Show us your JA-15s!

Yeah! It’s his rhythm work, comping, and chord fragments that get to me. Dude can take the most boring chord progression and weave it into the most interesting part!
Right on!
FYI - He played one Latin /Brazilian song sitting down with his nylon string guitar - He knows a lot of sophisticated chord voicings & chord melody. I think he studied Earl Klugh at some point based on what I heard. Just awesome. I will go again the next time he plays in the area.

Right on!
FYI - He played one Latin /Brazilian song sitting down with his nylon string guitar - He knows a lot of sophisticated chord voicings & chord melody. I think he studied Earl Klugh at some point based on what I heard. Just awesome. I will go again the next time he plays in the area.

OMG! Dude knows all the voicings, all the genres, and all the everything!!! He’s one of those guys I’ve been listening to, and been inspired by all my life... but didn’t know it was him until the Internet.

OMG! Dude knows all the voicings, all the genres, and all the everything!!! He’s one of those guys I’ve been listening to, and been inspired by all my life... but didn’t know it was him until the Internet.
And I had a chance to talk with him for a few minutes after the show. I never knew he played on a few Steely Dan songs.

While you are mowing his lawn and cleaning his bathroom, I will be working on the fingering for the Bb9b9 chord I saw him play on the nylon string guitar.
OK, so I'm trying to figure out what that would be. Is it this? Or something more exotic?

e |-x-
B |-O-
G |-1-
D |-O-
A |-1-
E |-x-

OK, so I'm trying to figure out what that would be. Is it this? Or something more exotic?

e |-x-
B |-O-
G |-1-
D |-O-
A |-1-
E |-x-
I am in the process of learning the fingering that I am about to share with you. That's what I am playing (or attempting to play at this stage) - I hope I labeled the chord correctly. The chord that comes before it is a Bm9 - 7th fret. The chord that comes after it is an Amaj9 - 5th fret

High E - 7 - the b9 note
B - 5 - the 5th
G - 5 - the 9th
D - 6 - the dom 7th
A - 5 - the 3rd
E - 6 - The root

Paul-Jackson-Jr.322-1.jpg

I am in the process of learning the fingering that I am about to share with you. That's what I am playing (or attempting to play at this stage) - I hope I labeled the chord correctly. The chord that comes before it is a Bm9 - 7th fret. The chord that comes after it is an Amaj9 - 5th fret

High E - 7 - the b9 note
B - 5 - the 5th
G - 5 - the 9th
D - 6 - the dom 7th
A - 5 - the 3rd
E - 6 - The root
Oh, OK. So basically, the overall same chord I illustrated, but transposed down a string (root on E string vs A string) and therefore up 5 frets, but moving the flat 9 to the "e" string (so up an octave from my shape). Cool! I love jazz chords, though I can't play most of them. Tiny hand thick fingers syndrome.

Oh, OK. So basically, the overall same chord I illustrated, but transposed down a string (root on E string vs A string) and therefore up 5 frets, but moving the flat 9 to the "e" string (so up an octave from my shape). Cool! I love jazz chords, though I can't play most of them. Tiny hand thick fingers syndrome.
Give me a month & I will have it down..... (or I will find a way to cheat - I am a master at that, especially if there is a bass player).I have to solo over this beast as well (smile)

The guitar is cool and all, but that hat tho! :cool:

It’s the whole ensemble.

High E - 7 - the b9 note
B - 5 - the 5th
G - 5 - the 9th
D - 6 - the dom 7th
A - 5 - the 3rd
E - 6 - The root

It’s not a PJJ chord. This is what I call the dreamy chord from Purple Rain ☔

High E - 6
B - 7
G - 9
D - 7
A - 6
E muted

Give it a go. Bar (index finger) on 6 and play an extended D shape with 2nd, 3rd, 4th fingers.

Better angle of PJJ and his hat (from his website):

Paul-Jackson-Jr.playing-300x300.jpg

I looked up hat styles, and it appears to be a Homburg hat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homburg_hat

Silver?:

https://nethats.com/products/deluxe...qirQDI5upHrWVXBSKOZD7sRQPrBJcZhYaAsQ2EALw_wcB

Amazon has some options too, including this:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Tuxedo-Godfather-Homburg-Fedora/dp/B01MU7TRSJ
When is the last time any of you played guitar in a suit & tie (a tux would count)? I cannot remember if I ever have .

Back