Show A Little

IKnowALittle

... Kindness. Well, kinda an exaggeration, more like common courtesy, which is in short supply.
I was filling in with an Eagles tribute band, which I do fairly often, and hasn't any relevance to the story.

Between sets, I went to the bar to order a beer. It was busy and I ended up getting offered to be served before a young guy that had been waiting awhile for service. There was no malicious intent, just the way things go sometimes. Anyway, I asked the bartender to serve him first ... man, he was shocked, kinda gobsmacked.
Really trivial, inconsequential stuff, but it brightened up his nite a little.

You would never know it from my posts, but I do try to be a decent person.

Last edited:
What strikes me is that in 2017 common courtesy is considered exceptional rather than the norm.

True enough.
It's like giving positive feedback on ebay for doing the right thing with regard to describing the object accurately and shipping it properly ... doesn't seem that difficult.
Shouldn't that be the norm?
But, I'm old and old-school.

Good for you. Even a smile can mean a lot to someone having a bad day. I think we end up feeling better too! :)

Nicely done!

I'm old school too. I'm both happy, and sad by the reactions I get.

Common courtesy is on the decline. I'm old school as well. I hold doors open for people, hold the elevator, pick up things in the parking lot to take to the service counter, etc. To me it's just a decent human being. Same with calling every adult older than me "Sir" or "Ma'am" until given permission to address them otherwise (I tend to also say this to anyone serving me from gas station clerk to wait staff to tech support). Just a bit of kindness can change a persons day for the positive. I try to instill this in my boys.

I was shocked this morning when I open the door for a guy coming out of the gas station (his hands were full) and he actually said "Thank you! Have a great day Sir!" He was a 20 something driving a beater. Granted, the "Sir" part made me feel old (other than my bald spot I look younger than I am....ahem....40) but grattitude was nice to hear.

On the other hand, I got bitched out by a something young lady for opening a door for her a few months back. Gate swings both ways I guess.

... Kindness. Well, kinda an exaggeration, more like common courtesy, which is in short supply.
I was filling in with an Eagles tribute band, which I do fairly often, and hasn't any relevance to the story.

Between sets, I went to the bar to order a beer. It was busy and I ended up getting offered to be served before a young guy that had been waiting awhile for service. There was no malicious intent, just the way things go sometimes. Anyway, I asked the bartender to serve him first ... man, he was shocked, kinda gobsmacked.
Really trivial, inconsequential stuff, but it brightened up his nite a little.

You would never know it from my posts, but I do try to be a decent person.

It is not hard to give out gifts every day ...

I do these things as well but I also make sure my 13 year old son follows my lead.

This is the way I live.

People seem to be taken aback sometimes when I say "have a great day". I've always tried to use common courtesy.

People seem to be taken aback sometimes when I say "have a great day". I've always tried to use common courtesy.

I get this too. Some of it is stereotypes, I believe. Back in the 80s, with long hair, an earring and a leather jacket, it wasn't what people expected to hear. Today, bald and tatted up, it's still not. Society.....

The people where I work are the most rude people I've ever encountered when it comes to elevator etiquette. It's rare that anyone holds a door for you. I once saw a guy getting on an elevator look at a guy on crutches, then get on and not hold the door. He didn't realize that crutches can extend your reach - the dude on crutches reached out and caught the door, and I swear, I never wanted to be on an elevator more than I did that one, but it wasn't to be.

Back