Show Me Your S2 Guitars

All beautiful guitars. Recently got a Vela and Love it. Corey, that black is gorgeous.

I still have yet to fully capture the beauty of my two S2 Singlecuts... Guess I need a sunny day here in Portland. Tone and playability are off the hook. Here are a few, including my amp rig warming up for a weekend work out.

Dark Cherry Burst

Elephant Gray

Last edited:
I still have yet to fully capture the beauty of my two S2 Singlecuts... Guess I need a sunny day here in Portland. Tone and playability are off the hook. Here are a few, including my amp rig warming up for a weekend work out.

Lookin' good!

Question... Given that you have both SingleCuts... can you describe the difference in their sonic character amplified?

"Is it just me, or is it gold in here?"
IMG_20160221_122412871_zpseqmhbrqx.jpg

never played S2, what difference between S2 and Core models? for example cu22?
I think sustain, hardware, pickups? how much are they worse than core PRS? tnx

Question... Given that you have both SingleCuts... can you describe the difference in their sonic character amplified?

Yes! Both are 2015 models and are a perfect pair for comparison.
I upgraded the entire electronic package in each guitar in the same / identical way. Each have a set of S. Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers. Each have a control set from RS Guitar works (USA short shaft pots / switchcraft 3-way etc... best they had). Neither have coil splitting / tapping.

Not surprisingly, they do sound similar and yet each does have it's own (beautiful) voice and strengths.
The Semi-hollow (7 lbs.) has a softened attack but more bloom to the note. Sustain is reduced but still excellent. Tip top and deepest bottom seemed to be trimmed off. Tone is reminiscent of LP + 335 with a bit more spank.
This one is louder acoustically.

The Solid body (8.2 lbs) has a more direct / pronounced attack and outstanding sustain (more than the semi). This guitar is capable of delivering brighter and deeper tones. Tone is reminiscent of LP with more spank.
Every element of their dimensions is identical from one to the other (were it not for the weight, short of striking a note or a chord, you could not tell the difference).
This one is a tic louder / hotter plugged in (very slight).

The Duncan PAFs have given each guitar a wonderful, woody and classic tone that builds on the outstanding materials and construction of these top flight instruments (100% happy).
Each are a versatile choice for covering the Jazz (the Semi is a bit better here), Blues and rock (solid a bit better here) tones I love. If forced to give up one (thank God I'm not), I honestly could not pick between the two!
Choosing S2 has allowed me to have two premium USA made PRS guitars for the price of a single Core instrument. With them I have finally found my tonal and ergonomic home.
They will never leave me.

...final thought. The Duncan Antiquitys use a degaussed (aged) A2 magnet. Of late I have been using an Xotic EP Booster as the sole pedal going into the front end of my Rectoverb 25. It really seems to add to the richness of these pickups in particular. (your mileage may vary).

Last edited:
never played S2, what difference between S2 and Core models? for example cu22?
I think sustain, hardware, pickups? how much are they worse than core PRS? tnx

The S2 line is constructed and finished in the same USA factory as the core line but there are differences that keep the cost lower.
The maple tops are not as figured as the tops used in core.
There is a simple bevel on the top instead of the full carve.
The neck uses a scarf joint so it can be made from a smaller wood blank.
The tuners, pickups, and electronics are sourced and are different than the core counterparts.
The trem bridges are the SE bridge but the compensated stop tail is the same as core(although studs are metric on the S2)
Build quality is still top notch

Last edited:
Great S2s in this thread...still loving my S2 Cu22 Semi, though contemplating a PUP upgrade:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think its good new for prs s2 fan ;)

''All S2 guitars with a stoptail bridge will now come with the PRS adjustable stoptail – no upcharge / no part # change but additional value = win!
This happened a bit earlier than we anticipated due to the increase in production of S2 models
McCarty’s will be changing to the same bridge
Here is a photo of the new bridge outfitted on an S2 guitar… "

Back