mostly be on guitars labeled "Santana Signature" rather than "Santana II". Is this an actual model difference?
Online it says the Santana II's fingerboards are ebony, and this one is definitely rosewood, and I'm pretty sure it's Indian and not Brazilian. Was that changed in the 2010's?

I should also say this is a REALLY nice guitar. The balance is perfect, the neck size is also perfect for me. I took it to band practice last night and...it's just a great playing guitar and it sounds terrific. Pretty psyched about this!

Thanks for any help you can give me.
2012-Santana.jpg

Brand new member here. As I just got my first PRS, I thought I should join up and try to learn something. As you can see from the pic, I may have a slight GAS problem, but as a chronic CL/Reverb/eBay guitar cruiser, I just couldn't pass this up when it popped up on my local craigslist for a really low price. I thought I knew what it was, but as I've been researching, I'm finding there are lots of Santana iterations, and I'm not sure exactly what this is.

I know it's from 2012, and it's not a I or a III, so I guess it's a II because it has the abalone inlays on the top, but some details, like the TRC and knob placement look different than most all of the II's I see online and on this site. Initially I panicked and thought I had bought a counterfeit, but I've calmed down now and am pretty confident this is legit, the seller just really needed some fast cash.

So I'm wondering if you kind folks can enlighten me as to exactly which model this is.
The TRC is plain black with what looks like a silkscreened Om. Nearly all I see online are multilayered B/W/B engraved plastic. Is that plain black one legit?
Also the wider spaced controls seem to mostly be on guitars labeled "Santana Signature" rather than "Santana II". Is this an actual model difference?
Online it says the Santana II's fingerboards are ebony, and this one is definitely rosewood, and I'm pretty sure it's Indian and not Brazilian. Was that changed in the 2010's?

I should also say this is a REALLY nice guitar. The balance is perfect, the neck size is also perfect for me. I took it to band practice last night and...it's just a great playing guitar and it sounds terrific. Pretty psyched about this!

2012-Santana.jpg

Yeah, everything on it looks legit. They tinkered with the formula for the 25th anniversary models and kept the features like the different knob placement for a few years. I think it’s just referred to as a “signature” Santana.

2012-Santana.jpg
Nice one! Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

2012-Santana.jpg

The best way to know exactly what this guitar is, is to use the MODCAT decoder in this specific catagory on the forum. Right up top. Look under the pickups for the manufacturing barcode label. It's a breeze to figure it out.

That MODCAT decoder is awesome! What a great tool! Thanks SOOOO much you guys! Not knowing little details like this drives me nuts, so thanks for contributing to my mental stability :)

Model: Santana 2
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 24
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Non-Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Santana
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: 2011 Birds
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Solana Burst
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: Santana Covered
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: Santana Covered
Electronics: Santana
20200108-164639.jpg

Yeah, everything on it looks legit. They tinkered with the formula for the 25th anniversary models and kept the features like the different knob placement for a few years. I think it’s just referred to as a “signature” Santana.
I have pretty well the same configuration, same year, and as far as I could tell, it is indeed what was called the "Santana Signature" model. Not a Santana II, despite what the MODCAT says for yours, because Santana IIs are defined as the following (from PRS Model History page):

SANTANA II: 1999 - 2007. Specs similar to Carlos Santana Model, but features 3-way toggle, volume and tone, artist grade woods, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard and headstock overlay, eagle inlayed on headstock.​

So our guitars are "too new" to be Santana IIs, don't have Brazzy boards, and have slightly different (more traditional) control locations.

(I will also note mine came with EVH Wolfgang pickups, installed by a previous owner.)

Here's mine:

Beme8xs.jpg

Back