Show off your 408 thread

Post factory relic job 408 Standard. My defiled virgin.
IMG_1787.jpg
IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1799.jpg
This is hands down my fav of the thread. I'm sure you've all seen the used and "loved nearly to death" white PRS with the all the stickers. That might be my all time fav PRS , though I could never have imagined a PRS looking like that till I saw it with my own eyes. Awsome.

Damn, can't see it, says click for pics but I'm getting squat ?
The post is fairly old, and the poster has removed their content from whatever third-party site they were using.

It's too bad when that happens, but some folks need to clear out storage space, and figure if they uploaded a photo two years ago, they don't mind if any old posts with links don't work any more.

It wouldn't happen if the forum allowed direct upload of photos, they would be here forever, but PRS probably doesn't want to spend all their profits on server storage for the forum!

(Plus, by using a third party site a user can post the same pics to several forums without "consuming" multiple digital footprints of storage.)

I probably can't even imagine how sublime that PS is in person or particularly plugged in ? BUT my uncultured eye's still want "the green one" ?
Although it has an eagle on it, it's not a PS. It's an Experience 408 Semi hollow. Some of the special models built for the PRS experience sport an eagle, but it's a smaller eagle than PS program. It has an ebony fretboard, so the notes just jump off of the fretboad.

This is a hands down my fav of the thread. I'm sure you've all seen the used and "loved nearly to death" white PRS with the all the stickers. That might be my all time fav PRS , though I could never have imagined a PRS looking like that till I saw it with my own eyes. Awsome.
Thanks. Yes, Frankie Clarke's Casper did come to mind when I first saw it, but I made a promise to Frankie that it will never wear the Iron Cross. It hasn't earned it, but I will say the guy who did the relic job was an artist. The damage is tastefully done especially the finish checking.

+1

There's a blacktop one out there that's #1 on my list. Pattern neck, trem, black top with natural back and sides. It's the only one.

Close number 2 is an pattern neck standard in charcoal.
I found this one! It was for sale used at Dave's a year or two ago. Turns out it wasn't black top at all, just a really dark purple. So, as far as I know PRS has never done a black top guitar.

Gotta say, though. The right deal on any standard would probably make me gassy. Especially a dark cherry or that blue metallic color.

Although it has an eagle on it, it's not a PS. It's an Experience 408 Semi hollow. Some of the special models built for the PRS experience sport an eagle, but it's a smaller eagle than PS program.

Thanks. Yes, Frankie Clarke's Casper did come to mind when I first saw it, but I made a promise to Frankie that it will never wear the Iron Cross. It hasn't earned it, but I will say the guy who did the relic job was an artist. The damage is tastefully done especially the finish checking.

Re: Your Semi / Hollowbody 408 with the Eagle on the headstock.....I did not know that, I thought the Swooping Eagle was purely the "Private Stock" / "Custom Shop logo" for PRS.

Re: Whitey. I totally agree it looks absolutely killer (particularly in white) natural and not overdone which can spoil the whole effect.......But Im a big fan of old, well used and even reliced guitars. I would buy your "white battle axe" in an heartbeat, but who in their right mind would sell that ?

Last edited:
Re: Your Semi / Hollowbody 408 with the Eagle on the headstock.....I did not know that, I thought the Swooping Eagle was purely the "Private Stock" / "Custom Shop logo" for PRS.
The swooping eagle can also be found on (most) Santana core models - the normal Santana core like I have, the Santana I & II (but not the III), and the retro-Santana core.

The PS eagles are usually more ornate, of course. I'm quite happy with the "non-PS" one on my Santana. Not to derail this thread, but here is a photo of mine (dead spider on TRC added accessory, not stock :eek:):

20170326_175146_1024_zps3pvfyvmb.jpg

I have an Ibanez Silver Series Stratocaster, my first 'good' electric guitar, that was purchased in 1978 and was my main axe for a decade. It saw lots of abuse, even getting deliberately banged against amp stacks and stage edges, and even with chunks taken out of it never ever got the level of visible 'wear' you see on these reliced guitars.

To each their own I guess, but I just can't fathom spending $2K or more on a guitar that someone in a factory spent time and effort to make it look like crap. lol

To each their own I guess, but I just can't fathom spending $2K or more on a guitar that someone in a factory spent time and effort to make it look like crap. lol

I get this sentiment. Heck, I even agreed with it. Until I found my unicorn. I've had a love/hate relationship with Strats since 1985. Love how they sound, hate how they feel/play. A few months back a fellow forum member turns me on to a builder that makes S type guitars. It ticks all of my boxes, especially the roasted maple neck. The only downside; all they do is varying levels of relic. I go for the mild, and couldn't be happier. I'll gladly say that I could care less what it looks like, but it plays, and feels, like a dream. I'll never buy another Fender (but I'll gladly buy a PRS "strat" if the Mayer comes to pass!). Bottom line, don't write it off based on looks.

I have an Ibanez Silver Series Stratocaster, my first 'good' electric guitar, that was purchased in 1978 and was my main axe for a decade. It saw lots of abuse, even getting deliberately banged against amp stacks and stage edges, and even with chunks taken out of it never ever got the level of visible 'wear' you see on these reliced guitars.

I thought that too at one point along with, "Why do people buy acid washed jeans?" But, then I went on a hunt for a good strat. I was going to get a new one, but every one of them had a freaking sticky neck until I got to the 69 relic which also had the tone as well.

Back