Show us your PRS McCarty, thread

So this here's a McCarty 'cause PRS calls it one and Kingsley gave me permission:

Okay, since posting a "McCarty Singlecut" seems to be okay here, here's mine! ;)

20140816_115202.jpg

One day old for me, and has totally blown my mind with the awesome tones that come out of this thing. In 36 hours since arrival, this guitar has changed a lot of things about how I think of tone, guitars and guitar playing.

Exciting for me, as I fell out of guitar playing for a while, and with this guitar, I am back in a big way. Two new amps coming in this week, and going to start back up with lessons and a regular playing and practicing weekly routine...

One day old for me, and has totally blown my mind with the awesome tones that come out of this thing. In 36 hours since arrival, this guitar has changed a lot of things about how I think of tone, guitars and guitar playing.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm reworking my pedalboard and other parts of my rig to best serve this thing, too. ;)

Funny how one piece of gear can change the whole outlook.

By the way, the HXDA is incredible with this guitar. Not just good.

If you are going to own a McCarty, you may we as do it right. :top:

The first is a 25th Anniversary 10 Top

McCartyNF10top_1736.jpg

This next one is a McRosie BLE which I need to get better pictures of.

PRSbrazilianMcCarty_1669.jpg

Wow, you guys have really posted some 'beauts ! posted this before but ...

My turn !

Dax8lGx.jpg

My 2002, 10 top, completely stock on the left and my Cu24 with McCarty guts but VB/HFS pups !

qctVDiE.jpg

YdIV1i0.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to give myself permission for this one. Ted McCarty, for whom the McCarty series was named, presided over and had much to do with the design and manufacture of these two archetypal guitars. Which Paul happily describes as his "teachers."

So here's one for Ted. AND for Jim (and Ken) whose legacies are standing behind Ted's guitars. You HXDA folks (and you know who you are :hello:) ought to hear these two amps... :cool:

Gibson%20Marshall%20dream.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and back OT, here are a couple of very recent guitars whose genetic roots are 100% in the McCarty series. And which, I must admit, get FAR more play time than the two pictured above. (though not necessarily through either of these amps!)

PSs%20and%20Marshalls.jpg

Last edited:
One of these days ... ES-335 ... I had a 339 but the string tension was too crazy ... no matter what gauge

How do you get 'em to dangle at an angle like that, Kingsley? ;)

They dangle straight. The CAMERA is at an angle. ;-)

It's a trick I learned from the person who shot David Grissom's guitars for his old website. Allows you to get a full guitar shot in a normal frame with more guitar and less wasted background space. It's a little disorienting at first but you get used to it if you see a whole set of guitar photos shot that way, such as on a website page devoted to someone's guitar collection.

Hmmm... ...now there's an idea...

I posted this photo in my NGD thread, but I suppose it can show up here too:

IMG_8210LR_1024_zps257f0828.jpg

You HXDA folks (and you know who you are :hello:) ought to hear these two amps... :cool:

Hey, I know who I are! ;)

I've played LOTS of those two amps. I played them back in the day, when they were new, and played and recorded old, well maintained ones in high end studios for many long projects over the past 23 years.

I've recorded the hell out of them. I know exactly what they do and exactly how they sound.

Your post tells me you don't really understand how good an HXDA is.

So you need to spend some quality time - and I don't mean just a few lousy minutes, or one crappy day, I mean quality time - with an HXDA to truly understand what it does. No BS, no fanboy stuff. They're that good.

There's a reason Warren Haynes plays one when he can play anything he wants. And while I don't equate myself to that guy, I've been around a long time in recording-land and can have any amp I want. So I picked the HXDA.

There are things I will concede your expertise on. Guitars? Sure. Not amps and audio. Nope.

Not when I know my amp audio every bit as well as you think you do. Not when I go back longer than you and have eons more studio recording experience. Sorry. Les knows amp tone. ;)

You can play what you want, and you can think it's the best ever, but I've been around too long to let you pee on my shoe and tell me it's raining.

They dangle straight. The CAMERA is at an angle. ;-)

Yeah...um...I guess you didn't get the joke.

Last edited:
I knew that would get a rise out of you, Les! ;)

In this case, actually, I'm quite sure you're right. Even a few quality minutes with an HXDA was sufficient to tell me that if that kinda amp sound was my bread-and-butter (which it most definitely isn't) I'd take it over the two Marshalls in a heartbeat. I came pretty close to buying that amp, but I realized that it wasn't worth it if I wasn't going to travel down that sonic road in a serious way. I mean, the Marshalls are fun to have in a historic sort of way, and every so often I crank them and make "that sound," but I never gig 'em, and the only Marshall I've ever recorded with is my little 18-watt reissue. (which has a nice vintage 20-watt Greenback in it)

The HXDA was certainly the first PRS amp I played that I really liked.

Yeah...um...I guess you didn't get the joke.

That was my way of saying "I didn't think it was that funny." ;)

Last edited:
Tried an HxdA a while back and my only issue was headroom which for my type of music is an absolute, I needed a very airy amp and it was just not the right rig for me ... Went with a Reeves combo with additional 2 x 12 which was like a heavy duty version of Hiwatts ... very vintage spec.

ozPNj25.jpg

Tried an HxdA a while back and my only issue was headroom which for my type of music is an absolute, I needed a very airy amp and it was just not the right rig for me ... Went with a Reeves combo with additional 2 x 12 which was like a heavy duty version of Hiwatts ... very vintage spec.

The HXDA is great for what it does, but discovered, it's not designed for lots of headroom. When I need that, I use the DG30. Roll the gain back below noon, crank the Master volume, and I have enough headroom for anything I need (YMMV and all the usual disclaimers).

The Reeves are nice amps.

Back