Show us your JA-15s!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Clashcityrocker, Jan 13, 2020.

1. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Just played this chord - Interesting sound! Now I have to listen to Purple Rain. I just typed the fingering into oolimo.com - it came back with Ebm(b9#11)

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  2. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I played in a tux at my wedding. My wife played in her wedding gown. It was long enough ago that we have printed pics, maybe a year or two before digital really started to take over.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  3. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Gold jacket and a black bow tie with a big band (mostly 20s, the previous 20s swing).
    Most of the pit bands I played in, including the Ice Capades, which was a bit odd because if I recall correctly, we were in the penalty box.
    But that was back when people still wore suits to work.

4. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

No pants then? ;)

Very freeing!

bodia likes this.
  5. veinbuster

Very few people here have seen me in pants.

CVS, [email protected] and bodia like this.
  6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Giggle

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

That’s true!

CVS and Alnus Rubra like this.
  8. veinbuster

I think I remember seeing one in a shop in Savannah.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  9. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Yes come to think of it, shorts seem to be your go to lower clothing in most of your photos.

veinbuster likes this.
  10. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

I recently played a small private outdoor festival with a suit jacket over a t-shirt. That was an unexpectedly cold and damp day, and my hands were not terribly happy.

If it was cool enough on stage on a regular basis, I'd be down with trying to dress up for the occasion.

I have played with an Irish-style / paperboy style cap to try to be stylish for my Celtic fusion band, but they get warm fast, down here in FL.

I usually wear a t-shirt and jeans, with Connies or other casual footwear. Maybe, for outside festivals, a straw hat or Aussie-style cattleman's hat if the sun is blazing or it is cool enough.

But normally, I am so bl**dy warm, a t-shirt and shorts with sandals is what I would prefer! And sometimes that's what happens...

Alnus Rubra, CVS, bodia and 1 other person like this.
  11. CVS

CVS Not so new member

I am with you on this. I only play about 5-7 gigs a year most are in the afternoon and outside - shorts & T shirt rule....or Hawaiian shirt, if I have to dress up (a smooth jazz kinda gig)

12. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

CVS, bodia and WA Paul like this.
  13. CVS

CVS Not so new member

bodia likes this.
  14. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Anyone here have a Hollowbody II with 57/08's and a JA 15? If yes, is there enough total difference to warrant having both in your stable? This thread has me thinking (maybe too much).....

15. Tosca

Tosca Death by a million mini-toggles...

Yes...and definitely Yes.

bodia, veinbuster and CVS like this.
  16. shinksma

I have a SC HB II with 57/08s and a JA-15 (with the 53/10s).

IMHO/IME, there is indeed a tonal difference. I just played them both clean into an Archon, clean channel, mid-volume levels - no breakup.

While playing I had a hard time hearing the differences, because I was concentrating on playing (duh). So I played into a looper, doing a chord progression/phrase on the SC HB II twice through, leaving equivalent space for another go through, then recording the JA-15 in the space. OK, now I can hear the differences!

The JA-15 is less mid-rangy. Or, if you like, the SC HB II has more mid-range punch, while the JA-15 has more top-end and a bit more low end. The JA-15 was also a bit louder, but I suspect that is because the pups are closer to the strings on the JA-15 (but could be because of the Piezo-Mag mixer inside the HB II).

The JA-15's neck was also just a hair chunkier, even though I thought they both had Pattern (WF) necks. And the JA-15 was a bit heavier - while both are hollowbodies, there is simply more real estate on the JA-15.

Also, the JA-15 has flatwound strings installed, for a slightly jazzier feel when playing.

bodia, veinbuster and CVS like this.
  17. CVS

CVS Not so new member

If I buy a JA 15 - I would do the same as you - flat wound strings (I know that will change the tone) and for the most part - play it with clean settings - maybe a touch of modulation for some of the stuff I do.
    Thanks for the feedback.

veinbuster likes this.
  18. shinksma

Speaking of feedback, it feeds-back with very high gain/volumes, of course, but it is relatively predictable and sounds natural.

I play it a bit dirty too, sort of a blues-jazz tone. It was messing around with a few bluesy chords that got me the basics for one of our off-center songs - a bluesy-jazzy Christmas song, of all things...

CVS and veinbuster like this.