Should They Stay Or Should They Go...

I think you have to ask yourself a couple things before you can do anything.

1) If I got rid of anything I have, is it replaceable?
2) If it is replaceable, can I find a better instrument or are these instruments I have currently lifetime keeper quality?
3) Do I need the money?
4) What do I gain by selling?
5) What do I lose by keeping?

To me, amps vary less from one to another but guitars are a different story. All of my guitars are what I could call lifer guitars. Within those guitars are some that are just absolutely exceptional and I don't feel I could ever find that good of an instrument again in that particular case. If your guitars are those kinds of guitars, I would keep them. If you really feel in your heart of hearts that you could easily find what you have again, as far as your guitars being exceptional pieces, then you have some decisions to make. If your guitars/amps are just really good, I would ponder how available those pieces are to get again (if you wanted to later) and weigh that as well. :)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Over the past 2 years, I have been determined to up my musical game with the orchestral stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't give much thought to what the heck to do with it once I started making progress, how concentrating it would affect my creative thinking, or other work - I just plowed ahead full-steam.

Something fundamental in my approach to music has changed. That's why it's been difficult to come to grips with what to do with the whole guitar/amp thing. I am honestly flummoxed over who/what I am musically now. I feel like I'm serving two masters.

When I go to get out a guitar and practice, I think, "Who cares? Get to work on that string quartet." When I pull up my orchestral template, I think, "Maybe I should be practicing guitar more."

To those who said wait and think it over, you're probably right. To those who said to take advantage of a hot market, you're probably right.

"How can they both be right?"

"Wow. You're right, too."

"I should start changing the strings on my electric guitars, shouldn't I?"

"Have you even done that this decade?"

"Um...possibly..." ;)
That's a very Zappa-esqe issue to have Les. Keep working it!

In regards to practice, I feel it should be done every day. The late Doc Severinsen was asked how often he practices, he said every day!

"Why do you practice every day? You're a genius and no one would know..."

Doc said "I can tell, and I would know and that's enough!"

Paraphrased but true to Doc.

That's a very Zappa-esqe issue to have Les. Keep working it!

In regards to practice, I feel it should be done every day. The late Doc Severinsen was asked how often he practices, he said every day!

"Why do you practice every day? You're a genius and no one would know..."

Doc said "I can tell, and I would know and that's enough!"

Paraphrased but true to Doc.
Hope Doc doesn’t read this….he’s still alive! :)

Well shoot....I'm different than everyone else I guess....I avoid posting NGDs cuz I'm prone to reselling if it's not a guitar that blows me away.
I mean I've bought and sold over 150 guitars of all types since 2015 hunting for what really speaks to me....not keeping even great guitars unless there is something specifically special in the tone or way it plays or how I use it.

Eventually you get to a point where you are ready to buy another guitar and you look at what you can sell....and you get stuck...lol...I think I'm finally there now with my main guitars. It's been a few months since I've sold a guitar but it took years to learn what I like and when to recognize when a guitar has it.

I can literally say I can't sell certain guitars because I know there is NO WAY i'll ever find a guitar like them again...unless I buy it back somehow.

If you have a guitar you are comfortable selling and you don't have a need for it.....sell it and move on...that means it didn't speak with you strongly enough. Yes there are plenty of great guitars out there....especially when you look at PRS guitars...but when a guitar connects...it's great...and you know. I think outta those 150+ guitars only 3 have come back to haunt my memories.

Sell....Sell now....when the time comes....if it comes...try something new. That future guitar might be one that hits you good.

I think you have to ask yourself a couple things before you can do anything.

1) If I got rid of anything I have, is it replaceable?
2) If it is replaceable, can I find a better instrument or are these instruments I have currently lifetime keeper quality?
3) Do I need the money?
4) What do I gain by selling?
5) What do I lose by keeping?

To me, amps vary less from one to another but guitars are a different story. All of my guitars are what I could call lifer guitars. Within those guitars are some that are just absolutely exceptional and I don't feel I could ever find that good of an instrument again in that particular case. If your guitars are those kinds of guitars, I would keep them. If you really feel in your heart of hearts that you could easily find what you have again, as far as your guitars being exceptional pieces, then you have some decisions to make. If your guitars/amps are just really good, I would ponder how available those pieces are to get again (if you wanted to later) and weigh that as well. :)
Great advice!

Well shoot....I'm different than everyone else I guess....I avoid posting NGDs cuz I'm prone to reselling if it's not a guitar that blows me away.
I mean I've bought and sold over 150 guitars of all types since 2015 hunting for what really speaks to me....not keeping even great guitars unless there is something specifically special in the tone or way it plays or how I use it.

Eventually you get to a point where you are ready to buy another guitar and you look at what you can sell....and you get stuck...lol...I think I'm finally there now with my main guitars. It's been a few months since I've sold a guitar but it took years to learn what I like and when to recognize when a guitar has it.

I can literally say I can't sell certain guitars because I know there is NO WAY i'll ever find a guitar like them again...unless I buy it back somehow.

If you have a guitar you are comfortable selling and you don't have a need for it.....sell it and move on...that means it didn't speak with you strongly enough. Yes there are plenty of great guitars out there....especially when you look at PRS guitars...but when a guitar connects...it's great...and you know. I think outta those 150+ guitars only 3 have come back to haunt my memories.

Sell....Sell now....when the time comes....if it comes...try something new. That future guitar might be one that hits you good.
Also great advice. Different from the first quote, but more as perspective than disagreement, and omg that’s a f#ck of a lot of guitars in a short time!

I’ve bought and sold about a third of that amount, but that’s going back to 1967, so…

Here’s where I am at this point:

i know exactly what I like in a guitar and don’t feel the need or desire to experiment further. I’ve got a few PS models that are my lifetimers.

The more I play them, the more perfect they prove themselves to be for my tastes.

Speaking only for myself, I’m certain that if i find a truly great instrument, it takes a few years of playing to learn its nuances, and about 5 years of play and seasoning to reach its potential.

So my PS guitars that I think are the greatest have stayed here at least that long; each has proven itself in my recording work, and paid for itself many times over. Those are permanent members of my posse. I’ve yet to play anything I’ve liked as much, and none better.

They’ve also gone through that seasoning, and my playing has become second nature working with their nuances. Keepers.

I only have one 594 Soapbar guitar, and it’s a good one. It’s useful and sounds cool. It’s been here since 2017, is seasoned and I know its sonic details. It’s not quite in the PS league, but I feel pretty good about it, and have done some ad tracks that called for it -- it’s hard to argue with success.

My Special Semi Hollow is kind of different, but hasn’t been around long enough to know well, it’s only a year old. I should get to know it better and give it time to season before deciding whether it’s a lifetime keeper.

I dunno. I go back and forth on this stuff minute by minute!

Last edited:
Don’t sell yet unless it’s something you really don’t use at all. You mentioned two masters guitar and orchestral…. Work on combining the two somehow for some really unique useful cool sounding pieces. Might be a challenge but you’re seriously talented and who knows where it will go……. If it doesn’t work out then purge what you have to. You have the tools, you have the talent, use both “masters” and conjure up some cool sh#t!

Mentioning your play time of 5 years in regards to seasoning, etc. It sounds like most of your guitars are keepers for life and the ones on the fence have yet to marinate long enough in the spices to truly know. Don't sell....at least not yet. :)

Mentioning your play time of 5 years in regards to seasoning, etc. It sounds like most of your guitars are keepers for life and the ones on the fence have yet to marinate long enough in the spices to truly know. Don't sell....at least not yet. :)

I'm still getting to know amps that I bought nearly twenty years ago. I work on the basis that what's good now may well reveal itself to be spectacular somewhere further down the line.

So yes, I agree: a very leisurely approach will serve you best in the long run; maybe even adding a few more will help you reach a better understanding of their virtues.............:cool:

I think I'll take your advice. I may be jumping the gun if I sell anything now.

I'm still getting to know amps that I bought nearly twenty years ago. I work on the basis that what's good now may well reveal itself to be spectacular somewhere further down the line.

So yes, I agree: a very leisurely approach will serve you best in the long run; maybe even adding a few more will help you reach a better understanding of their virtues.............:cool:
Haha! I won't say never. Maybe further down the line?

The amount of gear owned is directly proportional to happiness.
Therefore keep it all.
You wouldn’t want to sell your happiness would you?
Well...too much gear drives me crazy. And too little gear also drives me crazy.

"The right amount of gear doesn't solve your 'crazy problem' either, Les."

"True, but it's fun-crazy vs bad-crazy."

Well...too much gear drives me crazy. And too little gear also drives me crazy.

"The right amount of gear doesn't solve your 'crazy problem' either, Les."

"True, but it's fun-crazy vs bad-crazy."
I don’t like too much either. Some day I’ll do something about it.
In the meantime, Eddie’s has a really appealing guitar.

Knowing you, I wouldn’t sell anything off for awhile. Although I could get behind letting something at the bottom of the ladder go if means you buy that Matchless. I spend a piece of every day wishing I had the time or energy to plug into my Matchless or Bad Cat. It may motivate you to plug in a guitar and play more. I recently picked up a couple cool pedals that sound divine through those amps, the little time I’ve had to play. Also makes me want to start another/different band that they’d be more applicable in.

Knowing you, I wouldn’t sell anything off for awhile. Although I could get behind letting something at the bottom of the ladder go if means you buy that Matchless. I spend a piece of every day wishing I had the time or energy to plug into my Matchless or Bad Cat. It may motivate you to plug in a guitar and play more. I recently picked up a couple cool pedals that sound divine through those amps, the little time I’ve had to play. Also makes me want to start another/different band that they’d be more applicable in.
Hmmm. Good points!

Now you've got me thinking...sell a guitar....get Matchless/Bad Cat...Matchless/Bad Cat...

I suppose I could sell the 594 Soapbar, because I use Soapies less than humbuckers in my work. Thinking...

Last edited:
Back